- iPhone Genius
- 5,237 Posts
- iOS Version
HOW TO: Extract sounds from iOS apps for use as text tones
Iíve seen several requests for sounds/alerts that are embedded within various iOS apps. Iíve poked around enough to learn how to get those audio files out of the apps and into your phone. (The specifics of where the files reside are OS X, but Windows locations should be similar. And if you are a Windows user, you can probably open the .ipa and .app files with a .ZIP reader like 7-zip. Finally, I donít use Windows, so I cannot recommend a media converter for that platform).
- Locate the app that contains the tones you want to extract.
- Copy the app to your desktop. (Location of the app on your computer is Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/<app name>.ipa). This is necessary to ensure you donít destroy/mess up the actual iOS app.
- Rename the app to a .zip file (myapp.ipa -> myapp.zip)
- Double click on the .zip file to create a folder (myapp) on your desktop
- Open the folder and find the PAYLOAD folder
- Open the folder and find the app package (myapp.app)
- Right click and choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS
- From here, itís a matter of finding the audio files. They can be .wav, .mp3, .caf and maybe a few other extensions.
- Copy the sound files to your desktop.
- Convert them using a media converter (I have several installed Amersoft Converter, MTS Converter and SmartConverter. You want to create .m4a files.
- Rename the .m4a (audio) files to .m4r (ringtone) files.
- Copy the tones into iTunes (just double click them to play/add them to iTunes).
- Sync your device.
Last edited by Fausty82; 11-25-2012 at 09:11 PM. iPhone 5 (Black.32GB.AT&T) iPad Mini (Black.32GB.WiFi) iPad (3Gen.Black.64GB.AT&T) MacBook Pro (15" 2012.Retina Display.i7) iMac (21.5" 2011.i5) AppleTV (3Gen)
- By mtheory in forum iOS 5Replies: 9Last Post: 03-01-2012, 04:08 PM
- By ajs42548 in forum iPhone 4SReplies: 1Last Post: 11-05-2011, 12:19 PM
- By iheartvi in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & ModsReplies: 2Last Post: 01-23-2010, 09:54 AM
- By johnsteve321 in forum Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and SocialReplies: 1Last Post: 09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
- By jdtoyou in forum iPhone 4Replies: 14Last Post: 12-06-2008, 11:19 PM