Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 2 Post By carrickfergus
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

34 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Default Traveling to Jamaica

My wife and I are going on vacation in about a week. We don't want to incur crazy charges while we are away. What do we need to do settings wise with our phones? We'll have wifi at the resort and would like to make the occasional phone call if need be. I have a 5S and the wife has a 4S. We're both on verizon. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Traveling to Jamaica

The last time I was on vacation at the Sandal Ocho Rios Resort, I'm not sure of the wireless carrier I had. I kept my phone in the safe inside our room, but I do recall having a wireless signal. Anyway, I would suggest you put your device is Airplane mode, but with Wi-Fi enabled and communicate via iMessage or email. Anyway, the link below will pull up Verizon's global coverage map. After clicking on the link, scroll down and select "Coverage Map" and then type in Jamaica. From what I gather, 3G coverage is available for all of Jamaica.

Global Services - Verizon Wireless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Traveling to Jamaica-screen-shot-2014-09-12-3.08.41-pm.png   Traveling to Jamaica-screen-shot-2014-09-12-3.09.21-pm.png   Traveling to Jamaica-screen-shot-2014-09-12-3.10.06-pm.png  
    bbsadaj likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

418 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts

Default Re: Traveling to Jamaica

Just go into your settings and under Cellular turn off Cellular Data and restrict Roaming to voice only. Jamaica uses CDMA so no SIM adjustments are necessary.
    Just_Me_D and bbsadaj like this.