What do you think about only one port?

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I am just an average user and it is my first Mac.... the one port so far (had the laptop few weeks now) does not bother me, I'm using the Apple HDMI adapter which is fine when I need it although is expensive. Depends what you want from your laptop ... for me the one port is not a real issue and like have a super slim laptop!

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
It's the same as optical drives. Today, none of the laptops being offered by Apple has one, except for the one non-retina MBP. The question to ask is: How often do you use those ports? If you're like many users, placing data on the cloud, then this machine is for you. For me, I'm happy with my MacBook so far. None to complain.

The lack of optical drive is obnoxious, but liveable. There are alternatives to the CD-drive given the advancements in thumb drives and streaming services. But because I have a very large (and ever-growing) CD collection, having some sort of CD-rom drive is essential for me. I do have an external player from the netbook days, so I can live without one in the laptop if necessary. That said, I need USB right now because there is no alternative to it. I need to be able to sync my phone, use my scanner (which does not work through hubs), my printer, my external keyboard and mouse at my desk...

This laptop just isn't practical for a large portion of the market. At least, not for the price. If this machine were $200, then fine. But not for $1200. For half the cost, I can buy a refurbed Macbook/Pro/Air on eBay with 10x the functionality. I just don't see any advantages to this machine. I mean, even if you can't justify having ports on your machine, it doesn't hurt to have them. Particularly when the price is lower.

Apple is just obsessed with this Bauhaus mentality where everything has to be stripped to its very core to where it just barely can be labelled as a laptop. Sure, thin chairs made of one curved piece of plastic are still functional... but that doesn't make them comfortable.

hitmanbb88

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
The lack of optical drive is obnoxious, but liveable. There are alternatives to the CD-drive given the advancements in thumb drives and streaming services. But because I have a very large (and ever-growing) CD collection, having some sort of CD-rom drive is essential for me. I do have an external player from the netbook days, so I can live without one in the laptop if necessary. That said, I need USB right now because there is no alternative to it. I need to be able to sync my phone, use my scanner (which does not work through hubs), my printer, my external keyboard and mouse at my desk...

This laptop just isn't practical for a large portion of the market. At least, not for the price. If this machine were $200, then fine. But not for $1200. For half the cost, I can buy a refurbed Macbook/Pro/Air on eBay with 10x the functionality. I just don't see any advantages to this machine. I mean, even if you can't justify having ports on your machine, it doesn't hurt to have them. Particularly when the price is lower.

Apple is just obsessed with this Bauhaus mentality where everything has to be stripped to its very core to where it just barely can be labelled as a laptop. Sure, thin chairs made of one curved piece of plastic are still functional... but that doesn't make them comfortable.

I do see your point. Not all product is considered to be "one-size fits all" though. I wouldn't say that it's not for a large portion of the market, as there may be a large portion of the market that the rMB meets their needs. Only Apple knows exactly how much they've sold.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The '15 Macbook has sold quite well apparently, so there is a pretty large market for it after all. At the end of the day, it's not for you...big deal. The computer focuses it's merits on people who prefer streaming and downloadable media/support. You said you have a very large CD collection...this is a pretty good indicator that this machine wasn't ever intended to be attractive to you as a consumer product.

I'm sure there are still people who have enormous VHS collections that feel the lack of VCR's in the current market is ridiculous, and to them, that line of thinking makes total sense...as ridiculous as it actually is when looking at the over all picture.

Notice that Apple also still carries their Macbook Pro line as well as their desktop offerings. This most recent Macbook release was not supposed to take the place of any of those machines...it was simply a different offering to attract a specific group of consumers (which it did, quite successfully apparently). When the Macbook Pro comes out, it will include features more focused on what those types of consumers find important (USB's, for instance, given the amount of peripherals used with MBP's that are still 100% focused on USB connections).

Apple makes a lot of products...not all of them will be completely attractive to every consumer. Some might not be attractive at all to every consumer. Just because you don't find it worth while, is it really logical to think Apple should just avoid marketing it to other people? I personally cannot stand the Apple TV unit, but I know it works really well for some people. I feel Apple should have done 1,000 things to make that product better, but to some, it's perfect as it sits. By your logic, because I don't see a usefulness in the Apple TV, Apple shouldn't have ever made it, or should have made it exactly how I wanted it.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
The '15 Macbook has sold quite well apparently, so there is a pretty large market for it after all. At the end of the day, it's not for you...big deal. The computer focuses it's merits on people who prefer streaming and downloadable media/support. You said you have a very large CD collection...this is a pretty good indicator that this machine wasn't ever intended to be attractive to you as a consumer product.

I'm sure there are still people who have enormous VHS collections that feel the lack of VCR's in the current market is ridiculous, and to them, that line of thinking makes total sense...as ridiculous as it actually is when looking at the over all picture.

Notice that Apple also still carries their Macbook Pro line as well as their desktop offerings. This most recent Macbook release was not supposed to take the place of any of those machines...it was simply a different offering to attract a specific group of consumers (which it did, quite successfully apparently). When the Macbook Pro comes out, it will include features more focused on what those types of consumers find important (USB's, for instance, given the amount of peripherals used with MBP's that are still 100% focused on USB connections).

Apple makes a lot of products...not all of them will be completely attractive to every consumer. Some might not be attractive at all to every consumer. Just because you don't find it worth while, is it really logical to think Apple should just avoid marketing it to other people? I personally cannot stand the Apple TV unit, but I know it works really well for some people. I feel Apple should have done 1,000 things to make that product better, but to some, it's perfect as it sits. By your logic, because I don't see a usefulness in the Apple TV, Apple shouldn't have ever made it, or should have made it exactly how I wanted it.

Well you didn't address the issue with the price. I don't have a problem with the product itself so much as what Apple is charging for this product. That's a big reason for the criticism. I mean, we all know about the Apple tax and how you pay for branding, design in addition to high-quality and longevity. But this is really obscene and, in my opinion, taking it too far. I mean make all the ultra-thin laptops you want but don't charge $1200 for a machine with fewer features. I feel that's disrespectful to Apple consumers. This machine is being sold at a higher price than my Macbook Pro was at the time of its release, but it's not bringing anything new to the table. Quite the contrary, it's removing features. I just don't see a USB port as "professional" feature really... In the computer world, USB 2/3 isn't going anywhere for a while. It will eventually be phased out, but it's not going to be anytime soon (at least, that's my prediction).

Anyway. Just my two cents. If you're happy with your laptop, that's cool. Do you. But I haven't seen anybody been able to justify the price.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site

You don't have to buy one you know ;) I have never seen the point of a portable laptop with all that crap plugged into it unless it never leaves a desk but Gee just buy a iMac or desktop Pc and stop your winging. $200 very funny, and i wouldn't have a Air if it was free, well i would take it and sell it, you heard of Retina. And what's a CD :) I sync my phone and Cd drive with it just fine.
Haven't you figured it out yet WIRELESS is the future, wireless sync, printer/scanner, airplay, too easy. Cables and USB, CD's will die a slow death.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Well you didn't address the issue with the price. I don't have a problem with the product itself so much as what Apple is charging for this product. That's a big reason for the criticism. I mean, we all know about the Apple tax and how you pay for branding, design in addition to high-quality and longevity. But this is really obscene and, in my opinion, taking it too far. I mean make all the ultra-thin laptops you want but don't charge $1200 for a machine with fewer features. I feel that's disrespectful to Apple consumers. This machine is being sold at a higher price than my Macbook Pro was at the time of its release, but it's not bringing anything new to the table. Quite the contrary, it's removing features. I just don't see a USB port as "professional" feature really... In the computer world, USB 2/3 isn't going anywhere for a while. It will eventually be phased out, but it's not going to be anytime soon (at least, that's my prediction).

Anyway. Just my two cents. If you're happy with your laptop, that's cool. Do you. But I haven't seen anybody been able to justify the price.

Actually a new keyboard and track pad, no fans, better speakers, no light bleed, and the size are pretty big new features if you ask me.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Nobody has to justify the price of something to anyone but themselves...if I want to spend $2,000 on the '15 Macbook, that is my business...maybe it is worth it to me for some function it has, or maybe I just like the way it looks enough to spend the money (for clarities sake, I do not feel it is worth the cost either, FYI).

There is no "issue" with the cost, you simply don't feel it's worth it...and that's fine, don't buy it. Lots of people feel otherwise, and they have bought one.

And the '15 brings plenty of "new" things to the table that even the current MBP's don't have...battery efficiency, form factor, interior design which renders cooling fans irrelevant, the new keyboard, haptic trackpad (though the most recent MBP did get that), and I'm sure I'm missing a few things. And Apple priced it where they felt it was appropriate within their line of computers...don't agree? Congratulations, you've made a consumer decision...doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the pricing point, it just means it's not for you.

I'm not sure what is hard to understand about that. I personally don't feel that Mac Pro is worth the money Apple asks for it, but I don't sit here and complain that Apple is doing something wrong by charging that...it is what it is, and a lot of people buy them for what they ask, so why wouldn't they?

Your issue is that you approach this strictly from a consumer stance, so your priorities and your opinions of what is "fair" is kind of a moot point, because you're not in the market of making a profit off these products.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Nobody has to justify the price of something to anyone but themselves...if I want to spend $2,000 on the '15 Macbook, that is my business...maybe it is worth it to me for some function it has, or maybe I just like the way it looks enough to spend the money (for clarities sake, I do not feel it is worth the cost either, FYI).

There is no "issue" with the cost, you simply don't feel it's worth it...and that's fine, don't buy it. Lots of people feel otherwise, and they have bought one.

And the '15 brings plenty of "new" things to the table that even the current MBP's don't have...battery efficiency, form factor, interior design which renders cooling fans irrelevant, the new keyboard, haptic trackpad (though the most recent MBP did get that), and I'm sure I'm missing a few things. And Apple priced it where they felt it was appropriate within their line of computers...don't agree? Congratulations, you've made a consumer decision...doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the pricing point, it just means it's not for you.

I'm not sure what is hard to understand about that. I personally don't feel that Mac Pro is worth the money Apple asks for it, but I don't sit here and complain that Apple is doing something wrong by charging that...it is what it is, and a lot of people buy them for what they ask, so why wouldn't they?

Your issue is that you approach this strictly from a consumer stance, so your priorities and your opinions of what is "fair" is kind of a moot point, because you're not in the market of making a profit off these products.

All the things you listed don't justify the price from a business standpoint. It's not simply opinion that's influencing my decision. The new Macbooks don't stand alone, but amongst all of the rival products and standards. The Macbook shoots way passed the average pricing for what you actually get. That's just fact. I mean, the new keyboard feels pretty similar to the Microsoft Surface keyboard if you ask me, so I don't know that I can call that innovative. Haptic feedback does not require $500 worth of work. Cell phones and mp3 players have had them for a very, very long time, and it's not exactly a major implement. And while the lack of cooling fans is a serious improvement (should this model hold up over time), that's still less product Apple has to buy, meaning you're being charged for things that aren't there. Not only that, but the laptop is upgradeable, meaning you have no option to improve its performance. The ratio of inflation on the price of the Macbook is higher than just about any Apple product (except the Mac Pro-- we agree here). That's not opinion.

My opinion: The thing is junk. It's not functional, and it's lame.

Fact: From a financial standpoint, Apple pays next to nothing to make these and is charging a ridiculous amount of money for it-- higher than most other Apple products (in relation to manufacture and shipment costs). Kind of reminds me of the iPod/iPod Mini pricing disaster. Where the iPod Mini was $250 for 4GB and the iPod 4th Gen was $300 for 20GB...

Sorry if I wasn't clear. But seeing as this is a forum and this is a thread asking about how opinions on the new Macbook... I'll feel free to state my opinion. Same as you're allowed to post yours.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You continue to struggle with identifying what is actually fact and what is still your opinion...saying apple is charging a "ridiculous amount of money for it" is not a fact, that is an opinion...stating that the features on the device are not worthy of the pricing point is also opinionated, and not factual. We get it...your opinion is that it is not worth the money and it is priced too high based on what you get in the overall package. Fantastic...thanks for sharing your opinion (which, btw, I never once said anything against you sharing, contrary to what the last part of your post implies).

At the end of the day, the fact is that Apple offers a machine with a slew of new features not found on any other Apple computer with a noticeably different form factor than anything we've seen so far from the company in this realm. You get more memory and storage with the base model machine than you do with the Macbook Air in a package that has a better form factor for mobility because of size and weight.

Those are the facts. Is it worth it? To someone it is, otherwise they wouldn't have sold so many of them. To me? Not at all...even if the thing was $900 I wouldn't have considered it because of the processor that it has and lack of inputs that I require on any machine that I own. Does that make the '15 Macbook overpriced? Only in my personal opinion...nothing factual about that at all.

To be 100% honest, my opinion is that everything Apple sells is over priced. Their pre-purchase upgrade pricing on machines that have little to no post-purchase customization options are ridiculous (which is why I still run a '12 model non-retina MBP that would probably run circles around the newest retina MBP's because I can customize it all I want). The premium they put on the machines compared to what you could piece together yourself is absurd (especially for gaming). Nothing Apple offers in their line of products is priced "fairly" to me, but I like the products, so I don't mind paying a premium for the ones I actually want...and I also don't mind paying more for the customer service I know I'll get with it, which is second to no company of this nature.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm just not making myself clear or not. What I'm trying to say is that for the price of manufacturing the new Macbook (including new components) is the most disparate to the price they are charging. Rather than putting a value on the "features" (if you can even call them that), I'm saying that consumers are left with a machine that's worth very little in terms of raw materials.

Fake example:

Macbook A, we'll say from five years ago or whatever:
Component A: $10
Component B: $50
Component C: $120
Component D: $50
Price: $999

Macbook 2015:
Component A: $1
Component B: $20
Component C: $80
Component D: $30
Price: $1200

So Apple is increasing their profits by not only decreasing their manufacturing costs, but also by increased pricing. Basically, people pay more for less. If you think that the USB port in your Macbook Air was causing you severe backache and that this new model is worth that price increase... do your thing. But that doesn't mean what I said is false. Apple buys less components to make the laptop and is charging more. The opinion aspect is whether or not the so-called "features" make up that price difference. My opinion is no. And it seems yours is too.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Your argument about cost to manufacture vs. the price they charge is moot...all companies do that. Car manufacturers have made an art out of it (IE: Lambo's Superleggera Gallardo, Porsche's RS model of the 911 GT3, BMW's GTS model of the M3, etc).

And in the end, you're simply basing product cost on raw materials alone...development costs money, design costs money, marketing costs money, manufacturing costs money, service/support/warranty costs money...and those are only the tangible things. People pay more for luxury items (and Apple sells luxury items), they pay more for things they feel look nice, feel nice and things they think make them look cool (as pitiful as it may seem)...so while yes, the '15 Macbook may only cost "x" amount to actually make, trying to justify cost based solely on that manufacturing cost is asinine, and it seems odd that you'd choose this product over all else to get so hung up on...did you see how much the Mac Pro cost when it was first released a couple of years ago? LOL! My guess is the gap was easily 2-3 times that of this machine in terms of profit per machine.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Kind of helps my point, though. lol I mean, doesn't matter how many companies do it. Doesn't make it right...

But I'll stop. I feel like some people have their daggers aimed at my throat for talking poorly of the mighty glowing Apple and daring to question their pricing strategy...

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
My opinion: The thing is junk. It's not functional, and it's lame.

This proves you have no idea about the rMB and are just trolling, as far as your rant about over priced Apple products i agree that they are expensive especially in AUD, BUT you heard the saying you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Tax right offs for me.
What you are paying for is 99% of the time a good product, (sure they have problems but returns and swaps are easy) ease of integration together, A1 service and re sale value and are easy to sell.
In my 6 years with Apple products i have had a iMac screen replaced free 2 years out of warranty, iPhones replaced out of warranty have a new IP5 coming today no charge. I have found re sale around 2 years old = 2/3 of original cost, just sold a 2 year old mbpr for $1600 paid $2,000 new, sold a 4 year old 27" iMac for half of what i paid. Try doing that with any other brand.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Kind of helps my point, though. lol I mean, doesn't matter how many companies do it. Doesn't make it right...

But I'll stop. I feel like some people have their daggers aimed at my throat for talking poorly of the mighty glowing Apple and daring to question their pricing strategy...

So you'll take that petty jab as you "stop" because you have no real argument here with any factual information...just conjecture and opinion. Bottom line, Apple is a business, and businesses have ONE SINGULAR GOAL...make as much money as possible for as long a period as they can. Again, you can't define what is "right" based on the things you find important or the things you value and attribute that to EVERY person...to some, this Macbook is priced JUST right, and they bought it and are enjoying it because it was perfect for them.

Has nothing to do with the 'mighty glowing Apple', it has to do with personal choices and valuations on products. You seem to think that because you don't value something, nobody should...and that just isolates you as someone who probably should have "stopped" their participation in the conversation days ago before bringing the "dagger" to their own throat.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
You know... I tried to keep it respectful in my posts and, for the most part, light-hearted.

But some of you people are just rude, rude, rude. And you both just demonstrated my suspicion. Challenge or question anything about an Apple product and the daggers comes out.

To reiterate, my answer to the question is this: The lack of ports on the new Macbook prevent it from truly being a laptop. It's $1200 for a glorified iPad. It's a product I can't see anybody outside of hardcore Apple fans using, solely because of the inflated price. Even for a basic user who is only going to be checking e-mail, this isn't the laptop I would buy because of that laughable price tag. I'll spend $150 on a Chromebook before spending an extra grand for absolutely no reason at all. Personally, I'd feel had.

Last post. I'll go throw myself before the glowing Apple and pray away my devious thoughts. :lips-sealed:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You know... I tried to keep it respectful in my posts and, for the most part, light-hearted.

But some of you people are just rude, rude, rude. And you both just demonstrated my suspicion. Challenge or question anything about an Apple product and the daggers comes out.

To reiterate, my answer to the question is this: The lack of ports on the new Macbook prevent it from truly being a laptop. It's $1200 for a glorified iPad. It's a product I can't see anybody outside of hardcore Apple fans using, solely because of the inflated price. Even for a basic user who is only going to be checking e-mail, this isn't the laptop I would buy because of that laughable price tag. I'll spend $150 on a Chromebook before spending an extra grand for absolutely no reason at all. Personally, I'd feel had.

Last post. I'll go throw myself before the glowing Apple and pray away my devious thoughts. :lips-sealed:

You call us rude, yet you're the one who started in with the pot shots...pot calling the kettle black. Go figure.

You came in here and made a blanket comment that this computer was overpriced, had no actual improvements and implied that no one should buy it because it's not worth the asking price...you then tried to pass that on as FACT. It was clear to see your opinion on the subject from the start, but you kept feeling the need to reiterate it as if people needed to accept it as more than just opinion, which it is not.

Your formula for figuring "value" is skewed.
Your opinion is nothing more than just that...a personal opinion.
You can't maintain a strong or on topic argument without taking pot shots.

...and you want to come here and call US rude? Pfft. Go buy your chromebook, literally no one cares...especially those who actually do see value in this Macbook. You're quick to jump to that "Apple fanboy" argument because you can't defend your own thoughts for any legitimate length of time. Kind of pitiful really...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW