Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

93 Posts

Default Instructions on making a ringtone

I made a couple of ringtones already but can't remember how I did it. I did it through I-Tunes. I downloaded the song twice and from one of them made the ringtone. Also, I have read somewhere in this forum that there is a ringtone app. Where do I find that at? Thanks.
    iPhone Intermediate

164 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

to make an app in itunes, first go into options and select the start and stop time for the song. then save the changes, and exit the options screen. after that right click, or control click depending if you have mac or winodws, and click create AAC version. after you create the AAC version, click and drag it to your desktop, then after it is on your desktop, delete the copy in itunes. it doesnt matter if you remove the file from your hard drive when you select delete, as the desktop file will stay there. then go to the desktop file, and edit the file name from song.m4a to song.m4r. accept the changes even if it says that the file may be unusable after. then click and drag it back into itunes. it wil be under ringtones. then click and drag to sync to your phone or do whatever you have to do to sync it to your phone and your all set!
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

There is an entire forum dedicated to ringtones (and wallpapers). This thread is now located there. Take a look at some of the stickies or large threads in this forum for dozens of recommendations on how to best make ringtones.
    iMore Beginner

54 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

theres an app called ringtone maker or something in the app store.
    iMore Intermediate

304 Posts
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts

If you want to use an app on the phone itself, check out RMaker.
    iPhone Newbie

12 Posts

I've never tried using an app. I just use Audacity to cut clips out of full songs (clips must be < 40 sec. in order to be used as ringtones). That way, I can add fade-in/fade-out and adjust the gain. Then I convert the clips to .m4a files in iTunes, rename the extension to .m4r and drag the .m4r files into iTunes.