BitLocker

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have tried some third party drive encryption softwares before and I was not happy with it. I recently setup four of my drives with BitLocker and I love it. It's built in to Windows and does what I need. There are some shortcomings but like the backup utility for a built in tool it's really nice. So after enabling BitLocker on the drive it wants to print or save the security key that you can use to unlock the drive if you forget the password.So once the drive is removed the password will need to be entered to see the contents when it's plugged in to any other computer.
The drawback is that when the drive is connected to the computer that was used to encrypt it the password is not required. Also any iser on the computer can see the contents of the drive. Since multiplt users are possible on a machine only the user that encrypted the drive should be able to see the contents. Overall though it's a really nice tool. Anyone else using it? I'm a noob at it so if you are how do you like it? What things have you learned to do with it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I do not have a Windows PC to test this app out and offer up some tips...:)...Have you sought tips & trick via the web or from the BitLocker/Microsoft website?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I know how to use it and it does what I need it to do. I just thought other people who have been using it for a longer time may know how to enable things through group policies etc. So I was just curious to see or hear.