You continue to struggle with identifying what is actually fact and what is still your opinion...saying apple is charging a "ridiculous amount of money for it" is not a fact, that is an opinion...stating that the features on the device are not worthy of the pricing point is also opinionated, and not factual. We get it...your opinion is that it is not worth the money and it is priced too high based on what you get in the overall package. Fantastic...thanks for sharing your opinion (which, btw, I never once said anything against you sharing, contrary to what the last part of your post implies).

At the end of the day, the fact is that Apple offers a machine with a slew of new features not found on any other Apple computer with a noticeably different form factor than anything we've seen so far from the company in this realm. You get more memory and storage with the base model machine than you do with the Macbook Air in a package that has a better form factor for mobility because of size and weight.

Those are the facts. Is it worth it? To someone it is, otherwise they wouldn't have sold so many of them. To me? Not at all...even if the thing was $900 I wouldn't have considered it because of the processor that it has and lack of inputs that I require on any machine that I own. Does that make the '15 Macbook overpriced? Only in my personal opinion...nothing factual about that at all.

To be 100% honest, my opinion is that everything Apple sells is over priced. Their pre-purchase upgrade pricing on machines that have little to no post-purchase customization options are ridiculous (which is why I still run a '12 model non-retina MBP that would probably run circles around the newest retina MBP's because I can customize it all I want). The premium they put on the machines compared to what you could piece together yourself is absurd (especially for gaming). Nothing Apple offers in their line of products is priced "fairly" to me, but I like the products, so I don't mind paying a premium for the ones I actually want...and I also don't mind paying more for the customer service I know I'll get with it, which is second to no company of this nature.
    kch50428 and hitmanbb88 like this.
    06-11-2015 09:58 AM
    I'm not sure if I'm just not making myself clear or not. What I'm trying to say is that for the price of manufacturing the new Macbook (including new components) is the most disparate to the price they are charging. Rather than putting a value on the "features" (if you can even call them that), I'm saying that consumers are left with a machine that's worth very little in terms of raw materials.

Fake example:

Macbook A, we'll say from five years ago or whatever:
    Component A: $10
    Component B: $50
    Component C: $120
    Component D: $50
    Price: $999

Macbook 2015:
    Component A: $1
    Component B: $20
    Component C: $80
    Component D: $30
    Price: $1200

So Apple is increasing their profits by not only decreasing their manufacturing costs, but also by increased pricing. Basically, people pay more for less. If you think that the USB port in your Macbook Air was causing you severe backache and that this new model is worth that price increase... do your thing. But that doesn't mean what I said is false. Apple buys less components to make the laptop and is charging more. The opinion aspect is whether or not the so-called "features" make up that price difference. My opinion is no. And it seems yours is too.
    06-11-2015 01:45 PM
    Your argument about cost to manufacture vs. the price they charge is moot...all companies do that. Car manufacturers have made an art out of it (IE: Lambo's Superleggera Gallardo, Porsche's RS model of the 911 GT3, BMW's GTS model of the M3, etc).

And in the end, you're simply basing product cost on raw materials alone...development costs money, design costs money, marketing costs money, manufacturing costs money, service/support/warranty costs money...and those are only the tangible things. People pay more for luxury items (and Apple sells luxury items), they pay more for things they feel look nice, feel nice and things they think make them look cool (as pitiful as it may seem)...so while yes, the '15 Macbook may only cost "x" amount to actually make, trying to justify cost based solely on that manufacturing cost is asinine, and it seems odd that you'd choose this product over all else to get so hung up on...did you see how much the Mac Pro cost when it was first released a couple of years ago? LOL! My guess is the gap was easily 2-3 times that of this machine in terms of profit per machine.
    hitmanbb88 likes this.
    06-11-2015 02:29 PM
    Kind of helps my point, though. lol I mean, doesn't matter how many companies do it. Doesn't make it right...

But I'll stop. I feel like some people have their daggers aimed at my throat for talking poorly of the mighty glowing Apple and daring to question their pricing strategy...
    06-11-2015 05:46 PM
    My opinion: The thing is junk. It's not functional, and it's lame.
    This proves you have no idea about the rMB and are just trolling, as far as your rant about over priced Apple products i agree that they are expensive especially in AUD, BUT you heard the saying you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Tax right offs for me.
    What you are paying for is 99% of the time a good product, (sure they have problems but returns and swaps are easy) ease of integration together, A1 service and re sale value and are easy to sell.
    In my 6 years with Apple products i have had a iMac screen replaced free 2 years out of warranty, iPhones replaced out of warranty have a new IP5 coming today no charge. I have found re sale around 2 years old = 2/3 of original cost, just sold a 2 year old mbpr for $1600 paid $2,000 new, sold a 4 year old 27" iMac for half of what i paid. Try doing that with any other brand.
    06-11-2015 07:09 PM
    Kind of helps my point, though. lol I mean, doesn't matter how many companies do it. Doesn't make it right...

But I'll stop. I feel like some people have their daggers aimed at my throat for talking poorly of the mighty glowing Apple and daring to question their pricing strategy...
    So you'll take that petty jab as you "stop" because you have no real argument here with any factual information...just conjecture and opinion. Bottom line, Apple is a business, and businesses have ONE SINGULAR GOAL...make as much money as possible for as long a period as they can. Again, you can't define what is "right" based on the things you find important or the things you value and attribute that to EVERY person...to some, this Macbook is priced JUST right, and they bought it and are enjoying it because it was perfect for them.

Has nothing to do with the 'mighty glowing Apple', it has to do with personal choices and valuations on products. You seem to think that because you don't value something, nobody should...and that just isolates you as someone who probably should have "stopped" their participation in the conversation days ago before bringing the "dagger" to their own throat.
    06-11-2015 10:35 PM
    You know... I tried to keep it respectful in my posts and, for the most part, light-hearted.

But some of you people are just rude, rude, rude. And you both just demonstrated my suspicion. Challenge or question anything about an Apple product and the daggers comes out.

To reiterate, my answer to the question is this: The lack of ports on the new Macbook prevent it from truly being a laptop. It's $1200 for a glorified iPad. It's a product I can't see anybody outside of hardcore Apple fans using, solely because of the inflated price. Even for a basic user who is only going to be checking e-mail, this isn't the laptop I would buy because of that laughable price tag. I'll spend $150 on a Chromebook before spending an extra grand for absolutely no reason at all. Personally, I'd feel had.

Last post. I'll go throw myself before the glowing Apple and pray away my devious thoughts.
    06-12-2015 01:24 AM
    Last post. I'll go throw myself before the glowing Apple and pray away my devious thoughts.
    Dude you and this glowing Apple BS is straight childish straight nerd overdose.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    06-12-2015 07:29 AM
    You know... I tried to keep it respectful in my posts and, for the most part, light-hearted.

But some of you people are just rude, rude, rude. And you both just demonstrated my suspicion. Challenge or question anything about an Apple product and the daggers comes out.

To reiterate, my answer to the question is this: The lack of ports on the new Macbook prevent it from truly being a laptop. It's $1200 for a glorified iPad. It's a product I can't see anybody outside of hardcore Apple fans using, solely because of the inflated price. Even for a basic user who is only going to be checking e-mail, this isn't the laptop I would buy because of that laughable price tag. I'll spend $150 on a Chromebook before spending an extra grand for absolutely no reason at all. Personally, I'd feel had.

You call us rude, yet you're the one who started in with the pot shots...pot calling the kettle black. Go figure.

You came in here and made a blanket comment that this computer was overpriced, had no actual improvements and implied that no one should buy it because it's not worth the asking price...you then tried to pass that on as FACT. It was clear to see your opinion on the subject from the start, but you kept feeling the need to reiterate it as if people needed to accept it as more than just opinion, which it is not.

Your formula for figuring "value" is skewed.
    Your opinion is nothing more than just that...a personal opinion.
    You can't maintain a strong or on topic argument without taking pot shots.

...and you want to come here and call US rude? Pfft. Go buy your chromebook, literally no one cares...especially those who actually do see value in this Macbook. You're quick to jump to that "Apple fanboy" argument because you can't defend your own thoughts for any legitimate length of time. Kind of pitiful really...
    06-12-2015 10:25 AM
59 123