Verizon iPhone5 Users - Carrier Settings Update Available

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I knew something was up! I couldn't believe how much data I was mysteriously eating up while at home on WiFi. Lame.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine was at 13.1 but still popped up the box

Question is what is MSID? Mine is a phone number but not mine or any number thats on my acct

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having a issue sending pictures through iMessage on Wi-Fi? Since I got the update, I can't send a picture through iMessage on Wi-Fi. When I try to send one, it acts like it is sending, but then gets stuck. if I switch to LTE, works fine. I tried restarting my phone, didn't help. All my other data usage is fine on Wi-Fi.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having a issue sending pictures through iMessage on Wi-Fi? Since I got the update, I can't send a picture through iMessage on Wi-Fi. When I try to send one, it acts like it is sending, but then gets stuck. if I switch to LTE, works fine. I tried restarting my phone, didn't help. All my other data usage is fine on Wi-Fi.

Comcast gateway ?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a local provider, Hargray. Regardless it worked fine before. very strange...

---------- Post Merged at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:08 PM ----------

I have a local provider, Hargray. Regardless it worked fine before. very strange...

Is it a gateway or do you use your own router ?

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Is it a gateway or do you use your own router ?

i believe it is a gateway, meaning it has its own wireless and routing capabilities. when i go into the setup of the cable modem, i see it has DCHP turned on and uses the range of 192.168.0.2 to 254. I connected a wireless router to it that uses the range 192.168.2.2 to 254, so that it won't interfere, but still having that issue.

I have done something similar to a DSL modem before where I turned it into bridge mode and setup my router with all the login info, etc. Is that what you are inferring me to try with my cable modem? When i go into my cable modem settings, I don't see anything similar to what I did with a DSL line back in the days.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i believe it is a gateway, meaning it has its own wireless and routing capabilities. when i go into the setup of the cable modem, i see it has DCHP turned on and uses the range of 192.168.0.2 to 254. I connected a wireless router to it that uses the range 192.168.2.2 to 254, so that it won't interfere, but still having that issue.

I have done something similar to a DSL modem before where I turned it into bridge mode and setup my router with all the login info, etc. Is that what you are inferring me to try with my cable modem? When i go into my cable modem settings, I don't see anything similar to what I did with a DSL line back in the days.

Exactly bridge mode will open all ports to your new router currently without that enabled thats why your still getting blocked ... You have the new router setup correct it has to be on its own subnet if not like you said you will have conflict .. I would contact Comcast and have them show you how to bridge it or have them give you a Stand along cable modem for Internet ...if we knew what port was blocking it you could prob open It up on the gateway but this is only way I can think of since I don't have that info

Also look for a setting that will allow your gateway to pass to the router like under firewall settings

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Exactly bridge mode will open all ports to your new router currently without that enabled thats why your still getting blocked ... You have the new router setup correct it has to be on its own subnet if not like you said you will have conflict .. I would contact Comcast and have them show you how to bridge it or have them give you a Stand along cable modem for Internet ...if we knew what port was blocking it you could prob open It up on the gateway but this is only way I can think of since I don't have that info

Also look for a setting that will allow your gateway to pass to the router like under firewall settings

thanks again Peligro911. i looked at my router settings and didn't see the bridge option. i called hargray (my internet provider) and told them my situation and how i wanted to bridge it. they said that modem can't be bridged and that all ports are open as it is. he is going to escalate it to a higher level. i also gave him this documentation from apple's site about which ports they use. so hopefully he finds someone on his end that shows they are blocking one of those ports.

Using FaceTime and iMessage behind a firewall

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Peligro911, just giving you an update. The level 3 tech rep called and he said he has never gotten this complain on his network. He was on a separate network at his facility that simulated being connected to the same modem as mine and was able to send me a photo through iMessage. Then we bridged the cable modem at my place so that everything is handled through my wireless router. my internet and all still works fine, but i still can't send a picture through iMessage. Verizon also said they can't help cause its not their network. I guess Apple is the next step...