iPod vs. iPhone

jmeiners

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Okay so .vs may not be accurate, but I am hoping you (other forum members) can tell me the differences between the iphone and ipod touch (other than the phone and camera). I have a phone that I am chained to for the next 12 months and am exploring the option of ipod touch.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Constant connection to the rest of the world for one thing. You will always have access to the internet, sms, email, phone calls, etc... With the iPod you are stuck with using wifi only for any sort of data. That's pretty much all the difference there is. But it is a big difference. Just depends on what is important to you.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
iPod Touch has NO external speakers which means you have to wear a headset when you play games with sound, etc. Also, can't share a YouTube video with friends while you are out because of the internal sound.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
My basic straight forward opinion of the 2 is if your not connect to WiFi then all you have is a music/video device that cost more than the device that does it all.

Doctor

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
There are three main differences, two of which have been stated already.

1) Touch: wi-fi only; iPhone wi-fi and cell phone
2) Touch: no camera; iPhone: camera
3) Touch: 32GB max memory; iPhone: 16GB maximum memory

I own a Touch, and the iPhone comes next month.

The Touch makes a lot of sense if you don't want a phone. I wish the camera came with it (perhaps it will as of September 9th), and although the device is more expensive than the iPhone 3G, there are generally no service plan fees (unless you count your own internet connection at home, which most of us don't), and wi-fi is nearly everywhere, either intentionally or unintentionally free.

Nearly all the programs I've looked at on the AppStore are for both iPhone and Touch, and it appears that the gameplay/interface/response are nearly identical for both devices.

Some people have mentioned that they like the Touch's screen better...others say the same about the original iPhone or the iPhone3G.

Both are great devices.

RuthWhise

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I like iphone much better. Many functions is overlap. But ipod touch not include mobile phone function. So i need carry two equipment in my pocket. So i like iphone cover ipod touch.

anon4669969

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Well if you want to talk about internal hardware, the iPhone 3G S is running on a 600MHz processor and 256MB of DDR memory while the iPod Touch 2nd Generation uses a 412MHz processor and 128MB of DDR memory.

Another difference would be battery life, with the new iPhone having an advantage.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
And now the new Iphone has 32GB of storage space. How much of that space is actually able to use when you get the phone? I would imagine around 29 to 30

Jedi

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Because the iPhone costs an additional $360/year to use...:p

If you already have a mobile on contract and an iPod Touch then that means you're carrying around two devices, one that initially costs a lot to buy and nothing to run, and one that costs nothing to buy and a lot to run. Why not combine them into one device that does everything?

My girlfriend had the same dilemma, she had an iPod Touch 2G 8GB which she used all the time at home for Facebook, email internet etc... but rarely outdoors as where we live there's no wifi hotspots so effectively it just becomes an MP3 and video player. So once it came round to upgrade time on her mobile, getting an iPhone was a no-brainer as it does everything the iPod Touch does, plus everything her mobile does, and it does it everywhere she goes.

AttaQ

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I wish I had decided to just integrate my devices and get an iphone last winter when I picked up a 2G itouch and then a cheap Blackberry Curve. Now I have to try to sell one or both and pick up an iphone, which is a pain.

I will say however, that the great experience I have had with the itouch has pushed me more toward getting an iphone than just about anything. Taking advantage of the extra apps and being able to use the internet EVERYWHERE instead of just in wifi spots on safari will be fantastic.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I have both a iPhone 3G 16GB and a 2nd Gen Ipod Touch 32GB. I find that the battery life on the iPod is longer than the iPhone, because of the radios running all of the time.

The iPod is also thinner and has a metal back plate. The cut out on the back is for the WiFi antenna, so it can get signal through the back.

Comparing the 2nd Gen iPod Touch and the 3G is a no-brainer, as they are the same basic hardware (processor, memory, etc.). The iPod does have a integrated speaker, so playing audio without a headset is possible. The max memory for the iPod is 32 GB, but the new version rumored to be coming out in September will probably drop with 64GB max. It should also be running the same hardware as the 3GS, with the compass and even a rumored camera.

This, once again, leaves only the phone parts as the discernible difference in the builds, other than the possible thickness of the devices, also.

I find that I use my iPod as much now than I ever did, after getting a 3G iPhone, as I can now load the iPod up with media until full and save the memory on my iPhone for things like documents, emails, contacts, pictures and ringtones.

I honestly don't mind carrying two devices, either, as they, together equal a similar size to the old AT&T 8925 Tilt that I used to carry. Try carrying that and a 5th Gen iPod Video at the same time.

Sacrificing the iPod battery and still having a charge on the iPhone to make calls, messaging, browsing, etc. is why I do it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox