Question about moving from USA to England

brain26

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I will be receiving my Iphone 32GB 3GS next week and I have a question for you guys. I have every intention on jailbreaking the phone and when I move to England in May, will I be able to use the phone? From what I have read, i should be able to get service for it as long as I jailbreak it.

Can anyone help me out with this one?

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
What really depends is the baseband on the phone. The iPhone you receive will have the new baseband and it has been suggested that Apple could easily plug the unlock with the next firmware.

Currently you can jailbreak and unlock the iPhone, but there are no guarantees that after the next firmware update you would be able to unlock the iPhone.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
call AT&T and your provider of choice in England. your answers will be account specific

as far as the phone, you may want to just deal and buy a new phone. sell your current one online. If sold in England be up front that it's AT&T. there are tons of business travelers who would like a phone they can put local service on and save on roaming costs when overseas

$300 = ~?150 right now.

brain26

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys. I will buy this one and if needed, just buy another once I get over there. No harm in buying two phones ;)

BLu

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
You're right Navi?it's been on O2 forever, Orange has it since early this month, and Voda follow suit here in January apparently.

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Well if AT&T is on the GSM and not CDMA network (im from UK so i dont know if it does) you will be able to use it but you might want to call AT&T and ask them if they use GSM.

brain26

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
AT&T is GSM so I will be ok.

I have learned that O2 is not the only company I will be able to get service from once I arrive in England. From what I have read, O2 is probably going to be the best service for me.

Fraydog

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
I would go with selling the iPhone while you're still over here before you leave, then buy a new one in Britain. You will probably not have to pay as much, and you will also have more time to compare carriers over there. Britain is much more competitive in their cell phone landscape, not to mention much better in the plans they offer, the cost of getting an iPhone, and having ubiquitous HSPA/UMTS 3G coverage.

If only the FCC had made everyone go with HSPA for a ubiquitous 3G standard nationwide here....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711