Verizon Brings Back Unlimited Data, what are you going to do with it all?

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep -- That is why you gotta see what works for you. For some it is a steal but for some the older plans work. Just depends :).

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This is really exciting. I'm interested to see how this year ends for all carriers.

Very! The only "fail" (that's how I see it) is that AT&T doesn't offer any tether at all whereas the others offer 10 GB per line. Hopefully that changes for the customers.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Very! The only "fail" (that's how I see it) is that AT&T doesn't offer any tether at all whereas the others offer 10 GB per line. Hopefully that changes for the customers.

Agreed...but if I'm reading this correctly they DO offer corporate discounts. Which Verizon doesn't. I don't believe T Mobile does either. That's a pretty nice advantage from a pricing perspective.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed...but if I'm reading this correctly they DO offer corporate discounts. Which Verizon doesn't. I don't believe T Mobile does either. That's a pretty nice advantage from a pricing perspective.

Ah -- very good point that I didn't think about. Also you're correct on the Verizon / T-Mobile not allowing discounts on their unlimited plans. Verizon only allows Military ones but no corporate.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Ah -- very good point that I didn't think about. Also you're correct on the Verizon / T-Mobile not allowing discounts on their unlimited plans. Verizon only allows Military ones but no corporate.

Yes, Verizon offers discounts for Military and also Police and Fire Depts Only on their Unlimited data plans

Last edited:

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site

They don't. But, it's only an issue with the lower plans. I had the 16 GB plan. After my discount, made it $72.90 a month for my data. It would only have been an issue with 8 or lower.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
They don't. But, it's only an issue with the lower plans. I had the 16 GB plan. After my discount, made it $72.90 a month for my data. It would only have been an issue with 8 or lower.

Makes sense. If Verizon ever decides to open the gates for corporate discounts and my 18% applies I'd be the happiest customer ever lol. One can dream.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
They don't -- They used to use the term "Throttle" or "throttling" back in the day but they don't anymore. Verizon is just saying what they all say. I will quote what each carrier says from their fine print.

T-Mobile

AT&T

Sprint

Verizon

As you can see they all say the same thing :).

I'm going to disagree with you on the "tethering" vs. "deprioritization." Throttling, when the term is used, typically refers to a permanent reduction in speed. For example, on some Verizon prepaid plans now they "throttle" after the high speed data is used, your speeds are limited to 128 Kbps. T-Mobile throttles on their Simple Choice post-paid plans after the high speed data allowance is used, and also their free data in other countries.

Cricket is another interesting one; AT&T "throttles" Cricket users to 8 Mbps LTE speeds (4 Mbps HPSA+ speeds) -- though Cricket users will argue that it isn't throttling. Then, Cricket will throttle further after that "high" speed data allowance is used, down to (I believe) 256 Kbps.

By contrast, deprioritization isn't intentionally slowing your data, as in the examples above, it is merely letting others "cut the line" when they send data; much like how airlines let First Class passengers board first. In fact -- at least with some carriers -- I suspect the Unlimited users that have gone over the unlimited "data limit" keep their lower priority until the end of their month, just that most of the time the lower priority doesn't make a difference.

bluesqueen23

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I just looked might actually use less than 25 gig this month; which for me is a abnormality though but proves I might be able to work with this.

Really thinking about ditching my grandfathered unlimited for this. No way for this on a single line it would be more than the $240 I pay a month currently.

I gave up my grandfathered unlimited & switched to this. I will be saving nearly $100/month. I typically use 25gb/month but live in a rural area. So, I'm not worried about network congestion. Plus, I switched my Verizon home phone that I use for an office phone, to a cell phone plan. I now have 22gb (before throttle) on each line. I'm also adding my parents to my acct. & it will save them approx. $75/month.

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
AT&T and Verizon are neck and neck, one does better in the country and the other better in the city, I can't remember which. T-Mobile is breathing down their necks too, I work in some out of the way places and haven't had an issue with T-Mobile. Sprint is the only one lagging having to fix their WiMAX hiccup.

Agreed. I have T-Mobile and haven't had issues anywhere except in certain buildings where everyone had issues. But the farthest I travel in either direction are D.C. And CT on a regular basis.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
TMo is big here in the DC area, I'm sure it works well :)

Yes, but Verizon still provides the best coverage in my area of travels. I really thought about switching to T-Mobile, but now that Verizon has an unlimited plan I'm willing to pay a little extra for better overall coverage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73