Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Verizon Users

Hi everyone. I had a couple questions and i figured itd be easier and quicker to ask here than try to get through to verizon customer service.

This is going to be my first iphone (iphone5) and was the first time i ever ordered a phone online. I currently have an android phone. I was wondering when i activate the iphone, will my droid immediately deactivate itself? And if so ill still be able to access my files and stuff right, just not go on the internet or make calls/texts?

2nd. How do i transfer contacts and whatnot to the new phone. What CAN i transfer? And i should do this before activating the iphone?

3rd. As for insurance, what is the difference between verizons and applecare? Which do you prefer to get?
    Last edited by xsuki000; 09-20-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

1 your good. Phone will just become a PDA.
    2 google exchange. Just look it up simple setup.
    3 don't know sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    645 Global Posts

Regarding #3 - I don't know much about VZW insurance, but I've used AppleCare + and will say I think it's well worth the money. I cracked my screen on my 4S, setup an appointment at the apple store and had it swapped for the $49. It was very easy and apple handled it great. They didn't put me through hoops.

With that I'm going w AppleCare + on the 5.

Excellent breakdown of your choices, overall costs, deductibles, coverages, etc.
    iPhone Newbie

Will verizons backup assist transfer contacts, or is google exchange the way to go?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snuffleupagus99 View Post
    Will verizons backup assist transfer contacts, or is google exchange the way to go?
    I have set up many phones for myself and friends. I have always used Google exchange. It works well. I can't speak for verizons backup assist, but Google is pretty hard to mess up.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,822 Global Posts

Yes, vzw backup assistant will copy contacts.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,639 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Backup Assistant will transfer contacts if you don't want to use a 3rd party.

I use Asurion (Verizon's insurance). they have been great with me in the past and I have always gotten replacements quickly and without problem. I do not use AppleCare.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Nanite

Correct me if im wrong. Applecare+ does not cover theft at all but Verizon insurance does?
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Nanite

How do you transfer contacts from backup assistant? And is there a way to transfer text messages?
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
    Backup Assistant will transfer contacts if you don't want to use a 3rd party.

I use Asurion (Verizon's insurance). they have been great with me in the past and I have always gotten replacements quickly and without problem. I do not use AppleCare.
    How long is quickly? And is it in person or thru mail.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xsuki000 View Post
    Hi everyone. I had a couple questions and i figured itd be easier and quicker to ask here than try to get through to verizon customer service.

This is going to be my first iphone (iphone5) and was the first time i ever ordered a phone online. I currently have an android phone. I was wondering when i activate the iphone, will my droid immediately deactivate itself? And if so ill still be able to access my files and stuff right, just not go on the internet or make calls/texts?

2nd. How do i transfer contacts and whatnot to the new phone. What CAN i transfer? And i should do this before activating the iphone?

3rd. As for insurance, what is the difference between verizons and applecare? Which do you prefer to get?
    applecare you have to go to an apple store, verizons they will just send you a replacement in the mail. Both aren't the best but unless you live near an apple store verizon's is the lesser of the 2 evils.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    applecare you have to go to an apple store, verizons they will just send you a replacement in the mail. Both aren't the best but unless you live near an apple store verizon's is the lesser of the 2 evils.
    Sorry i'm a little confused. I live near many Verizon stores and Apple stores. So which is better?

The thing is, if you send in your phone for a replacement, do they reactivate an old phone in the meantime or are you just without a phone? This is why i'm kind of liking applecare+ more.
    iPhone Nanite

Applecare doesnt cover theft or loss, try protectyourbubble, a newcomer that has good reviews
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

My past experiences with assurion is why I have AppleCare+ on my iPhone 4s.

With Assurion, you have to wait until they ship the phone to you, the phone that they would send my was not in the best condition, and the insurance costed more over a one year period.

With AppleCare+, I just took my phone in to the Apple Sotore and they swapped it out for a new phone and even set it up for me. The only problem is if your phone is stolen/lost. AC+ does not cover that.