Transfering Windows 7 from Sony Vaio to MacBook Pro

acecommander

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Recently purchased a MacBookPro and was wondering if I can transfer the Windows 7 OS from my Sony Vaio to it rather than have to purchase another one to download. I already have a trial version of Parallels 8, and was hoping not to have to drop $90-$140 since I won't be using my Vaio anymore.:confused:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Recently purchased a MacBookPro and was wondering if I can transfer the Windows 7 OS from my Sony Vaio to it rather than have to purchase another one to download. I already have a trial version of Parallels 8, and was hoping not to have to drop $90-$140 since I won't be using my Vaio anymore.:confused:

Regardless of whether or not you can transfer the license to run Windows to your MBP, you are going to need the install media (CD/DVD/download files). Sony and most other manufacturers have their version of Windows tailored to their specific hardware and crapware specs that it would be useless to attempt to move/migrate onto a MBP. First of all, it?s doubtful that you even got CD/DVD with Windows on it... secondly, it wouldn?t install because it would fail the "is this the Sony Vaio for which this version was tailored" test...

And then there?s the whole "can I transfer the license?" question. Most of the time, if it?s the version of Windows that came on your machine when it was new, the license only allows it to run on a single, specific computer (read "this computer").

Magic Eight Ball says: "Don?t count on it".

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Once you have gotten a legitimate & working license key, whether it be the one from the Vaio or one you've purchased elsewhere, you can get ISOs for a clean install of Windows 7 here:
Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads

They work with the bootable USB install disc creator in Boot Camp Assistant. (Have a USB key that's 8 GB or larger, and put both the Windows 7 ISO _and_ the Boot Camp drivers on it..)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2