Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default 8 bit ringtones?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good website or (Mac) app for making 8 bit ringtones. I loved the ones Engadget used to use for their podcast intro music and want to find one to use as a ringtone.

Thank you in advance!
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you can find the sound file on the internet, all you have to do is import it into iTunes and then follow a couple quick steps... If you can find the file, I'll walk you through the rest!
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have a couple songs I can try on my iTunes already. Could you list those steps for me? Thanks again!
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by DikaiaKnight View Post
    Hi, thanks for your reply, I have a couple songs I can try on my iTunes already. Could you list those steps for me? Thanks again!
    Just make sure the song is the right length (< or =30 seconds) and sounds the way you want it. If it's not use iTunes start and stop times to make it so it is. In iTunes you will need to have your import settings set to aac.

Create an aac version of what you want as a ringtone (Right-click on the tune and select "Create aac version")
    Navigate to the aac file and cut it - then paste it on your desktop. Change the file extension from m4a to m4r and drag the renamed file into iTunes. It will be recognized as a ringtone and you have it.

Now just clean up the left over reference to the aac file in iTunes and change the play length back on the original (if you changed it).
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hi Sherlock, thanks for the reply. I am actually trying to convert the song to 8 bit, not just make a ringtone out of it.
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

Hi Knight,
    Audacity will convert it to 8-bit. Use Export (MP3), then Options, select 8bit. You will likely loose quality but I assume you know that?

It would be best if the audio is as clean as possible. You may need to compress the audio before converting it.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    iOS Version

A great thank you for the suggestion.
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by DikaiaKnight View Post
    A great thank you for the suggestion.
    Hope it works out.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Sorry Knight, I somehow missed your replies. I see Sherlock already took care of you. Sorry again!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk