Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default Windows 8

Are you going to be running it right away? What are you lookimg forward to most? I'm dying for it to go beta because I have a Technet subscription. I will definately be running the beta and then the official release as soon as it drops. I'm most looking forward to seeing the interface and the new reload option. The one that allows you to strip away the OS leaving data and programs then doing a quick re-install. This is going to save me so much time at work, well when we switch over that is
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

We talked about Windows 8 this week on the Convertcast. Ya know when I first saw the youtube videos showing off Windows 8 I thought it was a joke. Bad interface on a cell phone - worse interface on a desktop. What is MSFT thinking?!
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

The interface I think will work great on a tablet and phone. I don't think they are dumb enough to try and put a phone OS on a computer and the leaked shots of the beta look just like Windows 7 just prettier and tweaked. So I don't think they would do a radical overhaul in such a short time. I'm still excited to get my hands on it.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPhone Newbie

the interface is great for a tablet.But no for a computer
    Thanked by:
    phoneguru9 (05-01-2013)
    iPhone Nanite

I hope the system hardware requirements wont hinder users from using it and I guess it will be user friendly.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I plan on waiting for awhile till some of the bugs get worked out.
    iMore Newbie

What are the system requirements for the new Windows?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by abookin View Post
    What are the system requirements for the new Windows?
    We don't know yet, but Microsoft did say that currently it uses fewer resources than Win7.
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

I almost put a leaked version onto my computer. But like Irish I'm going to wait.

As far as the metro UI goes, i highly doubt I'll ever want/use it.
    DannyMichel likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

As a power user, I think the metro layer sucks in it's current pre-beta stage. As an IT person, I think it's great for management. Only give your users the tiles they need to work. None of that silly poking around some delinquent users do. Here is your computer, here are your programs, and get to work. No playing around.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah

Global Posts
    3,622 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am not a fan of the Metro Layer as well. Will be interesting to see Windows 8 Mature.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

The whole thing makes me glad I've switched to Mac at home and that the school system is too cheap to update, so Windows 9 will be out before they consider updating to 8.

We'll be discussing it on Convertcast tonight. Not sure if any of us have anything good to say though.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    We'll be discussing it on Convertcast tonight. Not sure if any of us have anything good to say though.
    Alli, what is "Convertcast"?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

You didn't know? It's the school that Michelle Bachmann's husband uses to.....wait, this isn't a political forum. I am actually curious to know what it is too. I am guessing it's similar to the weekly broadcast they do on here.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 09-20-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    You didn't know? It's the school that Michelle Bachmann's husband uses to.....wait, this isn't a political forum. I am actually curious to know what it is too. I am guessing it's similar to the weekly broadcast they do on here.
    I was thinking it might be the podcast on here, however, I didn't see that name on TiPb's home page. I'm glad to hear that you don't know either, though, because now I don't feel like such a n00b for asking, lol.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5b7, 4.3.5

I'm a big fan of Metro, my main phone's running pre-release Mango, but I don't see it being used on anything other than Phones and Tablets. It's great because of it's easy-in/easy-out functionality, but it would definitely be too minimalistic for a computer.

Sent from my magical mobile device.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5, 5.0.1

Currently running the Developer Preview on VMWare v8. I. Love. It.
    iPod Touch 2G - 4.2.1 - greenpois0n'd - untethered

iPod Touch 4G - 5 - redsn0w'd - tethered

iPad 1G - 5.0.1 - sn0wbreez'd - tethered

Game Center: Alavelorn
    Want to iMessage me? Send me a PM.
    iPhone Newbie

I'm running it in a VMware. It looks nice but I'm not a big fan of Metro. I don't think it looks as polished as apple interfaces. BTW, I'm a windows user.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I'm using the dev preview too and I'm a huge Microsoftian, IT SUCKS!!!! There are things I love like the shutter acreen befor login, the network graph you get when transferring files so you see the transfer speed. The things I hate is the fact that the old desktop remains but the Start button no longer functions like it used to. So it is going to be so confusing to users. In order to get to the Registry Editor, calc, network locations I have to open My Computer and use that to get there. I haven't had time to really play around with my machine to try and sort everything out. I am looking forward to trying Blue Poison to see what hidden things it will give me.
    iPhone Newbie

Give me some more details about window 8 plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I am gonna have to see how games benchmark on windows 8, that is the most important thing to me right now
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I am currently using Windows 7 and I am very satisfied with it. Nevertheless I will check out Windows 8 and then I will decide it I want to upgrade.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts

Don't bother with the betas out there. They are garbage and if the final is anything like the betas I will stick to 7 on desktop and xp on laptop (7 lags too much and I hate vista since its almost 5 years old now)

Great on tablet or phone though, would definitely like it on there if I were to buy a new tablet or a secondary phone. Computer not so much.
    Last edited by Lenerdosy123; 02-17-2012 at 04:29 AM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

I will be running the beta version due at the end of this month virtually and use it as my production machine. It will be a significant improvement over the current early preview that was released a few months ago.
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    As a power user, I think the metro layer sucks in it's current pre-beta stage. As an IT person, I think it's great for management. Only give your users the tiles they need to work. None of that silly poking around some delinquent users do. Here is your computer, here are your programs, and get to work. No playing around.
    Old quote, but seeing as I'm on the consumer preview now. It really irks me that everything is done through the Metro UI. The desktop has become almost useless in its current state. I have to access all files through metro UI unless I make a shortcut on my desktop leading to any file.

At least give me a start button so i can access my photos without having to switch between the desktop and metro.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast