Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kch50428
  • 1 Post By zeteo
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Default Can a Verizon iPad Mini be used on Sprint by swaping the nano-SIM card?

I ask this because the iPad Mini for Verizon and Sprint have the same exact model # (Model A1455) for LTE bands 13 and 25. Also, the 9.7 inch iPads use nano-SIM cards for LTE access.

Are the nano-SIM cards on the Wifi+Cellular iPad Mini removable? If so, does this mean that I can swap out the Verizon card for a Sprint card? I have contacted Apple customer support and they were not sure of the answer. But they did say that because the Verizon iPad uses a nano-SIM card for LTE access that it would not require providing the carrier with the ESN of the device to verify if the device was purchased for their network.

I am a Sprint customer but they have no plans to deploy LTE coverage in my area any time soon. There is only Verizon in my area. So I want to know if it is possible to switch to Sprint LTE on the same device if all I need is a Sprint nano-SIM card.

Global Posts
    11,134 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Can a Verizon iPad Mini be used on Sprint by swaping the nano-SIM card?

No. Because of the compatibility with legacy CDMA networks, Sprint & Verizon devices are not interchangeable by sim swaps.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    zeteo likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,743 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Default Can a Verizon iPad Mini be used on Sprint by swaping the nano-SIM card?

^ what he said and I think i remember Verizon not selling the SIM cards but that could have changed
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Can a Verizon iPad Mini be used on Sprint by swaping the nano-SIM card?

Yes you can use a vzw sim in a sprint ipad mini it will work

Yes you will need to buy a data plan to get the SIM card
    iPhone Nanite

Yes you will need to buy a data plan to get the SIM card
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    650 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    No. Because of the compatibility with legacy CDMA networks, Sprint & Verizon devices are not interchangeable by sim swaps.
    This is correct. They re not compatible.
    iPhone 5-64, iPad 4, iPad Mini, Mac Book Pro

"I've tried the rest, now I am staying with the best!"
    mab4285 likes this.