Any alternate MP3 player for the iPhone?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Are there any? Has Apple blocked these from the store?

I don't like the UI of the iPod on the iPhone 3GS, with that tiny progress meter at the top of the screen, that you have to carefully move your finger on to skip through the song.

I don't know why Apple did not implement the circular ring like interface found on the lesser iPods. I like the way one can feather forward and back, while listening to the audio squealing by with the circular ring. Apple could have implemented it in software on the iPhone screen. Heck, there are copycat programs for other phones that try to copy that UI. Apple owns that UI, so they don't have any copyright issues.

Aloke

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Only internet radio apps and streaming stuff. Nothing can replace the iPod. As for the "circular ring like interface", you mean the click wheel?

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I thought apple's touch wheel was someone else's invention, as they had to pay royalties to another company years ago for patent infringement, or copyright infringement.

If they are still having to pay year after year, or if the contract with the other company is coming due, I could see Apple trying to get away from the interface, ala the Touch/Iphone.

I thought I read a rumor (I know, but some of these rumors are true, nonetheless) that said Apple was going to start turning their whole iPod line into touch-like devices. The shuffle has already lost the click wheel, as they were reduced in size, the Nano doesn't look too far behind, as the screen gets bigger. The classic is supposed to be a dinosaur ready for extinction, also.

The touch should get upwards of 64GB this year and possibly 128GB next year. The classic is at 120GB and holding. Also, the difference between flash memory and hard drives makes the touch devices more attractive to investors.

Something I found recently:

Apple Lawsuit Express: Tsera Sues Apple + 19 for Touchscreen Patent Violation | News | iPodObserver

iPod click wheel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, I was ranting.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Apple has a court document server on staff at their headquarters to handle all the law suits that get filed against them 3 to 5 times a day.

Also, if you don't like dragging the status bar at the top you can hold down the forward button to fast foward and it makes the screeching noises as it jumps forward.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I've been looking for an MP3 player better than the iPod pretty much forever. I can't find one. Once they enable the ability to manually equalize your music with 7 to 12 bands, I'll be in musical heaven! :D

philly_fap_fap

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Try this?

As much as I love my iPhone, I too am not a huge fan of the Music app on it. I downloaded an app called "djay" by Algoriddim. It is only 69p and its current version has got 5 stars after 970 reviews in the app store.

It's a great alternative way of playing your music on your iPhone and it isn't too expensive either. It's definitely worth trying. Hope this helps a little :)