Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Default Can the Verizon iPhone 5 be used in China & with a international SIM?

I have a friend who wants to buy the iPhone 5. He travels alot and wants to use international SIM cards to make calls overseas when he is in Europe and China. Is this possible? Are there even nano-SIM cards yet in those markets?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 7

Hey!
    I will try and help the best I can.
    I have an unlocked iPhone 4S (I know slightly different) and I use it in china. I use it on china Unicom and china mobile. I believe that in order for your friend to use it in china, the phone has to be unlocked. I believe that if he bought it outright with no contract, I believe he should be good to go. Also, I'm not sure if the Chinese carriers offer nano SIM cards yet. They do offer micro sims. ( for iPhone 4/4S). Thanks! Let me know if I can help in any other way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from my classy 5C using Tapatalk
    iMore Pro

Nano SIM cards are available in some areas already, but don't expect them to be ubiquitous.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Can the Verizon iPhone 5 be used in China & with a international SIM?

The Verizon iPhone 5 comes unlocked for GSM carriers. Your friend may need to cut down any sim he buys though.