Router/Gateway connection help

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok I was not sure where to put this

It's a networking question

I have a AT&T uverse gateway .. The dhcp server kept freezing so I finally after my third gateway I gave up and just put a router behind a router bridged the two and use my new router for all my wireless

New routers network is 192.168.0.1 and gateways is 192.168.1.1

I can ping everything even across networks
As I bridged everything and opened the firewall for my new router etc.

Here is something I ran into

I installed the iPad app for uverse
To control my tv via my iPad ( I mean who wouldn't ) lol

If I'm connect to my new router on my 0.1 it says I'm not on the uverse connection and won't work

If I connect to my gateway directly it's fine

So in a way it's correct I'm not on the same network but physically it is lol

How do I get this to work ? Help plzzz

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess no one know seems I always never have the easy fixes lol

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Okay, I don't have AT&T, but I'll attempt to give you a hand.

From doing about 5 minutes of research on the AT&T U-Verse gateway, my best guess is that it's a router than is essentially the "modem" for your high-speed internet (DSL, Cable, etc). Further, it looks like it is also a wireless router? Is that correct?

So the DHCP server on the AT&T U-Verse is what was locking up? So, and I'm hoping I understand you properly, you set the U-Verse into bridging mode and put another router behind behind that to do the DHCP, and then have yet another router behind that for your wireless? I can see how you, and probably the iPad, are getting confused. lol

Make sure only the intended router has the DHCP server running. If more than one router is running DHCP on the same subnet, they're going to have a conflict somewhere, but I would think you'd have issues connecting other wireless devices at that point too.

Do make sure that each of the routers is on the same subnet. 255.255.255.0 should be default (should being the keyword, so just check and make sure). If so, then it should be working properly, as long as you have DHCP set up correctly too.

Next question is, do you have other wireless devices connected to your 3rd (wireless) router, and if so, are they getting out to the internet okay? If so, the iPad should as well. Again, unless there is some kind of conflict with multiple DHCP servers. If the middle router is doing the DHCP, then make sure your wireless router can handle wireless DHCP compatibility.

If all else fails and you're still not getting things to work, does AT&T have a router than doesn't do wireless? Just DHCP with an ethernet output to go to your router? I don't have AT&T, but I have a simple SpeedStream DSL modem, and it's going out to a net gear wireless router. I have my Mac, my PC, my PS3, and 3 different iPhones connected to it simultaneously and am not having any issues at all. It might help simplify the solution, but not sure if that is something that's available to you. Not to mention AT&T is probably charging you extra for having a "wireless" modem/router.

It really sounds like you've overcomplicated the network to almost a comical level, but I certainly understand your frustration with having 3 bad U-Verse routers previously and that you are trying to rig up a solution that solves the problem.

Also, please tell me you're not bridging the two routers wirelessly!!! :D

I hope these ideas help out. Keep us posted and good luck!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I don't have AT&T, but I'll attempt to give you a hand.

From doing about 5 minutes of research on the AT&T U-Verse gateway, my best guess is that it's a router than is essentially the "modem" for your high-speed internet (DSL, Cable, etc). Further, it looks like it is also a wireless router? Is that correct?

So the DHCP server on the AT&T U-Verse is what was locking up? So, and I'm hoping I understand you properly, you set the U-Verse into bridging mode and put another router behind behind that to do the DHCP, and then have yet another router behind that for your wireless? I can see how you, and probably the iPad, are getting confused. lol

Make sure only the intended router has the DHCP server running. If more than one router is running DHCP on the same subnet, they're going to have a conflict somewhere, but I would think you'd have issues connecting other wireless devices at that point too.

Do make sure that each of the routers is on the same subnet. 255.255.255.0 should be default (should being the keyword, so just check and make sure). If so, then it should be working properly, as long as you have DHCP set up correctly too.

Next question is, do you have other wireless devices connected to your 3rd (wireless) router, and if so, are they getting out to the internet okay? If so, the iPad should as well. Again, unless there is some kind of conflict with multiple DHCP servers. If the middle router is doing the DHCP, then make sure your wireless router can handle wireless DHCP compatibility.

If all else fails and you're still not getting things to work, does AT&T have a router than doesn't do wireless? Just DHCP with an ethernet output to go to your router? I don't have AT&T, but I have a simple SpeedStream DSL modem, and it's going out to a net gear wireless router. I have my Mac, my PC, my PS3, and 3 different iPhones connected to it simultaneously and am not having any issues at all. It might help simplify the solution, but not sure if that is something that's available to you. Not to mention AT&T is probably charging you extra for having a "wireless" modem/router.

It really sounds like you've overcomplicated the network to almost a comical level, but I certainly understand your frustration with having 3 bad U-Verse routers previously and that you are trying to rig up a solution that solves the problem.

Also, please tell me you're not bridging the two routers wirelessly!!! :D

I hope these ideas help out. Keep us posted and good luck!

Thanks for the reply .. I have only one router linksys connected to my uverse gateway
I have to have the gateway it provides my tv service .. They don't offer a uverse standalone modem just for Internet so the all in one is all I get.

Also the gateway dont have a bridging mode like standalone modems do.

I setup my router as follows
Dhcp

And dhcp server on

Give 192.168.0.1. (linksys)

The gateway gives out 192.168.1.1

Both same subnet and I can ping across the network

Both the gateway and linksys access internet no problem .

I was basically looking for a way to merge the linksys to give out a 192.168.1.1 address as part of the gateway taking over the gateways wireless dhcp and just having one network even though using two devices ..

Just not sure how AT&T checks to see if I'm on there network

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Well, I would think that the U-Verse would need to have DHCP enabled in order to serve the entire network, and your additional wireless router would need it enabled in order to connect and serve out IP's on your local network, like the iPad.

You might try manually setting the default gateway on your router to look for the gateway on the U-Verse, if even possible. I can't say I have much recent experience setting up multiple networks locally. Years back, I seem to remember setting up my modem as a firewall, and then letting my router deal with DHCP, but that was using completely different devices. So I'm not sure if that is even a possibility, or how it may effect your TV service if you tried that. Have you had any luck talking with AT&T about the issue?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
AT&T won't do anything really im sure if I complained more they might give me yet another gateway all the same brand and company 2wire ... More like 2junk lol

I have had 3 of them and the issue I have is a known issue with them not just me.

I guess I basically had it working because I could access internet from my actual linksys router that was connected to my gateway just couldn't figure out how AT&T was checking if I was on there network to make the app work

Even though I know my router could communicate to anything on the network

Basically what the problem is the gateways wireless dhcp would freeze any device connected locally was fine

Using my wireless router plugged in locally and connecting to the wireless dhcp using that obviously solves the issue and currently is the only fix to the issue besides restarting the gateway whenever it freezes up only problem is it interrupts the tv service when I do that

Thanks for the replies

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2