Create your own alert tones (SMS, email, voicemail, etc.)
On ios5 you can now use custom ringtones as new alerts for SMS, email, etc.
I'm going to show you how to make your own alert tones in iTunes. This is the same method I do to make full ringtones but for these alert tones you only want a file/sound clip that's 2-5 seconds long or else your going to hear a full 30 second sound clip just when you get a SMS or email for example.
Here are the steps:
1. Open iTunes, Select a song.
2. Right-Click the song, go to Get Info.
3. Go to the options tab and set the start and stop time adding up to 2-5 seconds.
4. Close, Right-Click the song, go to Create AAC version
5. Go back to the original song, Right-Click, Get info, Options tab, uncheck the start and stop times. (or else that song will only play the 2-5 seconds you chose for the ringtone).
6. Right-click the 2-5 seconds, go to show in Windows Explorer.
7. Right-click the file, rename with .m4r extension
8. Double Click the file, it'll start playing in your ringtones section in iTunes.
9. Drag and drop the ringtone into your iPhone.
Here's a couple I made. One is for the Star Tours ride at Disneyland. One is from Power Rangers and the last one is a good one for email. AOL You've Got Mail