Verizon Dual Voice/Data CDMA EVDO (when not on LTE)

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So I see that the iPhone 5 (CDMA) supports both EVDO Rev A and Rev B. The 4 and the 4s did *not* support both (only A,) and does not have simultaneous voice and data.

Does the inclusion of the Rev B capabilities grant SVDO capabilities to the iPhone 5 so that we can use voice and data simultaneously over EVDO/CDMA? (I know LTE supports it, but I ride a train every day and I'm in and out of LTE zones throughout the ride between Baltimore, MD and Philadelpia, PA.)

I'm not intimately familiar with the various technologies, so was hoping someone else here who knows more might have some insight.

I contacted Verizon, and while they thought I asked a "great" question, they didn't know yet.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
as far as i know, both revisions of CDMA do not support simultaneous voice/data. its a limitation of the technology. the only difference between the revisions is the speeds.

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've read the same thing, that it's the technology that's limited, but I am 100% positive that the HTC Thunderbolt can do simultaneous voice and data when *not* connected ot the LTE network; over just EVDO.

I've read that it can do this because of something called SVDO, which the Verizon network supports, but that not all phones support.

I wasn't sure if SVDO had any connection to EVDO Rev B or not.

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So the S III supports it as well. Nice. Well I hope the iPhone 5 will as well!! Yes, I know it's "old" technology, but nice to have. And yes, I rarely ever have the need to be on the phone while browsing data, but again, nice to have!

The Verizon rep I spoke to said that LTE would be full nationwide (replacing the 3G coverage map) by next summer, so by then it will be a non-issue, I guess.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So the S III supports it as well. Nice. Well I hope the iPhone 5 will as well!! Yes, I know it's "old" technology, but nice to have. And yes, I rarely ever have the need to be on the phone while browsing data, but again, nice to have!

The Verizon rep I spoke to said that LTE would be full nationwide (replacing the 3G coverage map) by next summer, so by then it will be a non-issue, I guess.

Verizon seems to be rolling out a new batch of markets every few months and they do have pretty good lte coverage as it is and only will continue to expand.

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No doubt. I ride Amtrak every day, Monday - Friday, and there are areas between Baltimore and Philadelphia that do not have 4G coverage; I don't consider them rural, but I'm sure they're not on the priority list for new markets. That's why I was hoping we'd have the ability over 3G. If they added it, I could dump the data plan I have on my WWAN card and use my iPhone hotspot. If I'm on the phone during the trip, I frequently need the data at the same time. (And Amtrak's WiFi is unusable, but that's another story.)

Fingers crossed CDMA/EVDO adopts this amazing 2007 technology with the 5! :)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on the phone maker. Utilizing SVDO is based on the phone's antenna design.

I guess if Samsung did it they must have copied to from Apple, right? :confused:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW