Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Verizon or ATT?

This month i set up service with att and ported my number from sprint.. well two weeks later i look at my bill and att bills me 800 dollars for a deposit.. well after they billed me for services and after sending my phone only to tell me they cant waive this even though this is their mistake, not mine! Is it worth it to switch over to verizon, their not asking for a deposit either. If so, what phone should i get? I'm leaning towards the 4S/5. Thanks.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Default Verizon or ATT?

This depends on so many subjective factors (like where you live).

-But I will just speak from my own personal experience: I live in Chicagoland and switched from AT&T to Verizon when I upgraded to the iPhone 5 (what you should get now, not the 4S, IMO). I have been *very* impressed with VZW's service and coverage so far. Coverage has been excellent in the city (north side, loop, Gold Coast, northwest, etc) and in the suburbs. And once you've experienced Verizon's LTE, it's hard to go back to anything else. At full bars, it's blown away wifi in terms of speed. Even on a road trip through rural Indiana and Michigan (along I-80) I was still getting good LTE coverage.
    -Everything I said about VZW, reverse it, and that's how bad my experience was with AT&T. The customer service is *great* but the coverage was terrible (again, FOR ME). Can't tell you how many times I didn't have service in the city (Loop and North Side) or was stuck on Edge.

YMMV.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Default Verizon or ATT?

Depends on your area. I had the opposite AT&T is great for me Verizon was a lot of dropped calls and 1X data speeds. If you can borrow an LTE Verizon phone where you are the most and see how it is for you.

Global Posts
    17,443 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Verizon or ATT?

Quote Originally Posted by MACLuvr4Life View Post
    This month i set up service with att and ported my number from sprint.. well two weeks later i look at my bill and att bills me 800 dollars for a deposit.. well after they billed me for services and after sending my phone only to tell me they cant waive this even though this is their mistake, not mine! Is it worth it to switch over to verizon, their not asking for a deposit either. If so, what phone should i get? I'm leaning towards the 4S/5. Thanks.
    $800 deposit? Ouch! Anyway, I would definitely check to see if VZW has good coverage in your area as well as check with friends who are on the VZW network and hear what they have to say in regard to VZW's service in your area. >>If<< indeed the service is great and/or acceptable to you, by all means, switch and save some serious money.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Verizon or ATT?

Regardless of what I say below, coverage should be your most important factor:

My Experience -

ATT - horrible customer service - took months to sort their billing error. We paid our bills electronically, and they kept asking for a copy of the reverse side of our cancelled check.

Sprint - Could never depend on what my monthly bill was going to be - especially the very first bill after I upgraded to a new device. Towards the end of my contract, only dealt with CS via email so that I had a history of what they said to me.

Verizon - my monthly bill has been within a few pennies of what I was told it would be when I signed on with them.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.2
    Former Storm2 & Palm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,743 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Default Verizon or ATT?

I think Verizon is your only option .. Sprint u had and att I would say can shove it lol 800 ??

My question would be why are they charging a deposit and Verizon not

On a side note I have had Verizon for over 10 years and Never had a issue with service

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,641 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Default Verizon or ATT?

I live in the middle of BFE and Verizon has yet to let me down with a bad spot. Even as far away from society as I am when I'm at home I still have great service.

Just remember that everyone has different opinions. You'll find some that love Verizon and some that don't.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently