deceptacon16

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm using my wifi at home and there are plenty of times I see VZW WIFI pop up on my screen. I've explained to Verizon about this and no one knows what I'm talking about. Somehow, I keep going over my data. I turned off wifi assist and I'm still having the same problem. How can I be over my data if I'm on my own network?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

"VZW WIFI" is just for the wifi calling feature, where phone calls are routed over wifi for voice calling when signal goes below a certain level.

If you go to Settings -> Cellular you should see how much data your apps are using. I'd suggest resetting that and see what apps are using your cellular data. I would also suggest resetting at the start of each billing cycle so you can keep track during the cycle. You can also disable individual apps from there if needed.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help!!

I use it. My cellular signal is not so great at home. So it helps.
A lot of things can cause you to go over your data limits. You shouldn't use data if you're on WiFi. Away from wifi, even iMessages use data, along with Internet use, Facebook, videos, and etc. Just be careful what you do when not on WiFi.

c26fb0c93235eecbd23f0d6af71bae25.jpg

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
What causes Verizon WiFi to activate? Of course, I am referring to if its already activated in the settings. At times, it'll say Verizon with a WiFi signal which shows I have WiFi data. However, randomly it switches to say Verizon WiFi which means I'm using WiFi calling.

But my question is why is it not always on WiFi calling when I am connected to WiFi? Does my signal have to drop to a certain point? I can make calls just fine at home but I tried testing it and noticed this.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What causes Verizon WiFi to activate? Of course, I am referring to if its already activated in the settings. At times, it'll say Verizon with a WiFi signal which shows I have WiFi data. However, randomly it switches to say Verizon WiFi which means I'm using WiFi calling.

But my question is why is it not always on WiFi calling when I am connected to WiFi? Does my signal have to drop to a certain point? I can make calls just fine at home but I tried testing it and noticed this.

Wifi calling only activates when you're connected to wifi and your cellular connection isn't super strong. This happens automatically.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wifi calling only activates when you're connected to wifi and your cellular connection isn't super strong. This happens automatically.

Exactly. I have the same thing -- at work it doesn't activate, because service is good. But at my house, it's not that great and pretty much always on VZW WIFI.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Exactly. I have the same thing -- at work it doesn't activate, because service is good. But at my house, it's not that great and pretty much always on VZW WIFI.

Gotcha. My signal is fine at home and I have no issues but I guess it seems it's low enough to activate.