Phone stolen - only very old messages recovered

Heiko911

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

my phone was stolen :-(
When I installed WhatsApp on my new phone, I was so happy to see that messages and contacts appear there automatically. But then I realized these are all old messages. From contacts I dont even have anymore and so on.
No, I dont have cloud back up. I have a manual backup with iTunes, but I doubt whatsapp will be covered there? Its on my old laptop which I will not see for the next 4 months, because I am working abroad.

So, why are old messages appareantly auto saved, but all messages from the last months are gone? Can I do anything about that?

Thank you for your time and ideas,
Heiko

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You can back up WhatsApp messages to iCloud.
If you use your WhatsApp account on an iPhone, you can back up your chat history with iCloud. After you do so, you can restore your WhatsApp chat history back to your mobile phone if you have restored your iPhone to factory defaults.
Are you sure you haven't backed up any to iCloud. iCloud back up is set by default. So unless you toggled it off, it backs up when the phone is plugged in and asleep. You could possibly have an old back up in iCloud. You can always go to iCloud.com and take a peek and see.