Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Transfering Windows 7 from Sony Vaio to MacBook Pro

Recently purchased a MacBookPro and was wondering if I can transfer the Windows 7 OS from my Sony Vaio to it rather than have to purchase another one to download. I already have a trial version of Parallels 8, and was hoping not to have to drop $90-$140 since I won't be using my Vaio anymore.
    BIG DOG
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: Transfering Windows 7 from Sony Vaio to MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by acecommander View Post
    Recently purchased a MacBookPro and was wondering if I can transfer the Windows 7 OS from my Sony Vaio to it rather than have to purchase another one to download. I already have a trial version of Parallels 8, and was hoping not to have to drop $90-$140 since I won't be using my Vaio anymore.
    Regardless of whether or not you can transfer the license to run Windows to your MBP, you are going to need the install media (CD/DVD/download files). Sony and most other manufacturers have their version of Windows tailored to their specific hardware and crapware specs that it would be useless to attempt to move/migrate onto a MBP. First of all, itís doubtful that you even got CD/DVD with Windows on it... secondly, it wouldnít install because it would fail the "is this the Sony Vaio for which this version was tailored" test...

And then thereís the whole "can I transfer the license?" question. Most of the time, if itís the version of Windows that came on your machine when it was new, the license only allows it to run on a single, specific computer (read "this computer").

Magic Eight Ball says: "Donít count on it".
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Default Re: Transfering Windows 7 from Sony Vaio to MacBook Pro

Once you have gotten a legitimate & working license key, whether it be the one from the Vaio or one you've purchased elsewhere, you can get ISOs for a clean install of Windows 7 here:

They work with the bootable USB install disc creator in Boot Camp Assistant. (Have a USB key that's 8 GB or larger, and put both the Windows 7 ISO _and_ the Boot Camp drivers on it..)