I just did... downloaded it.. WOW! That works awesome. I doesn't get any easier that that!! Already have about 7 ringtones made.
    Thanks for the tip!! That one will stay on my desktop for good.
    Anytime.
    02-24-2009 12:51 AM
    yeah thanks for reading my original post before posting your own. oh and thanks for reading the rest of the thread before posting.. i've never heard of audiko before (heavy sarcasm).
    Wow... Friendly(heavy sarcasm)
    02-24-2009 01:02 AM
    Thanks for the heads up on Audiko!! Love this site!!
    03-06-2009 10:56 AM
    I finally managed to create, thanks to Audacity, small MP3 files of less than 45 sec. Then managed to convert them to ACC with iTunes, then renamed them (my trusty, outdated, but still working Norton Commander helped) to .mr4 files and got them imported into the iTunes "Ringtones" section.

Feeling proud, I then synced my iPhone and nothing happened when it came to importing the ringtones to my iphone. I have not managed to get the little files into the phone.

I downloaded some iPhone ringtones from a site (Nakko.com, I think -- it is on my home computer, I am at work now and they popped into iTunes and from there they popped into my iPhone! But the ones I made just sit there and don't move into my phone...

Also on this thread, yes I have read it all, mention is made of "dropping" a file into iTunes. I have tried, but never managed to drag and drop anything into iTunes, it just doesn't go into iTunes. I am using (under protest) Vista. My HP laptop is not factory-made in such a way that XP will not work on it (Microsoft conspiracy?)

Any suggestions?

I have iTunes version 8.1 for Windows.
    04-28-2009 09:32 PM
    I went with the suggestion from a few pages back to use iRinger. Works brilliantly on Vista (even the 64 bit version!), and was a treat to make ringtones.
    04-28-2009 10:07 PM
    the best web site to make free ringtones. puts it into itunes into your ringtone catagory for your iphone its dope. Make any 30 second clip of the song. check it out
    iringer.net
    06-14-2009 12:16 AM
    I use audiko.net. No download, you can make your own or just search for it and it's probably there. They have a huuuge selection of ringtones all in iPhone m4r format
    06-14-2009 08:08 AM
    I too, am interested in making ringtones on my PC. So there is not a free way to do it?
    yes there is...

i cant post links yet but go onto youtube and search "Get ringtones on iphone free" and look for a vid by techleak. This is by far the easiest method and doesn't require any software downloads or hacking.

Enjoy!
    06-16-2009 06:01 PM
    Use iRingerz.

I use Audacity to make the ringtone, and then I use iRingerz to convert it and it saves the tone in my ringtone section in iTunes. No need to pay.
    06-16-2009 07:07 PM
    Ok, the iPhone 3G is a pretty damned nice phone when you buy it, but let's face it, the ringtone selection SUCKS. You can always buy ringtone capable songs from iTunes and pay an extra $.99 to snip a 30 second ringtone out of it, but what if you want a movie theme song, a cartoon show theme song from your years as a kid, or some funky sound effects you found on the web?

Here's what you do if you have a Windows machine, or have a 10.4.11 (Tiger) Mac. (If you want to use a full song that isn't 45 seconds or less, you need to find software to crop the section you want. Any Mac can use GarageBand for this, and I am sure there are free Windows solutions as well. To ease the pain of this step, I just download pre-made ringtones in MP3 format and go from there.)

1. Find a ringtone. I personally get all mine from CrackBerry.com or TuneUsIn.com because they are already in short ringtone format and I don't have to edit or crop them (it has to be 45 seconds or less).

2. Download the ringtone to your desktop

3. Open iTunes and go to your Preferences (might be called Settings on Windows) > Advanced Tab > Importing sub-tab > Find where it says "Import Using" and set it to AAC encoder.

4. On a Mac, double click it and it will automatically add to your iTunes library and start playing. On a PC, it will most likely open WMP automatically, so just drag it to your iTunes library.

5. Find the rintone you just dragged to your iTunes library and right click it, then select "Convert to AAC."

6. It will create a duplicate of the ringtone in AAC format and should start playing it automatically.

7. Drag the file to your desktop. (Since the new AAC format ringtone starts playing automatically, it will have a speaker next to it, which makes it easy to determine which file you need to drag)

8. Delete the two copies of the ringtone from your general Music list (you don't have to, but I don't think you want ringtones randomly playing next time you do a song shuffle...)

9. See that ringtone you just dragged to your desktop? It should be "songname.m4a." Now, simply change the file extension to .m4r. You can leave the file name alone, or you can make it whatever you want, the important thing is that you change the extension to .m4r.

10. On a Mac, double click it and it will auto add to your Ringtones list in iTunes. On a PC, you may have to manually drag it to the list.

You're done. You now have custom ringtones on your iPhone for free, and they can be whatever sounds you can find... as long as they are shorter than 45 seconds.

I know it looks like a bunch of steps, but it isn't. The whole process takes maybe 30 seconds after you do it once or twice.
    I used this process awhile back (don't know where I got it from), but it is the same as the above, and IMHO why would you want to do it any other way. Easy peasy, and you don't need any additional software.
    06-19-2009 05:46 PM
    Actually I used a variation of the above process by CrazEtooN. For the 1st 4 steps, I just use my own music, right click and go to Get Info, then Options, and then click a Stop Time that is less than 45 seconds....I usually use 0:30. Then click ok and right click on the music file and choose Create AAC version. From steps 6 on the process is the same as above. Also make sure to go back the music you changed the Stop Time and unselect the stop time you choose....this will bring the stop time back to the original.

Using this method, you don't need to use anyones ringtones, since you can create them from your own music. You also need no software, besides itunes.
    06-21-2009 05:07 PM
    Actually I used a variation of the above process by CrazEtooN. For the 1st 4 steps, I just use my own music, right click and go to Get Info, then Options, and then click a Stop Time that is less than 45 seconds....I usually use 0:30. Then click ok and right click on the music file and choose Create AAC version. From steps 6 on the process is the same as above. Also make sure to go back the music you changed the Stop Time and unselect the stop time you choose....this will bring the stop time back to the original.

Using this method, you don't need to use anyones ringtones, since you can create them from your own music. You also need no software, besides itunes.
    This works perfectly. For pc users remember to make sure your file extensions are not hidden.
    06-22-2009 05:34 PM
    I have a Mac and have been using:
    Rogue Amoeba - Under The Microscope
    What I do is fire up Garageband, cut out the clip of a song I want, do any fading in and out then export song (NOT RINGTONE, they sound terrible) to iTunes. Then right click that song and click Convert Selection. After, I locate the converted file drag it in the app and instantly converted and it shows up in the Ringtones section in iTunes.
    Hey I just did all that where can I find the ACC version though? Never-mind I found in the root folder for the song.
    07-12-2009 03:05 AM
    I can make ringtones from my music library (purchased too) right from Itunes! no extra software to install. It is quite simple. most of the steps are mentioned above but seem to me to be a bit complicated. perhaps because these instructions are for a PC?

if you need clarification or simplification let me know and I will post here. otherwise I feel I am stepping on some toes as I said all the steps have already been mentioned
    07-12-2009 12:25 PM
    I have a Mac and have been using:
    Rogue Amoeba - Under The Microscope
    What I do is fire up Garageband, cut out the clip of a song I want, do any fading in and out then export song (NOT RINGTONE, they sound terrible) to iTunes. Then right click that song and click Convert Selection. After, I locate the converted file drag it in the app and instantly converted and it shows up in the Ringtones section in iTunes.
    Mine don't sound terrible, they sound just fine. Do you have the dB reading to high or low in garageband when you're importing the song? That is what causes the distortion. Lower the master volume and crank up the dBs on the actual track volume and you should be able to import it into iTunes as a ringtone and it will sound just fine.
    07-12-2009 01:22 PM
    Zedge is great for free ringtones and wallpapers zedge.net
    07-12-2009 01:49 PM
    Is there any way to take a voice memo and use it as a ring tone. My wife has a recording of our Grand Daughter she wants to use.
    07-15-2009 07:09 PM
    Is there any way to take a voice memo and use it as a ring tone. My wife has a recording of our Grand Daughter she wants to use.
    If you've got the file saved on your computer, I'm sure many of the previously posted methods would work, it just might take a bit of time to get the end result.
    07-16-2009 12:58 PM
    Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and the iphone! Just got the new 3GS and I'm loving it!! Althugh I don't like the limitations especially with the ringtones so this thread has been very interesting reading! Thanks to all the poster for their comments and suggestions.

I still have one problem. I can create a ringtone from my Music Library as per the steps listed here by iphone_aggie and CrazEtooN (which were great). The ringtones appear in my Library in the Ringtones folder but not in the Ringtones tab when I connect my iphone. So when I sync they do not appear in my phone. What a bummer!

Does anyone know why this is? I downloade the latest itunes update recently and maybe they closed this loophole?

I am in the UK by the way if that makes any difference.

p.s. I am using a pc (Windows XP) not a mac

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Swordfish101; 07-20-2009 at 04:31 PM.
    07-20-2009 04:28 PM
    Hi Swordfish, I had the same problem and I'm in the UK and also use a PC. I ended up using Nakko.com which sends the ringtone to the podcasts folder so I can then sync the Nakko podcasts to my iPhone. I think it may be something to do with the fact that we still can't buy ringtones in the UK iTunes store.
    07-21-2009 11:45 AM
    I take the clip I want, it has to be short though, and then click convert to AAC in itunes. Then, you click show in finder. You have to find the AAC, which is a .m4a, and click copy. Paste it, in the same window. Then you click enter on the title, and change the ending to .m4r. then open it, but itunes must be closed before

Thats on a mac
    07-24-2009 10:00 AM
    If you use Audacity, you can download the plug-in that let's you directly export the sound clip to a .m4a file. Prior to saving, you can even manually change the extension to .m4r. If you work with your sound clips through Audacity, then that let's you cut out a lot of extra steps.
    07-24-2009 10:06 AM
    Hey guys. Just want to say I think this is a great website for the iphone. I have been a lurker for a while now so this is my first post.

Since getting an iphone a year ago I have tried many sites that offer free ringtones for the iphone. Some are confusing and some are deceiving. I never pay for software so that is out of the question and the free trials just dont cut it.

brinked.com has a free flash ringtone maker (brinked.com/create-ringtone.html) that is one of the easiest to use and when you are done, you can download to iphone format (m4r). You do need to register but its very short and it doesnt ask you to verify your email so just put a fake email and then sign in. Don't click send to phone because you dont have to with an iphone plus its an advertisement that will lock you into a subscription.

I have no affiliation with brinked, I am simply recommending them because I tried pretty much every so called ringtone website and this is the one I found the most useful for getting ringtones for my iphone. Their app also has a feature to make ringtones from youtube but I have no use for it and I have not tried it so I cant say for sure if that works.

I hope others find this useful.
    Last edited by Jharold; 07-30-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    07-29-2009 12:19 PM
    I think audiko.net is better because it will also allow you to upload via url. Also, if free is the case for you, just use itunes. Heres a link to the CNET video tutorial download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10056954-12.html
    07-29-2009 02:50 PM
    yeah audiko is nice as well. I see they also have the youtube feature like brinked. I dont see any point in uploading from a URL, I would probably just rather upload from a youtube video since there is a much wider selection.

brinked and audiko would probably get a slight edge over using itunes because of the option to make ringtones from a youtube video. Nice tutorial though, I have not updated my itunes in months so ill need to get the update to check out that feature.
    07-29-2009 03:10 PM
180 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";