What apps actually support GPS in Watch Series 2?

MediumPace

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Of all the talk about GPS in the series 2, after receiving mine this week, I'm fairly underwhelmed by the apparent total lack of support of the GPS chip by current app developers. It either takes quite a while to rewrite to support a local GPS ping (vs pinging on the phone) or nobody cares about this.

Being in the software business myself, and knowing a bit about coding for GPS, it feels a LOT like the latter! Which is strange to me, this is a BIG deal for Watch owners that do any outdoor activity! At any rate, there are maybe 2 apps, that I can find, that support the native Watch GPS at this time (Pear Sports and Nike Run Club) and absolutely NO media coverage on the topic of ACTUALLY using the Watch series 2 GPS.

iMore, you'd be doing the community a huge favor if you a)shed some light on why no one is coding to the native Watch GPS chip, and b)are there more than just those 2 apps that use it today? If so, which one?!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, one of the iMore editors will reply and/or shed some light on this matter.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm still with my original Watch and have to say almost no developers had updated their apps even to support watchOS3. Is insane! A lot of apps which used to work flawlessly simply unusable now. I really don't know if there is some interest in Watch at all...

Cheers,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2