Thinking of giving up unlimited data, am I crazy?

Fahrenheit38

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
So currently I'm on a share 700min plan, 2 smart phones (both unlimited data, both off contract) and a dumb phone with like a year left on a 2 year deal. Pay 200 a month, thinking of switching us to 10gb share plan and doing 2 EDGE deals for iPhones. While that makes me pay more then I do now it would include new phones and no more buying my phones outright. I also get 22% off with my current job that would apply to the total plan amount, right? Not sure how that works to be honest.

So am I crazy? Currently at max we use like 5gb and that was only 1 month and for the most part we stay at 3ish gb a month. Would start at 10gb to get better edge deals but may back that down in the future. Wifi is super common around me anymore so the only time i use data is at the odd ball restaurant without wifi and doctors offices.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So currently I'm on a share 700min plan, 2 smart phones (both unlimited data, both off contract) and a dumb phone with like a year left on a 2 year deal. Pay 200 a month, thinking of switching us to 10gb share plan and doing 2 EDGE deals for iPhones. While that makes me pay more then I do now it would include new phones and no more buying my phones outright. I also get 22% off with my current job that would apply to the total plan amount, right? Not sure how that works to be honest.

So am I crazy? Currently at max we use like 5gb and that was only 1 month and for the most part we stay at 3ish gb a month. Would start at 10gb to get better edge deals but may back that down in the future. Wifi is super common around me anymore so the only time i use data is at the odd ball restaurant without wifi and doctors offices.

I don't know hot VZW applies discounts. I know that AT&T only discounts the data plan on these types of plans. It would cost me an additional (approx) $25 in lost discounts for my 5 line family plan.

I'd strongly suggest that you confirm how VZW handles this before switching plans.

Fahrenheit38

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't know hot VZW applies discounts. I know that AT&T only discounts the data plan on these types of plans. It would cost me an additional (approx) $25 in lost discounts for my 5 line family plan.

I'd strongly suggest that you confirm how VZW handles this before switching plans.

Your right, discount only applies to data so I'd get 22% off 100 bucks (assuming i'd get the 10gb plan). Seems far so far.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Verizon only discounts the data plan cost.

I gave up unlimited data 2 years ago and, honestly, have never cracked 2 gigs with heavy use. Helps that I'm on wifi a majority of the time though.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I had unlimited data and have it up when I went to the iphone. I regret it. I use about 6GB/month and have to watch my usage. I don't have wifi at home, but I am on it at work.

If I had it to do over, I would have kept unlimited data and bought a phone outright.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
We gave it up and went to a mobile share plan so we could gain the ability to tether. Have never come close to our limit and don't regret it. We do have WiFi just about anywhere we go so that would make a difference. The tethering comes in handy when we find ourselves in the odd place that doesn't have it.

diesteldorf

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Of course, it's a personal decision, but I plan to keep my unlimited. I had a power outage a few months ago and it was nice to kill some time streaming netflix for a couple hours.

I also commute to work and the bus doesn't have wifi.

I know these are all "1st World problems", but that's my opinion.

It also helps that switching to a tiered plan would not save me a significant amount of money.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I have almost the exact same plan as OP, 10gb with 3 lines on edge and I pay roughly 240 with insurance on all them. It's also split between 3 ppl so I get a awesome deal