Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    iPhone Nanite

Hello,
    Still i use window 7,
    So i have no taste about window 8...
    May be its good as compare then window 7...?
    Last edited by Alli; 05-05-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: removing link
    iMore Nanite

what are the innovations in win8? I mean what are the GOOD, useful innovations? I think I'll stick with my win7 regardless, but I'm curious what they are thinking in terms of the future of OS.
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

I really don't care about Windows 8. And that's all there is to it.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,733 Global Posts

Love it. Wish my laptop wasn't down
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Default Re: Windows 8

Windows 8 is a great platform for business and it has paved way for a touchscreen future. Dot Com Infoway has provided a infographic based on . This tells about the fact, fundamentals and the features of windows 8.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

Its really different looking. It will be fun to play with.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,984 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I'm running Windows 8 on my macbook pro with bootcamp...personally, while interesting initially because of the tile system and being able to set that up for myself, i don't really find it any better or worse than the Windows 7 i had on my macbook before. I honestly feel like this OS was meant for touch screens as an outer layer, but the behind the scenes stuff and the normal functional part of windows is really just the same old song and dance. I find myself touching my mac's screen for the tiles (initially anyways) and then feeling like a dimwit when it didn't respond. I'm sure it's pretty awesome on the surface tablet, but here, it just feels like a gimmick, and overall, i would not have invested in this OS...thankfully i got it from a friend who got it for work, so no money from me!
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #33  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I have it on my machine at work because we have a volume license for the Enterprise edition. I'm one of only three computers running it and that is probably going to be how it will be for a long time. I use it every day remotely controlled by my Mac and with my tweaks and hacks it works perfectly because I spend 0 time in the Windows 8, Metro UI layer. It is crap and if Microsoft wasn't such a big behomoth I would say this mistake is going to put them under. The whole OS is dis-jointed and very un-intuitive. They spent decades teaching users to use the OS one way and now they try to re-engineer it and make the users re-learn a new way of doing things. It is the stupidest approach and I have run every Windows OS since Windows 95 so I speak from a lot of experience. In the company I work for I would dread loading this on any of our computers and the millions of calls I would get. I still have programs that don't work because they require some plug in or they require a different .net version. In typical Microsoft fashion they give you the error pop up with no links to what is needed. So I have to search the web find it download it and when I try to install it. Windows tells me that I have a newer version and the version is not necessary
    It can be used but if a user, me in this case, has tweaked it to work just like Windows 7. This is the only way it is useful to me then you end up asking yourself what was the whole point of this OS? There are good points but why didn't they take Windows 7 and put these good features into it instead of trying to re-inventing the wheel and ending up with a square one.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Windows 8

Did you have any trouble getting it to run under boot camp since it only officially supports Windows 7.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

Just got a Thinkpad Twist (S230U) and love the machine. W8, so far, has been a fascinating journey as I learn how to use it. I got the Twist because of the touchscreen but have found out W8 runs quite well with just a mouse (trackball actually). You can avoid the whole Metro UI if that's your wish. I flip back and forth as I discover the software's capabilities. So far, so good.
    iPhone Newbie

I think it was a mistake to use a touch based UI on machines used primarily by mouse/keyboard. I think Microsoft knows this though, and the only reason they did it was to push their Windows tablets.

Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just bought a Windows 8 touch screen laptop. It takes some getting used to, once you get the hang of it it's pretty good.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

I bought a non-touch screen Windows 8 laptop 3 months ago. Big disappointment for me. The tiles don't work well at all with a mouse and keyboard. 95% of the time, I'm using the "desktop" view, but it too is annoying without the Start Menu (I know there are work arounds for the start menu), I'm just saying. Computers are supposed to help us work....not create more work for us.

Summary: IMO Windows 8 just doesn't cut it on a work machine without a touch screen. It's a tablets operating system.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mecie View Post
    the interface is great for a tablet.But no for a computer
    I agree...still dont like it
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Most of the apps need to be upgraded to the new version which needs to be avaible in windows 8.
    iMore Nanite

I recently bought a Lenovo laptop expecting to bite the bullet and get used to metro screen and whatever desktop had to offer. After getting classic shell I now have my old GUI back (To a W2K guy) and a fondness for a now non-mandatory metro. Choice, helps a lot. 8)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12