Two Computers, One Iphone

lm3mille#IM

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I've tried scanning the forums for this, but can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for. I got the new iPhone 3gs yesterday - switched from blackberry tour/VZW. So far, I'm pretty happy.

Here's my question:

I have iTunes at home, and iTunes at work. I set it up to manually sync last night on my home computer and "drag and dropped" iTunes purchased music to the iPhone - successfully.

Today, at work - I'm trying to drag and drop iTunes purchased music from this iTunes - Unsuccessfully.

Error message says I can only sync with one iTunes. Am I just missing something small - or is this really the case?

Both iTunes are the same login.

Any suggestions?

TYIA!!

jeffskent

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issue. I've used CopyTransManager from copytrans.net successfully. It isn't as all encompassing as iTunes, but it works well for music transfers, just not applications and general backups and restores. Please post if you find a good solution. I'm sure many people now access more than one computer with their iPods or iPhones.

lm3mille#IM

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Here is an answer from the same post i put on the crackberry site:

"Nope you are not missing anything. All iPods and iPhones can only be synced to one iTunes library at any given time. It's just one of those things that you have to deal with when you use iTunes. What you can do is take files from the one you have at work and save them to a flash drive, then when you get home you can move the files back over to your home account and then you can sync your phone and it will be all good."

Hope this helps.

Stuartino

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
See iClarified for a tutorial

See iClarified.com for a tutorial on how to use one device syncing with two pcs both using iTunes. Its complicated but possible.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
iphones will only sync with a single computer at a time unless you want to spend lots of extra time.

also, I wouldn't manually manage with the iphone. it causes more problems than it solves. for example, you lose the ability to automatically get media purchased on the phone itself which requires more work from you

setup playlists and use those to pick your music.

the day you have to restore you phone as new would you rather drag and drop every song again or select one or more playlists and it does it's thing?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2