Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

14 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Mb air 14/no superdrive/bootcamp/parallels

Hi there,

I have a macbook air 2014 which have no superdrive. I don't want to spend money on parallels then superdrive then windows CD to put windows on here... Is there other options or you have to use superdrive.... Which is better? Bootcamp or Parallels? I have 128GB with 8GB of RAM... I know there is thousand of threads but I don't see anything that adds windows without superdrive...

iMore Newbie

24 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Default Re: Mb air 14/no superdrive/bootcamp/parallels

You can make a bootable usb with a downloaded copy of the windows ISO. Look up Microsoft usb tool
    iMore Pro

533 Posts
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

Default Re: Mb air 14/no superdrive/bootcamp/parallels

I prefer Bootcamp. With Bootcamp you are dual booting, i.e. you have two OSes installed. When you are booted into one the other is completely unusable but the good news is you don't get any kind of performance hit. With Parallels you are creating a virtual machine where you are still running OS X but are also running Windows on top of it. Depending on what you want to do, this could be a nonissue but for doing things like playing computer games (the main thing I need Windows for) it doesn't work quite as well.

Be warned that having two OSes on your drive does eat up a lot of space so whether you dual boot or run Parallels, with only 128 GB of space, you will have a lot of memory eaten up.