Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Verizon overhauls its rateplans

Verizon Overhauls Its Rate Plans, Focusing on Shared Data - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

This ought to get interesting. On the surface, it seems like a really good deal for us consumers... but often in this business, things do not turn out as well as they first appear...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    33,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1.1

Ok so the end of the article said hotspot was now going to be included, BUT will it be included for all, or just those on the new plans? Certainly as a single line customer there is NO montivation for me to switch to these new plan which will cost me more and give me less. BUT it would be nice to get free hotspot.
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-12-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    stewm likes this.
    iMore Newbie

It is interesting that they are putting the basis of their rates on 'data usage' as opposed to voice usage. This is definitely one of their stepping stones to switching over to a full 4G LTE system with the voice and messaging all operating under VOIP.

Once I see the actual costs involved and the taxes and fee's they will add, and any mystery administration fee's they pop in the bulk out their profit margins I will see whether it is viable for a low data user operating a single device or two devices on their network. I have a horrible feeling though that it will make it cheaper for me to go to AT&T.

The way they work it out it kind of backdoors the costs, typical of Verizon though so rather than pay a lower fee for each phone people will pay almost as much as a basic voice plan was without messaging and then pay a single fee for the data so it really only benefits people that had four or five devices on a plan and maybe even then it might not save them more than a few dollars a month.

I will see what happens and how AT&T handle their version of shared data, I've got the time to before my contract expires and it may be worth it for me to just pay full price for a device and keep the unlimited data.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Indeed. Some have likened the tactics of the wireless providers to crack dealers... get you hooked and then stick it to you.

For single line users, it's gonna suck... but in my case (I'm on AT&T, so it's a moot point right now, but do not doubt, it's coming to AT&T, too), it would save me a bit. I have 5 lines, 4 smart phones ($120 in data alone), plus 3 tablets that we could add... so would save us initially... until they have us totally hooked.

AT&T already does free hotspots, so I'm surprised that Big Red doesn't include them as well.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    11,876 Global Posts
    iOS Version

According to: Share Everything Calculator - Verizon Wireless - I'm better off with my current plan, but not by a whole lot.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

I am on a shared plan with one other person who is planning to get a smartphone.

Right now it's $70 for voice, $10 for texting for me, $30 for unlimited data for me. Throw in another $30 for another data plan and it's $140/month.

The new plan is $80 to cover both smartphones and $70 for 4gb of data. $150/month.

It's a bit of a rip off since I no longer have unlimited data and we did fine on the 700min and neither of us are huge texters- I've never sent out more than 1000 texts in a month. So basically I give up the unlimited data and get unlimited minutes and text when that was never an issue for me in exchange for tethering which would be nice, but not something I need.

I'm OK with it. I never expected this unlimited data to continue.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

With this plan with 4gb(I need at least this) I am paying the same price I pay now(4 iPhones). My current plan includes 1400 minutes(20% discount) +3x2GB Plan + 1x Unlimited Plan. Without taxes my bill is about $229.99. Verizon tries to convince me to switch by offering me Unlimited Talk(only use about 800 minutes now and that's not even my line) and free MHS. Verizon knew they were ripping us off. For example, with the MHS they know that a normal suburban family probably wouldn't know about the feature and would just go purchase an iPad or other tablet/hotspot straight from Verizon. Not happy. Considering I was hoping for at least a $20 discount. With the 2gb plan we all get 512 mb and we have no clue about my sisters total usage because she just got a iPhone last week(cycle starts 22nd) and she has used about 200 mb(probably gonna be at least 400 mb for her). However, I use about 1-1.5 gb a month for data so I worry about going over. Not happy.

Unless you have the lowest plan and 2 smartphones then this is not a deal at all or if you only have feature phones with the lowest plan(your probably don't know about this ).
    VZ iPhone 4
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,003 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I will NOT be upgraded my family! Here's my breakdown.

Please note that we are on a 550 minute plan they no longer offer. And we don't even scratch the surface of those minutes:

$50 My line base price
    $10 wife's line
    $10 daughter's line
    $10 daughter's TXT plan (500 anyone unlimited VZW)
    $30 my data (unlimited)
    -----
    $110

Base costs if my wife and daughter stay with their current dumb phones:

$40 my phone
    $30 wife's phone
    $30 daughter's phone
    $70 4gb data (I am usually at or under 2 so bumping to 4)
    -----
    $170

That's nuts. totally. If my wife wanted an iphone, assuming my daughter sticks with her new (this weekend) basic phone, we'd be better off just getting a tier data for my wife:

$50 My line base price
    $10 wife's line
    $10 daughter's line
    $10 daughter's TXT plan (500 anyone unlimited VZW)
    $30 my data (unlimited)
    $30 wife's data (2gb)
    -----
    $140

Ugh! F you big red!!!!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,003 Global Posts
    iOS Version

here's the confusing part.....If what i read is correct.....I could still choose to put my wife on a tiered individual data plan of $30 for 2gb. Then we're at the $140. That's not as bad as being forced to put all 3 phones on it....It's just not clear anywhere that this is really the case....
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,003 Global Posts
    iOS Version

What is still confusing is, the way i read another part, even if I stay with my one smartphone and 2 dumb phones, even if it's the dumbphone needing "replacement", that could push us onto the new plan...??? Is this right?

I am soooo confused!
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,722 Global Posts

I'd need to know what my discount would apply to. But this new plan would seem to work for those putting several users on it and splitting the bill up. For one to three users it would seem to be the same or even more expensive.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,167 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'd need to know what my discount would apply to. But this new plan would seem to work for those putting several users on it and splitting the bill up. For one to three users it would seem to be the same or even more expensive.
    I spoke to Verizon today, and they told me that employee discounts would not apply on this plan.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am so flipping mad at Verizon. I have 4 smartphone lines. We have the 1400 minute family share plan. We're lucky if we, as a whole, break 400 minutes monthly. Lol. Unlimited voice is a joke.

I also have unlimited data on all 4 lines. 2 lines barely break 500mb monthly. The remaining 2 lines use 1-3 gigs of data monthly. I've never complained about paying $120 monthly for minimal data usage. It gives me peace of mind knowing I never have to think about it.

This tiered plan does nothing more than give Verizon an opportunity to charge me the same monthly rate and at the same time cut my data allotment in half. This is clearly Verizon's way of getting it's customer base on tiered plans, so as our thirst for data grows, Verizon will be there to squeeze us.

I dedicate my next stinky fart to the intellects at Verizon Wireless.
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Indeed. Some have likened the tactics of the wireless providers to crack dealers... (I'm on AT&T, so it's a moot point right now, but do not doubt, it's coming to AT&T, too)
    AT&T here too. If (when) they do this....I'm out. Of course they won't care because there will still be millions of crack heads. crack kills!
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ok, so this thread already answered one of my questions (would employee discounts apply to this plan). My other question is: Will the regular family share plans stick around or is the "Share Everything" plan going to be the only option for family plans?

Right now, we have 4 phones on our plan (2 iPhones, 2 dumb phones). We have 700 minutes and barely use half of them. We are currently playing about $170 a month (with a corporate discount), if we switch to "Share Everything" the bill will be $210+ and the discount won't apply. So is "Share Everything" going to replace family plans or be another family plan option?
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Verizon overhauls its rateplans-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339554381.856280.jpg

Employee discounts will still work basically the same way
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

I was thinking about switching to the big red from AT&T. This has now changed my mind. What a ripoff! I haven't done the math but, switching to virgin or cricket is looking more likely as these big phone companies are getting more greedy by the minute.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Hmm doing this will cost me more .. No thanks 3 or my 4 lines are unlimited data the 4th is 30 for 2 gig

Even if I gain unlimited min ( don't need )

4 gig shared basically 1 gig each would cost the same if not more ..

The other lines won't upgrade until they break there phone so no worry there but for me to upgrade Ill be stuck going to 30 for 2 gig

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Peligro or Roll-Tide: Are you forced onto the "Share Everything" plan when you upgrade your device? We have an extra dumb phone on our plan and it won't be worth it to keep anymore if it's $30 a month.
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I love Verizon. This new shared plan will save me lots of money. How much? Check this out. So now we have 3 lines. All iPhones are iPhone 4 with unlimited data plans. We have the 2000 minute family plan and unlimited texting. So it's $100 for the first 2 lines plus the $30 for unlimited texting and $10 for line #3. Then $30 per phone for the data. Total = $230 + tax. We get 20% off on the family minute plan and one of the data plans, so that covers the tax basically. Our bill is $227 per month. I am the heaviest data user and have never gone over 1.2GB ( and I am a heavy user, using data all day long, just use wifi at home and work). One of the other line's highest months was .37GB and the 3rd line's highest month was .57GB. So we basically use at most about 2GB per month together. I understand that when we upgrade to iPhone 5 we will use more data since everything will use it (Siri, navigation, facetime, etc, etc.) So I am figuring worst case scenario that our data usage triples (that's a bit overkill but lets assume that) So when we switch to the shared data we are looking at: $40 x 3 =$120 . Plus a 6GB data plan @ $80. For a total of $200 (again the 20% discount will cover the taxes). So we would save about $40 per month. Even if our data usage goes up 5 fold, and we would need the 10GB plan, we would still save $20 per month. Not to mention now I would have the hotspot feature included for my iPad (I wanted this but haven't gotten it since it's $20 per month). So really that's a $40-$60 savings for us. I like these new plans.
    Last edited by fmflex; 06-16-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    iOS Version

@fmflex

You do realize we are being set up? Your devices are all 3G phones. Once your family upgrades to LTE devices, your data usage will skyrocket.

When I had my Fascinate, I used 2 gigs of data per month. With my Charge & Nexus, my usage was 5-7 gigs. I then bought an iPhone 4S, and now my data usage is averaging 2-3 gigs per month.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I have 4 lines 4 iPhones and one dummy phone

I pay 270 a month

I have a discount

But 3/4 iPhones are unlimited

If I go the new way
    It will be 260 with 4gb shared

So 1 gig each basically

If I didn't have the dummy phone ( not used) it would save 30 bucks so it might have been worth it then but as of right now it's not worth the 10 bucks I'll have to figure out the discount but I'll see

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Lodingi View Post
    @fmflex

You do realize we are being set up? Your devices are all 3G phones. Once your family upgrades to LTE devices, your data usage will skyrocket.

When I had my Fascinate, I used 2 gigs of data per month. With my Charge & Nexus, my usage was 5-7 gigs. I then bought an iPhone 4S, and now my data usage is averaging 2-3 gigs per month.
    Really? Is it because LTE uses more data for the same stuff or because its so fast that you just use it more?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by fmflex View Post
    Really? Is it because LTE uses more data for the same stuff or because its so fast that you just use it more?
    The LTE pulls in more data to give you those fast speeds. That's why people use more data on LTE. Verizon switching plans and leaving that little tidbit out is sweet. Kinda like running your garden hose. Open the faucet half way that's 3G. Now open it all the way. That's LTE. More data flowing for the same end result.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by iLive an iLife View Post
    Peligro or Roll-Tide: Are you forced onto the "Share Everything" plan when you upgrade your device? We have an extra dumb phone on our plan and it won't be worth it to keep anymore if it's $30 a month.
    No you can keep your current plan if you upgrade a line that is unlimited data you have to put it on a 2g plan for 30 or whatever or move to the whole new plan the old plans are only available this way ..

One of my lines that has a upgrade is already on tiered data so I'll use that upgrade to get my new phone for the other line .. There for keeping my unlimited on my line .. That is the hope anyway only thing that might stop it is if it's a 4g device it might not allow it but we will see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast