Moving to Verizon - what does no dual voice and Data look like?

rsprim

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok so right now I'm moving from AT&T to Verizon on my Family Share plan when I get the new iPhone 5 to save money and get better coverage and more services for less. I've read that I can't do simultaneous voice and data but I'm not sure how that is actually implemented and I'm concerned with how it will impact me. Here are a few scenarios that I'm hoping those of you with the 4S can explain or confirm how it works on Verizon. Thanks for the insight.

When on the phone:
- no texts or push messages are received?
- what happens when you try to use data (check email, send text, use google maps)? Nothing? Are you given an option to end the call?
- will the hotspot capability still work when on the phone? Or does it stop every time I answer the phone? Hopefully it will still work, otherwise I may need to stay with AT&T, ugh.

When using data (i.e. streaming music, video):
- will a call override the video and come in anyway or go to voicemail?

I was told by Verizon in an earlier conversation that I could do both voice and data simultaneously on LTE but after reading the forum I'm not expecting that to work. What a bummer.

sk8erdh36

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok so right now I'm moving from AT&T to Verizon on my Family Share plan when I get the new iPhone 5 to save money and get better coverage and more services for less. I've read that I can't do simultaneous voice and data but I'm not sure how that is actually implemented and I'm concerned with how it will impact me. Here are a few scenarios that I'm hoping those of you with the 4S can explain or confirm how it works on Verizon. Thanks for the insight.

When on the phone:
- no texts or push messages are received?
- what happens when you try to use data (check email, send text, use google maps)? Nothing? Are you given an option to end the call?
- will the hotspot capability still work when on the phone? Or does it stop every time I answer the phone? Hopefully it will still work, otherwise I may need to stay with AT&T, ugh.

When using data (i.e. streaming music, video):
- will a call override the video and come in anyway or go to voicemail?

I was told by Verizon in an earlier conversation that I could do both voice and data simultaneously on LTE but after reading the forum I'm not expecting that to work. What a bummer.

You can still get texts. If they are being sent in iMessage they will be converted to texts if they have that option enabled.
When you try and use data it just says it is unavailable at the moment. I do not believe you are given the option to end the call.
I believe the hotspot will not work while on a call.

Now if you are at home, or at office and have WiFi everything will work just like AT&T.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Verizon, I find it annoying on rare occasion. They area I live, Metropolitan So Cal, So OC, has a huge problem with dropped calls with ATT, and sound quality. So much that, I prefer to suffer with the few times I am not in a WiFi area and need to talk and use data at the same time.

Texts come in and out fine during calls and hotspot
Hotspot - No it stops as soon as phone starts ringing
Data - "No data Connection can be made at this time". No, with my IP4 there is no option to end the call when you try to access data. But, when the call ends, whatever links or urls you may have put in, come up. Regarding movie streaming, that is a good question and I will test it for you.

If ever dropped calls were not an issue and ATT coverage were better in So Cali, I would probably go with them.
This is not a commentary on ATT in anyone's service area other than my own in So Cali.

Last edited:

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
IP4 (Verizon) Hotspot -iPad- Netflix - when a call came in I let it ring til right up until it went to voicemail.
If I answered, the movie continued to play for 30 seconds to a minute and a half, would halt and resume at the end of a call.

On the phone, the call screen covers the Netflix movie, sending the call to VM, sends it back to Netflix screen, but you have to hit play again.

One thing I didn't know, is that I can stream Netflix on my iPhone and iPad at the same time with different movies, i am surprised Netflix and 3g support that much bandwidth.

One nice thing about Verizon is new plan, I won't have to rely on Hotspot via iP anymore, I activating the ipad on shared data.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I use Navigon and have for years, and never had an issue.
GPS continues.

Even while on extended trip to Europe (2 months) when there is no CDMA,
or data, GPS still works.

To be more specific, while routing with Navigon, call screen goes interrupts Navigon screen, but not sound (which can be annoying, Palm had a much better handle on this). But you can double home screen click back to Navigation screen, while on call.

Last edited:

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
THe only time id need voice and data is when im using navigation. It seems like that wont be an issue, although it wont be able to reroute if i get off track. Its a small price to pay compared to the slower att service in my area. I happily left gsm and went to cdma and havent heard that buzzing on the radio from when my gsm phones are sending and receiving data. Not sure if that still exists, but ive been happy with cdma since switching.
I dont talk much on my phone and when i do, i usually have to grab info from my phone and not the internet anyways.

NoNeckNick

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I read that the fact that vzw phones currently cant do simultaneous voice and data unless on wifi that this eventually will be solved.I just dont know how long it will actually take until it is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro