Verizon to AT&T?

i507

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I apologize in advance in case this question has be answered.
I was wondering if a iphone 5 that was purchased with Verizon and used in their network, Will be able to be used with AT&T network?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly it will work... but will not be compatible with AT&T's version of LTE... you'd be better off finding an iPhone OEMed by Apple for AT&T for use on AT&T's network...

Last edited:

Moe2005

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure? CDMA and GSM are not compatible.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

It has GSM capabilities. Check Apple.com:

e9udydyt.jpg

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I know but it's locked to Verizon, and the GSM capabilities are limited to overseas SIMs. Just because it can do GSM doesn't mean it's carrier unlocked on purchase. Otherwise they wouldn't subsidize the phone, as I could take it to a different carrier right away.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon was "forced" to make the GSM side unlocked for 3G. The CDMA is locked to Verizon as you cannot take it to Sprint CDMA. There was some lawsuit/gov't action that made them sell it GSM unlocked for the iPhone 5.
As a condition of the FCC granting licenses to the 700mhz block, LTE capabilities and GSM abilities were required to be unlocked...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I know but it's locked to Verizon, and the GSM capabilities are limited to overseas SIMs. Just because it can do GSM doesn't mean it's carrier unlocked on purchase. Otherwise they wouldn't subsidize the phone, as I could take it to a different carrier right away.
The Verizon iPhone5 is GSM unlocked... unlike the 4S, which is as you describe, GSM Unlocked for international use only. Subsidized phones come with contracts that have early termination fees... so they got you... rendering a subsidy rather meaningless... one would end up paying full retail or more for getting 'subsidized' phone and running away from a contract.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if a iphone 5 that was purchased with Verizon and used in their network, Will be able to be used with AT&T network?

Yes, Verizon's iPhone 5 will definitely work on AT&T's network. However, because the model was not specifically made for use on the AT&T network, you will only be able to access AT&T's HSPA+ network and not LTE.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2