Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,793 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

Default mp3 into iTunes

I'm getting a headache trying to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    I have a 20sec ringtone, which is in mp3 format, on my Mac desktop. I already put the tone on my android phone, but i also want to save it into my iTunes library. Somebody please explain to me how to do this. I can't understand GarageBand, so i guess that's out. Thanks for any help.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,251 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Default mp3 into iTunes

1. Find a ringtone. It has to be 45 seconds or less).

2. Download the ringtone to your desktop

3. Open iTunes and go to your Preferences (might be called Settings on Windows) > Advanced Tab > Importing sub-tab > Find where it says "Import Using" and set it to AAC encoder.

4. On a Mac, double click it and it will automatically add to your iTunes library and start playing. On a PC, it will most likely open WMP automatically, so just drag it to your iTunes library.

5. Find the rintone you just dragged to your iTunes library and right click it, then select "Convert to AAC."

6. It will create a duplicate of the ringtone in AAC format and should start playing it automatically.

7. Drag the file to your desktop. (Since the new AAC format ringtone starts playing automatically, it will have a speaker next to it, which makes it easy to determine which file you need to drag)

8. Delete the two copies of the ringtone from your general Music list (you don't have to, but I don't think you want ringtones randomly playing next time you do a song shuffle...)

9. See that ringtone you just dragged to your desktop? It should be "songname.m4a." Now, simply change the file extension to .m4r. You can leave the file name alone, or you can make it whatever you want, the important thing is that you change the extension to .m4r.

10. On a Mac, double click it and it will auto add to your Ringtones list in iTunes. On a PC, you may have to manually drag it to the list.

You're done. You now have custom ringtones on your iPhone for free, and they can be whatever sounds you can find... as long as they are shorter than 45 seconds.

I know it looks like a bunch of steps, but it isn't. The whole process takes maybe 30 seconds after you do it once or twice
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,793 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

Default Re: mp3 into iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    1. Find a ringtone. It has to be 45 seconds or less).

2. Download the ringtone to your desktop

3. Open iTunes and go to your Preferences (might be called Settings on Windows) > Advanced Tab > Importing sub-tab > Find where it says "Import Using" and set it to AAC encoder.

4. On a Mac, double click it and it will automatically add to your iTunes library and start playing. On a PC, it will most likely open WMP automatically, so just drag it to your iTunes library.

5. Find the rintone you just dragged to your iTunes library and right click it, then select "Convert to AAC."

6. It will create a duplicate of the ringtone in AAC format and should start playing it automatically.

7. Drag the file to your desktop. (Since the new AAC format ringtone starts playing automatically, it will have a speaker next to it, which makes it easy to determine which file you need to drag)

8. Delete the two copies of the ringtone from your general Music list (you don't have to, but I don't think you want ringtones randomly playing next time you do a song shuffle...)

9. See that ringtone you just dragged to your desktop? It should be "songname.m4a." Now, simply change the file extension to .m4r. You can leave the file name alone, or you can make it whatever you want, the important thing is that you change the extension to .m4r.

10. On a Mac, double click it and it will auto add to your Ringtones list in iTunes. On a PC, you may have to manually drag it to the list.

You're done. You now have custom ringtones on your iPhone for free, and they can be whatever sounds you can find... as long as they are shorter than 45 seconds.

I know it looks like a bunch of steps, but it isn't. The whole process takes maybe 30 seconds after you do it once or twice
    I think that i tried this already, but i'll try again. Thanks.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,793 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    I think that i tried this already, but i'll try again. Thanks.
    Tried it about 6 times, and no go. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,793 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

O.K. I got it done. Used GarageBand, but had to watch a tutorial first. The person giving the tutorial, was about 11 years old! God, that makes me feel old.LOL
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,251 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Default mp3 into iTunes

Glad u were able to get ur ringtone.
    Thanked by:
    grunt0300 (11-17-2012)