Windows 8

rlicim

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I am currently using Windows 7 and I am very satisfied with it. Nevertheless I will check out Windows 8 and then I will decide it I want to upgrade.

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't bother with the betas out there. They are garbage and if the final is anything like the betas I will stick to 7 on desktop and xp on laptop (7 lags too much and I hate vista since its almost 5 years old now)

Great on tablet or phone though, would definitely like it on there if I were to buy a new tablet or a secondary phone. Computer not so much.

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I will be running the beta version due at the end of this month virtually and use it as my production machine. It will be a significant improvement over the current early preview that was released a few months ago.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
As a power user, I think the metro layer sucks in it's current pre-beta stage. As an IT person, I think it's great for management. Only give your users the tiles they need to work. None of that silly poking around some delinquent users do. Here is your computer, here are your programs, and get to work. No playing around.

Old quote, but seeing as I'm on the consumer preview now. It really irks me that everything is done through the Metro UI. The desktop has become almost useless in its current state. I have to access all files through metro UI unless I make a shortcut on my desktop leading to any file.

At least give me a start button so i can access my photos without having to switch between the desktop and metro.

ErvinShoemaker

May 31, 2012
Visit site
what are the innovations in win8? I mean what are the GOOD, useful innovations? I think I'll stick with my win7 regardless, but I'm curious what they are thinking in terms of the future of OS.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Windows 8 on my macbook pro with bootcamp...personally, while interesting initially because of the tile system and being able to set that up for myself, i don't really find it any better or worse than the Windows 7 i had on my macbook before. I honestly feel like this OS was meant for touch screens as an outer layer, but the behind the scenes stuff and the normal functional part of windows is really just the same old song and dance. I find myself touching my mac's screen for the tiles (initially anyways) and then feeling like a dimwit when it didn't respond. I'm sure it's pretty awesome on the surface tablet, but here, it just feels like a gimmick, and overall, i would not have invested in this OS...thankfully i got it from a friend who got it for work, so no money from me!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have it on my machine at work because we have a volume license for the Enterprise edition. I'm one of only three computers running it and that is probably going to be how it will be for a long time. I use it every day remotely controlled by my Mac and with my tweaks and hacks it works perfectly because I spend 0 time in the Windows 8, Metro UI layer. It is crap and if Microsoft wasn't such a big behomoth I would say this mistake is going to put them under. The whole OS is dis-jointed and very un-intuitive. They spent decades teaching users to use the OS one way and now they try to re-engineer it and make the users re-learn a new way of doing things. It is the stupidest approach and I have run every Windows OS since Windows 95 so I speak from a lot of experience. In the company I work for I would dread loading this on any of our computers and the millions of calls I would get. I still have programs that don't work because they require some plug in or they require a different .net version. In typical Microsoft fashion they give you the error pop up with no links to what is needed. So I have to search the web find it download it and when I try to install it. Windows tells me that I have a newer version and the version is not necessary :confused:
It can be used but if a user, me in this case, has tweaked it to work just like Windows 7. This is the only way it is useful to me then you end up asking yourself what was the whole point of this OS? There are good points but why didn't they take Windows 7 and put these good features into it instead of trying to re-inventing the wheel and ending up with a square one.

rexxman

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Just got a Thinkpad Twist (S230U) and love the machine. W8, so far, has been a fascinating journey as I learn how to use it. I got the Twist because of the touchscreen but have found out W8 runs quite well with just a mouse (trackball actually). You can avoid the whole Metro UI if that's your wish. I flip back and forth as I discover the software's capabilities. So far, so good.

glenncal

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I think it was a mistake to use a touch based UI on machines used primarily by mouse/keyboard. I think Microsoft knows this though, and the only reason they did it was to push their Windows tablets.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a Windows 8 touch screen laptop. It takes some getting used to, once you get the hang of it it's pretty good.

DC506

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought a non-touch screen Windows 8 laptop 3 months ago. Big disappointment for me. The tiles don't work well at all with a mouse and keyboard. 95% of the time, I'm using the "desktop" view, but it too is annoying without the Start Menu (I know there are work arounds for the start menu), I'm just saying. Computers are supposed to help us work....not create more work for us.

Summary: IMO Windows 8 just doesn't cut it on a work machine without a touch screen. It's a tablets operating system.

Andrew Cheadle

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a Lenovo laptop expecting to bite the bullet and get used to metro screen and whatever desktop had to offer. After getting classic shell I now have my old GUI back (To a W2K guy) and a fondness for a now non-mandatory metro. Choice, helps a lot. 8)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711