Make my own ringtones?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
yeah thanks for reading my original post before posting your own. oh and thanks for reading the rest of the thread before posting.. i've never heard of audiko before (heavy sarcasm).

:confused: I don't understand your hostility towards Voltaic Shock... :rolleyes:

kyleshaNKLES

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site
Quick Walkthrough: How to get FREE iPhone ringtones

So Apple wants to charge you $1.00 for a song and another $1.00 for the song to be converted into a ringtone.. Are you really gonna stand for this?! I'll be telling you how to get free ringtones on your iPhone via your own Music Library or any YouTube video!

Here's how: Goto audiko.net and you'll be able to make full 20 sec ringtones (that's 5 sec more than Apple will allow at their 15 sec ringtones) using a YouTube URL or your own music library.. So choose your option then cut it and everything (it will step you through it completely) then choose at the end "iPhone version- or a similar option, then this is the cool part, it saves to your iTunes library under the "ringtones" tier! So just sync and it should be under your settings>general>sounds>ringtone

Thanks guys please reply if you try this.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I bought the iPhoneRingToneMaker app and I still love it...but I found out from my iPhone noob, but good friend, that you can make any ringtone for the iPhone by simply using Windows Movie Maker...I can't believe I didn't know that!

...maybe I'm the iNoob? :?

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Ok, the iPhone 3G is a pretty damned nice phone when you buy it, but let's face it, the ringtone selection SUCKS. You can always buy ringtone capable songs from iTunes and pay an extra $.99 to snip a 30 second ringtone out of it, but what if you want a movie theme song, a cartoon show theme song from your years as a kid, or some funky sound effects you found on the web?

Here's what you do if you have a Windows machine, or have a 10.4.11 (Tiger) Mac. (If you want to use a full song that isn't 45 seconds or less, you need to find software to crop the section you want. Any Mac can use GarageBand for this, and I am sure there are free Windows solutions as well. To ease the pain of this step, I just download pre-made ringtones in MP3 format and go from there.)

1. Find a ringtone. I personally get all mine from CrackBerry.com or TuneUsIn.com because they are already in short ringtone format and I don't have to edit or crop them (it has to be 45 seconds or less).

2. Download the ringtone to your desktop

3. Open iTunes and go to your Preferences (might be called Settings on Windows) > Advanced Tab > Importing sub-tab > Find where it says "Import Using" and set it to AAC encoder.

4. On a Mac, double click it and it will automatically add to your iTunes library and start playing. On a PC, it will most likely open WMP automatically, so just drag it to your iTunes library.

5. Find the rintone you just dragged to your iTunes library and right click it, then select "Convert to AAC."

6. It will create a duplicate of the ringtone in AAC format and should start playing it automatically.

7. Drag the file to your desktop. (Since the new AAC format ringtone starts playing automatically, it will have a speaker next to it, which makes it easy to determine which file you need to drag)

8. Delete the two copies of the ringtone from your general Music list (you don't have to, but I don't think you want ringtones randomly playing next time you do a song shuffle...)

9. See that ringtone you just dragged to your desktop? It should be "songname.m4a." Now, simply change the file extension to .m4r. You can leave the file name alone, or you can make it whatever you want, the important thing is that you change the extension to .m4r.

10. On a Mac, double click it and it will auto add to your Ringtones list in iTunes. On a PC, you may have to manually drag it to the list.

You're done. You now have custom ringtones on your iPhone for free, and they can be whatever sounds you can find... as long as they are shorter than 45 seconds.

I know it looks like a bunch of steps, but it isn't. The whole process takes maybe 30 seconds after you do it once or twice.

This worked great for me. Thanks!

Aberdeen1948

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I finally managed to create, thanks to Audacity, small MP3 files of less than 45 sec. Then managed to convert them to ACC with iTunes, then renamed them (my trusty, outdated, but still working Norton Commander helped) to .mr4 files and got them imported into the iTunes "Ringtones" section.

Feeling proud, I then synced my iPhone and nothing happened when it came to importing the ringtones to my iphone. I have not managed to get the little files into the phone.

I downloaded some iPhone ringtones from a site (Nakko.com, I think -- it is on my home computer, I am at work now and they popped into iTunes and from there they popped into my iPhone! But the ones I made just sit there and don't move into my phone...

Also on this thread, yes I have read it all, mention is made of "dropping" a file into iTunes. I have tried, but never managed to drag and drop anything into iTunes, it just doesn't go into iTunes. I am using (under protest) Vista. My HP laptop is not factory-made in such a way that XP will not work on it (Microsoft conspiracy?)

Any suggestions?

I have iTunes version 8.1 for Windows.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I went with the suggestion from a few pages back to use iRinger. Works brilliantly on Vista (even the 64 bit version!), and was a treat to make ringtones.

eastsdiis

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Make Free Ringtones

the best web site to make free ringtones. puts it into itunes into your ringtone catagory for your iphone its dope. Make any 30 second clip of the song. check it out
iringer.net

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I use audiko.net. No download, you can make your own or just search for it and it's probably there. They have a huuuge selection of ringtones all in iPhone m4r format :)

jake398

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I too, am interested in making ringtones on my PC. So there is not a free way to do it?

yes there is...

i cant post links yet but go onto youtube and search "Get ringtones on iphone free" and look for a vid by techleak. This is by far the easiest method and doesn't require any software downloads or hacking.

Enjoy!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Use iRingerz.

I use Audacity to make the ringtone, and then I use iRingerz to convert it and it saves the tone in my ringtone section in iTunes. No need to pay.

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok, the iPhone 3G is a pretty damned nice phone when you buy it, but let's face it, the ringtone selection SUCKS. You can always buy ringtone capable songs from iTunes and pay an extra $.99 to snip a 30 second ringtone out of it, but what if you want a movie theme song, a cartoon show theme song from your years as a kid, or some funky sound effects you found on the web?

Here's what you do if you have a Windows machine, or have a 10.4.11 (Tiger) Mac. (If you want to use a full song that isn't 45 seconds or less, you need to find software to crop the section you want. Any Mac can use GarageBand for this, and I am sure there are free Windows solutions as well. To ease the pain of this step, I just download pre-made ringtones in MP3 format and go from there.)

1. Find a ringtone. I personally get all mine from CrackBerry.com or TuneUsIn.com because they are already in short ringtone format and I don't have to edit or crop them (it has to be 45 seconds or less).

2. Download the ringtone to your desktop

3. Open iTunes and go to your Preferences (might be called Settings on Windows) > Advanced Tab > Importing sub-tab > Find where it says "Import Using" and set it to AAC encoder.

4. On a Mac, double click it and it will automatically add to your iTunes library and start playing. On a PC, it will most likely open WMP automatically, so just drag it to your iTunes library.

5. Find the rintone you just dragged to your iTunes library and right click it, then select "Convert to AAC."

6. It will create a duplicate of the ringtone in AAC format and should start playing it automatically.

7. Drag the file to your desktop. (Since the new AAC format ringtone starts playing automatically, it will have a speaker next to it, which makes it easy to determine which file you need to drag)

8. Delete the two copies of the ringtone from your general Music list (you don't have to, but I don't think you want ringtones randomly playing next time you do a song shuffle...)

9. See that ringtone you just dragged to your desktop? It should be "songname.m4a." Now, simply change the file extension to .m4r. You can leave the file name alone, or you can make it whatever you want, the important thing is that you change the extension to .m4r.

10. On a Mac, double click it and it will auto add to your Ringtones list in iTunes. On a PC, you may have to manually drag it to the list.

You're done. You now have custom ringtones on your iPhone for free, and they can be whatever sounds you can find... as long as they are shorter than 45 seconds.

I know it looks like a bunch of steps, but it isn't. The whole process takes maybe 30 seconds after you do it once or twice.

I used this process awhile back (don't know where I got it from), but it is the same as the above, and IMHO why would you want to do it any other way. Easy peasy, and you don't need any additional software.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234