Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 1 Post By robertk328
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default VZW WIFI

I'm using my wifi at home and there are plenty of times I see VZW WIFI pop up on my screen. I've explained to Verizon about this and no one knows what I'm talking about. Somehow, I keep going over my data. I turned off wifi assist and I'm still having the same problem. How can I be over my data if I'm on my own network?

Default Re: VZW WIFI

Welcome to iMore!

"VZW WIFI" is just for the wifi calling feature, where phone calls are routed over wifi for voice calling when signal goes below a certain level.

If you go to Settings -> Cellular you should see how much data your apps are using. I'd suggest resetting that and see what apps are using your cellular data. I would also suggest resetting at the start of each billing cycle so you can keep track during the cycle. You can also disable individual apps from there if needed.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Nanite

Thanks for the help!!

Default VZW WIFI

Quote Originally Posted by deceptacon16 View Post
    Thanks for the help!!
    I use it. My cellular signal is not so great at home. So it helps.
    A lot of things can cause you to go over your data limits. You shouldn't use data if you're on WiFi. Away from wifi, even iMessages use data, along with Internet use, Facebook, videos, and etc. Just be careful what you do when not on WiFi.

iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    5,936 Global Posts

What causes Verizon WiFi to activate? Of course, I am referring to if its already activated in the settings. At times, it'll say Verizon with a WiFi signal which shows I have WiFi data. However, randomly it switches to say Verizon WiFi which means I'm using WiFi calling.

But my question is why is it not always on WiFi calling when I am connected to WiFi? Does my signal have to drop to a certain point? I can make calls just fine at home but I tried testing it and noticed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    What causes Verizon WiFi to activate? Of course, I am referring to if its already activated in the settings. At times, it'll say Verizon with a WiFi signal which shows I have WiFi data. However, randomly it switches to say Verizon WiFi which means I'm using WiFi calling.

But my question is why is it not always on WiFi calling when I am connected to WiFi? Does my signal have to drop to a certain point? I can make calls just fine at home but I tried testing it and noticed this.
    Wifi calling only activates when you're connected to wifi and your cellular connection isn't super strong. This happens automatically.
    robertk328 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Wifi calling only activates when you're connected to wifi and your cellular connection isn't super strong. This happens automatically.
    Exactly. I have the same thing -- at work it doesn't activate, because service is good. But at my house, it's not that great and pretty much always on VZW WIFI.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    5,936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    Exactly. I have the same thing -- at work it doesn't activate, because service is good. But at my house, it's not that great and pretty much always on VZW WIFI.
    Gotcha. My signal is fine at home and I have no issues but I guess it seems it's low enough to activate.

Gotcha. My signal is fine at home and I have no issues but I guess it seems it's low enough to activate.
    Do you have the dots for signal or have you enabled Field Test mode? Field Test mode will give you the actual signal strength so you would have an idea of when it actually switches over to wifi calling.

Field Test Mode: What it is and How To Enable it on Your Phone

Mine switches over at about -110. It may vary a bit at times. That's in the 1 dot area.