Make my own ringtones?

Hockey_Player37

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm using PC and I convert through itunes(mp3 to ACC, rename file from m4a to m4r) but I edit the music in Wavepad, which is free. It's full music editing software that allows me to crop, amplify, adjust via the equalizer and fad in/out among other capabilities.

Dec 17, 2009
www.ws4gl.org
Hi,

I found a way in Ubuntu (9.10) to put ringtones on my iPhone 3GS... It's a bit complex to do it manually, but it's possible

1 - Mount your iPhone as a regular USB media storage (See wwwDOTubuntugeekDOTcom/how-to-connect-iphoneipod-touch-using-usbin-karmicjauntyintrepidhardy.html)
2 - Once your iPhone is mounted, get any MP3 and transcode it into mp4 format. Put the extention as .m4r

Using gstreamer from the command line:

gst-launch filesrc location=test.mp3 ! decodebin ! audioconvert ! faac ! filesink location=test.m4r

Take a not that Gstreamer will give you the lenght in nanosec...
3 - Locate the file Ringtones.plist
4 - Make a backup of Ringtones.plist just in case...
5 - Edit the file using any text editor
6 - Open /media/iphone/iTines_Control/iTunes/Ringtones.plist
7 - Add this block for your mp3 file:

<key>TEST.m4r</key>

<dict>

<key>GUID</key><string>07D44991A45EA9F3</string>

<key>Name</key><string>Test</string>

<key>Total Time</key><integer>118000</integer>

</dict>

Note that "Total Time" is the lenght in milliseconds of your mp3. Also, you will have to generate a randon GUID (Put any numbers you want)...

8 - Copy your mp3 renamed as TEST.m4r in the folder: /media/iphone/iTines_Control/Ringtones

And there you have a new custom ringtone for your iPhone. You do not need to jailbreak your iPhone using the tools mentionned in the webpage. But if it is, simply put the files using the SSH server if you want.

As I said, this is a bit geekie, but it works. I will have to think about making that automated using a script or an application.

Hope you enjoyed!

applesauce

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
iRinger

I have to agree with everyone who mentioned this before me, iRinger is the easiest way to go. I just posted about it recently on my blog (applesauceblog.com), I use it and love it!

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I suspect it has to do with the volume of the sound you use. Try using the boost (volume) feature. Also, make sure you don't have "fade" checked.

TSInes80

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
sorry to barge in but i'm new to this and i'm encountering a difficulty. i followed all your steps, got the .m4r files, they play on itunes, i synced with the iphone but now they don't show up on the sounds list and on the iphone list they are as if blocked.
is there any reason for this?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi tsines, since this is an 11 page thread, we don't know whose/which steps you followed. Could you give us some more info on what you've done?

Krypto74

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I suspect it has to do with the volume of the sound you use. Try using the boost (volume) feature. Also, make sure you don't have "fade" checked.

Bingo, that did it! I have messing with this phone all day, I must have made/downloaded 10-15 ringtones, lol.

Krypto74

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I ended up getting quite a few from zedge and converting them on iRinger, played some of the settings and lengths, and ended up blowing an entire afternoon lol. It's all good, been stuck in the house sick so at least I did something productive. :)

Jactory

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Re:Make my own ringtones

I am a Mac user, and i use Wondershare iPhone Ringtone Maker for Mac. It works pretty good but it's not free.:(

shaunu

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
ok so from what im seeing...you cannot make a full song a ringtone? am i correct in saying that. i just got my iphone 3Gs and i am trying to make one of my music my ringtone...not working out so good... any help?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You only get 30 seconds. The phone doesn't ring any longer than that, so there's no need for a full song ringtone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711