Replacing graphics card

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I just replaced a graphics card in my home computer. The monitor sporadically would go to sleep at the most inopportune times in which I was tempted to think it was watching what I was doing hahahah and laugh that I would have to restart completely to make everyone happy again.

I isolated the issue by plugging in another 27" monitor via HDMI....no picture. I grabbed a laptop and plugged it in to unhappy monitor and viola my laptop was now displayed on the monitor. Soooo must be the graphics card. Right?

Replaced the graphics card, danced around the room when everything worked yes armed with an air can..cough cough..and only had just one tinsy tiny screw left over when finished lol. Of course reading the directions when I was done...hahaha...I noticed on the box that the specs said a 400w power supply and yep I have a 300w power supply.

All good ? Or am I headed for trouble :)

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I typically go for more, rather than less, with power supply. The bigger power supply isn't going to be an electricity hog, since it only provides what the PC needs, depending on what it's doing. A bigger power supply will help if you plan to upgrade other components in the future.

If you're going to be gaming, that will definitely stress the GPU and require more power.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nabans

Banned
Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I just replaced a graphics card in my home computer. The monitor sporadically would go to sleep at the most inopportune times in which I was tempted to think it was watching what I was doing hahahah and laugh that I would have to restart completely to make everyone happy again.

I isolated the issue by plugging in another 27" monitor via HDMI....no picture. I grabbed a laptop and plugged it in to unhappy monitor and viola my laptop was now displayed on the monitor. Soooo must be the graphics card. Right?

Replaced the graphics card, danced around the room when everything worked yes armed with an air can..cough cough..and only had just one tinsy tiny screw left over when finished lol. Of course reading the directions when I was done...hahaha...I noticed on the box that the specs said a 400w power supply and yep I have a 300w power supply.

All good ? Or am I headed for trouble :)

More power is always better than having less power and reducing the life of your comp's internal parts and in most of the cases, it is worst than that. Even if you don't have any plans of upgrading your PC and adding any new components, make sure that it is getting more power than what it should be, in this way, even if the power is unused, your PC is safe.

As a side note, make sure that your PC's ventilation is proper. This is the most common way to slowly destruct a PC.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711