Not a fan what's so ever. I honestly think it's A pointless product. If this was the MacBook Pro with better specs with all the goodies this MacBook has, then I'll be getting it.

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk
    shief24 likes this.
    03-15-2015 06:40 AM

Would have liked a second port -- maybe a USB C on the other side too?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    Gotta save something for next year haha
    03-15-2015 07:04 AM
    Gotta save something for next year haha
    Yeah. That's where I'm at with both this and the Apple Watch -- they look great, but I want the model that's an iteration or two ahead of this. Till then, I'll go with what I have (2013 Air, Pebble (Time)).

But these are the designs I want, eventually.
    03-15-2015 09:25 AM
    I have a friend that thinks this is the perfect size for a laptop for herself. She isn't a power user, and would only be using it to watch streaming video online and a few other simple things, so I think this would be perfect for her. As for me, I'm rocking a 15" rMBP, so no go for me. If the next 15" rMBP comes in gold, I'm sure I can find a way to afford to upgrade to it.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1
    I think why so many people are conflicted with this laptop is because it sounds like your friend could probably get away with just buying an iPad Air 2 and maybe a keyboard case with it if she needs to type a lot, which would save her a lot of money. This would be my kind of laptop, except it's just too expensive and I already bought a new rMBP last year.

Since I type so well on an iPad already and I find myself needing to do fewer things on a laptop, a machine like this would be perfect for me for the times I do need a "real" OS, but not at that price.
    mij9895 likes this.
    03-15-2015 11:54 AM
    I think its the future and when the Air first came out a lot of the same things were being said about it. If you don't like this 1st Gen version that wait cause just like with the air things will slowly change and improve. Dont count this Macbook out its not the end just a new beginning.
    03-15-2015 12:00 PM
    I think why so many people are conflicted with this laptop is because it sounds like your friend could probably get away with just buying an iPad Air 2 and maybe a keyboard case with it if she needs to type a lot, which would save her a lot of money. This would be my kind of laptop, except it's just too expensive and I already bought a new rMBP last year.

Since I type so well on an iPad already and I find myself needing to do fewer things on a laptop, a machine like this would be perfect for me for the times I do need a "real" OS, but not at that price.
    Actually, she has an iPad mini already with a keyboard case, but would prefer a laptop to have as a full time computer. She owns a 17" Toshiba with an Intel Core Duo and it runs Windows 7, but she doesn't like the size. Plus the Retina in this MacBook far exceeds that Toshiba like night and day. What I will most likely do is talk her into the 13" rMBP since it's the same price, and just limit what extra software I would like to install since it's really not necessary to install stuff she doesn't use. I just hope the next generation MBP's come in gold this fall.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1
    03-15-2015 12:45 PM
    I keep reading reviews and responses to this machine from all over the internet that actually make me laugh a little bit...people are so caught up in their own personal preferences and requirements when it comes to computers that they forget that companies still make devices for OTHER people! I mean sure...this Macbook does nothing for me personally (outside of looking nice), but that doesn't make it pointless...or a waste of time. There are going to be HORDES of people who buy this thing and use it and love it and because of that, it has a spot in the lineup just like the old regular Macbook's did back in 2009/10 (and the years before that).

I started my Apple computer adventure with a regular Macbook...I'd like to think that someone else will start their own love for Apple computers in the same fashion with these beautiful notebooks. My only qualm with them is that they are priced too high, but if Apple can move them, who am I to designate such?
    Just_Me_D and taz323 like this.
    03-15-2015 08:11 PM
    You have summed up my thoughts exactly. There is a place for every one of these devices in Apple's stable. The problem that I have with every device that was announced, except the Sport edition watch (since we knew the price going in) is the price. That is a conundrum however, the market was primed for the pricing, the fanboy's spoke out what the pricing would be before it was announced. The speculation led to more speculation, and why wouldn't Apple capitalize on a market that the insane prices have already been established. It would be stupid not to, you already had a ton of people saying "I'll buy one at this price" before the price was set. The Macbook is a nice piece of kit, for the price however personally I will go with a MBP retina, or an air. That is personal preference however, and I can see people lining up for this even at this price. There were people ready to throw money at this before it was even announced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-15-2015 09:14 PM
    I don't have a MacBook but want to get one for Logic Pro and Final Cut. Interesting that you can run Logic on an Air without issue as everyone seems to be saying the MacBook Pro is the one for that.

I do like the Gold MacBook but the lack of more ports is a huge turn off for me and renders the unit useless. I need an absolute minimum of two USB ports for the peripherals I have. I can't see anything that would make me buy this over the more powerful, larger screened 13" MBPr for the same money. It's really not that much heavier than the new MacBook in real worlkd portability terms.
    Good luck running Logic Pro and Final Cut with the M core processor.. the Macbook Air doesn't fall that much from processor speed compared to a Macbook Pro. However.. an M core processor is a different story. It's a much slower processor than the Macbook Air as it is. Macbook Pro > Macbook Air >> Macbook
    03-18-2015 05:54 PM
    Good luck running Logic Pro and Final Cut with the M core processor.. the Macbook Air doesn't fall that much from processor speed compared to a Macbook Pro. However.. an M core processor is a different story. It's a much slower processor than the Macbook Air as it is. Macbook Pro > Macbook Air >> Macbook
    Well, the Air was never really on my radar anyway as I want the processing power and retina screen of the Pro for my work. The new MacBook is less on my radar than the Air.
    50ShadesofDroidx likes this.
    03-19-2015 11:58 PM
    Well, the Air was never really on my radar anyway as I want the processing power and retina screen of the Pro for my work. The new MacBook is less on my radar than the Air.
    I definitely agree. I was really hoping for Apple to just make a retina display Macbook Air... Keep the performance of the Air but just give it a nicer display option.. The price of 1 Macbook is practically a Macbook Pro.
    03-20-2015 02:51 PM
    I definitely agree. I was really hoping for Apple to just make a retina display Macbook Air... Keep the performance of the Air but just give it a nicer display option.. The price of 1 Macbook is practically a Macbook Pro.
    They still very well may give you exactly what you want...in fact, if we sit down and look at this from a historic hardware release precedence, it's almost assured that the Macbook Air will receive a major chassis renovation and the retina display, so why fret like this over something that you've created out of your own blind assumptions?

As far as pricing goes...if Apple can move them to the consumer base that is attracted to them, why difference does it make? You're not in the market for it, so what relevance is the pricing to you? This machine is BY FAR more geared towards everyday mobility and convenience than the Macbook Pro...and this new Macbook makes the MBP seem like a beluga whale in terms of size/weight comparison. Let's face reality here...the two machines are not in competition with each other, so why would it make sense for you to insinuate that this device should be priced lower on the market than any of the MBP's?

You've spent an awful lot of time in this sub-forum...clamoring on and on and complaining about a machine that doesn't seem to be even remotely aimed at you. Are you doing it because deep down inside you're actually quite attracted to this machine but want more horsepower? What makes you think that isn't EXACTLY what Apple has planned for the Air and Pro series later this year?
    03-21-2015 11:34 PM
    I think the design they were able to achieve is outstanding. The keyboard, force touch track pad and stacked battery are all incredible additions.

But a 1.2ghz core M processor, 480p web cam and Intel 5300 graphics in a $1300 laptop ? I would rather have the MacBook Air with a 1.6ghz core i5 720p webcam and Intel 6000 graphics chip for the same price.

The only advantage I see outside of design is the 8gb of RAM. To me it's nice but I won't be buying it.
    04-03-2015 12:24 PM
    I think the design they were able to achieve is outstanding. The keyboard, force touch track pad and stacked battery are all incredible additions.

But a 1.2ghz core M processor, 480p web cam and Intel 5300 graphics in a $1300 laptop ? I would rather have the MacBook Air with a 1.6ghz core i5 720p webcam and Intel 6000 graphics chip for the same price.

The only advantage I see outside of design is the 8gb of RAM. To me it's nice but I won't be buying it.
    And the display.
    04-04-2015 07:26 PM
    And the display.
    Touch -- honestly I was speaking more about performance (I think a core i5 will run software update smoother far longer). You are right thought the display is superior.
    04-04-2015 07:29 PM
    I attracted towards the look of Macbook.
    04-08-2015 05:12 AM
    i have a MBA 13 and recently got my dad a MBPR 13 and loved the screen so much i was going to jump ship to get a MBPR but instead opted for the new MB for a few reasons: i prefer the lightest weight possible which is why i went with the air to begin with so something lighter but still getting retina screen was a no brainer for me. all the ports on a MBP are pretty useless to me, i have found little to no use for USB devices lately. i don't own any firewire or thunderbolt devices period, and my home network is running at 300 mpbs on wifi and wired so wireless is the way to go. if i am ever on the go, i just use my phone as a hotspot. i don't do major video/photo editing or any intense gaming so for me the core M processor should be fine. so when people ask who is this laptop for....sounds like it's for me.
    Last edited by remipmc; 04-13-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: missing words
    04-13-2015 10:43 AM
    This is the MacBook Air all over again. The first generation is questionable, but it improves and technology catches up win the design and eventually more people buy it.
    04-13-2015 11:51 AM
    I have had mine since the April release. Got rid of my rmbp 15" for it. I love this laptop. Keyboard is super, screen is outstanding. I am not a power user but for what I do I have had zero problems. So easy to take with me to Panera. Bought a Waterfield case for it and can carry all my accessories.
    07-04-2015 06:22 AM
    I love my MBA 13". Was thinking about also getting an 11" for even better portability when I need more than an iPad so the MacBook would be nice because of it's super thin size. Retina isn't too important for me and the single USB-c port may be a hassle since I do use all of the ones on the MBA. So I didn't consider getting this one even though the space gray would be kind of cool to have.
    07-04-2015 07:25 AM
    I'm personally going from the 2012 Retina Macbook to the 12" Macbook w/ Retina. I have to say, the only thing I am trying to get used to is the keyboard. I am so used to my "clicky" keys, that the feel is weird for me and I find myself pushing down too hard at times. Also, the touchpad is trippy because it's not actually moving, it's just vibrating and tricking me into thinking it's moving. Other than that, the last few hours I've had using this thing have been good. At first it went through some hiccups, but that's because I was sitting outside in close to 100F temperatures. I don't use my Macbook for anything overly intensive, so it's a nice upgrade for me. My rMB did me justice for these past 3 years, it was time to see her go to someone else. I love how these things hold value! I paid $1300 years ago and I'm getting a little over $800 for it now.

One thing I will add, I'm still trying to decide on the whole "one port" thing. I don't really plug in a lot of stuff, just occasionally my iPhone or my Apple Watch to charge them, but I do sometimes find myself plugging in an HDTV and not having an HDMI port might annoy me eventually. I guess I'll be seeing a dongle soon...
    07-08-2015 07:37 PM
    I have gone from a 09 27" iMac to a early 2013 15" MBPr and now the 1.2/512 12"rMB, this is the most versatile Apple product i have had, sold my iPad Air 2 this is so much better to use than a iPad on the lap, now i just run with it and my iPhone 6 Plus.
    Its just grab and go if at home or fits in my work portfolio case perfectly. If i want a bigger screen i have a 22" Lg Tv/Pc in my office and just Airplay to it with Apple Tv. Wireless HP printer/scanner.
    I like the keyboard, speakers are brilliant, quiet and it doesn't get hot. Only use the adapter for phone and back ups. I use a Twelve South Base lift on it which is good. My wife has a 13" MBPr i prefer mine.

I am about to be given Surface pro 3 by work so that should be interesting.
    Last edited by Robster33; 07-11-2015 at 04:50 AM.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    07-11-2015 04:31 AM
    I want it. I mostly browse net, watch movies and blog anyway, so nothing resource intensive. I may play at times, I've seen on YouTube that it's doing okayish with CS: GO, and that's enough to me if I want to 'turn myself off' for a while.
    07-29-2015 04:51 PM
73 123