What do you think of the new MacBook?

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Honestly? Consumer test like the original Macbook Air. Work out the kinks and in a few product revisions have something really awesome.

Design, well it is beautiful obviously. The gold case has me drooling.

Performance - We need to see more benchmarks, but a Core-M isn't going to get it done for me. Bottom line it is underspecced for what I need a computer to do. Lack of ports is also a no go. I use my USB ports and SD card reader a lot. I use HDMI output less frequently but still often enough that it is something I want to have. MagSafe and Thunderbolt are two of the best connection types out there - we need more of this, not less.

Price - Far to high for what it brings to the table. For me I see no compelling reason to purchase this over a rMBP. Someone on reddit mentioned that the MBr does sport a 256 GB SSD but that is not enough to sell me. I'd rather the smaller drive or pay more for the rMBP to have the similar SSD. The Pro's ports and Haswell (well Broadwell now) CPU are far more valuable to me than a super thin profile and beefier storage.

We are in a weird spot now where the Air replaced the original Macbook and now the Macbook is taking the market that the Air once catered to. I didn't have much use for the Airs before they improved and replaced the MacBooks and now I don't have much use for the new MacBook. It is a cool first attempt but part of me is anticipating a niche machine or a lot of returns. I do hope they continue to work on and improve the technology behind it. As wireless tech improves it is probably that we will see more and more devices relying on wifi and bluetooth signals for connectivity, making a lot of those ports redundant. That'll be fine when we get there but for now I need my ports.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it's cool looking computer that has size/weight appeal that will make most normal consumers absolutely happy with it.

I think it's about $300 too expensive for optimal sales numbers (but because it's NEW, it'll sell well initially).

I think their decision to leave off a standard USB port was a mistake, but I've felt Apple's connector decisions in the past have been mistakes as well, and they very quickly become common place so my opinion on this may not be relevant for very long.

I would never own this Macbook...but it is exciting to see where the rest of the line up is heading. Macbook Pro's with a similar profile, function and some more "Pro" like features will make me a happy camper, and will probably FINALLY pull me out of my 2012 model (which is still running like a champ!)

Tilman Mueller

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I was really looking forward to buy this new MacBook, since I'm "ready for an Upgrade" but when I look at the naked specs, Jesus... It just feels they tried to save every Penny - I mean come on, there's just a SD FaceTime Camera installed?! Why not HD, like every other Model too?

Besides that, this MacBook is really gorgeous! It still looks promising.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Expensive and beautiful ;)

I'm wondering, if we use this new macbook at windy location, will the screen shaking ? Tried that with my mba, and the screen being pushed to max bend position, quite embarassing lol

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Design-wise it's clearly the future.

Is it the right purchase for lots of us? Well, according to Linus Torvalds, the ideal form factor for a laptop is a 12-inch screen weighing 2 lbs.

Would I get it? My 2013 Air treats me well. When it's time to upgrade, do I do this or a 13-inch Retina Pro? Dunno. Depends on where I'm at by then.

Would have liked a second port -- maybe a USB C on the other side too?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Expensive and beautiful ;)

I'm wondering, if we use this new macbook at windy location, will the screen shaking ? Tried that with my mba, and the screen being pushed to max bend position, quite embarassing lol

What the heck are you talking about?...(laughing)

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
What the heck are you talking about?...(laughing)

Well i'm serious, sometimes i used my macbookair on windy location, and since the wind was so strong, the screen of my mac was pushed to its maximum bend or even nearly closed my mac's screen if the wind was from the opposite direction. :p

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend that thinks this is the perfect size for a laptop for herself. She isn't a power user, and would only be using it to watch streaming video online and a few other simple things, so I think this would be perfect for her. As for me, I'm rocking a 15" rMBP, so no go for me. If the next 15" rMBP comes in gold, I'm sure I can find a way to afford to upgrade to it.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Not a fan what's so ever. I honestly think it's A pointless product. If this was the MacBook Pro with better specs with all the goodies this MacBook has, then I'll be getting it.

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Gotta save something for next year haha
Yeah. That's where I'm at with both this and the Apple Watch -- they look great, but I want the model that's an iteration or two ahead of this. Till then, I'll go with what I have (2013 Air, Pebble (Time)).

But these are the designs I want, eventually.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a friend that thinks this is the perfect size for a laptop for herself. She isn't a power user, and would only be using it to watch streaming video online and a few other simple things, so I think this would be perfect for her. As for me, I'm rocking a 15" rMBP, so no go for me. If the next 15" rMBP comes in gold, I'm sure I can find a way to afford to upgrade to it.

I think why so many people are conflicted with this laptop is because it sounds like your friend could probably get away with just buying an iPad Air 2 and maybe a keyboard case with it if she needs to type a lot, which would save her a lot of money. This would be my kind of laptop, except it's just too expensive and I already bought a new rMBP last year.

Since I type so well on an iPad already and I find myself needing to do fewer things on a laptop, a machine like this would be perfect for me for the times I do need a "real" OS, but not at that price.

jlawson83

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I think its the future and when the Air first came out a lot of the same things were being said about it. If you don't like this 1st Gen version that wait cause just like with the air things will slowly change and improve. Dont count this Macbook out its not the end just a new beginning.

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I think why so many people are conflicted with this laptop is because it sounds like your friend could probably get away with just buying an iPad Air 2 and maybe a keyboard case with it if she needs to type a lot, which would save her a lot of money. This would be my kind of laptop, except it's just too expensive and I already bought a new rMBP last year.

Since I type so well on an iPad already and I find myself needing to do fewer things on a laptop, a machine like this would be perfect for me for the times I do need a "real" OS, but not at that price.

Actually, she has an iPad mini already with a keyboard case, but would prefer a laptop to have as a full time computer. She owns a 17" Toshiba with an Intel Core Duo and it runs Windows 7, but she doesn't like the size. Plus the Retina in this MacBook far exceeds that Toshiba like night and day. What I will most likely do is talk her into the 13" rMBP since it's the same price, and just limit what extra software I would like to install since it's really not necessary to install stuff she doesn't use. I just hope the next generation MBP's come in gold this fall.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I keep reading reviews and responses to this machine from all over the internet that actually make me laugh a little bit...people are so caught up in their own personal preferences and requirements when it comes to computers that they forget that companies still make devices for OTHER people! I mean sure...this Macbook does nothing for me personally (outside of looking nice), but that doesn't make it pointless...or a waste of time. There are going to be HORDES of people who buy this thing and use it and love it and because of that, it has a spot in the lineup just like the old regular Macbook's did back in 2009/10 (and the years before that).

I started my Apple computer adventure with a regular Macbook...I'd like to think that someone else will start their own love for Apple computers in the same fashion with these beautiful notebooks. My only qualm with them is that they are priced too high, but if Apple can move them, who am I to designate such?

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
You have summed up my thoughts exactly. There is a place for every one of these devices in Apple's stable. The problem that I have with every device that was announced, except the Sport edition watch (since we knew the price going in) is the price. That is a conundrum however, the market was primed for the pricing, the fanboy's spoke out what the pricing would be before it was announced. The speculation led to more speculation, and why wouldn't Apple capitalize on a market that the insane prices have already been established. It would be stupid not to, you already had a ton of people saying "I'll buy one at this price" before the price was set. The Macbook is a nice piece of kit, for the price however personally I will go with a MBP retina, or an air. That is personal preference however, and I can see people lining up for this even at this price. There were people ready to throw money at this before it was even announced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50ShadesofDroidx

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a MacBook but want to get one for Logic Pro and Final Cut. Interesting that you can run Logic on an Air without issue as everyone seems to be saying the MacBook Pro is the one for that.

I do like the Gold MacBook but the lack of more ports is a huge turn off for me and renders the unit useless. I need an absolute minimum of two USB ports for the peripherals I have. I can't see anything that would make me buy this over the more powerful, larger screened 13" MBPr for the same money. It's really not that much heavier than the new MacBook in real worlkd portability terms.

Good luck running Logic Pro and Final Cut with the M core processor.. the Macbook Air doesn't fall that much from processor speed compared to a Macbook Pro. However.. an M core processor is a different story. It's a much slower processor than the Macbook Air as it is. Macbook Pro > Macbook Air >> Macbook

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Good luck running Logic Pro and Final Cut with the M core processor.. the Macbook Air doesn't fall that much from processor speed compared to a Macbook Pro. However.. an M core processor is a different story. It's a much slower processor than the Macbook Air as it is. Macbook Pro > Macbook Air >> Macbook

Well, the Air was never really on my radar anyway as I want the processing power and retina screen of the Pro for my work. The new MacBook is less on my radar than the Air.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73