Verizon overhauls its rateplans

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
@fmflex

You do realize we are being set up? Your devices are all 3G phones. Once your family upgrades to LTE devices, your data usage will skyrocket.

When I had my Fascinate, I used 2 gigs of data per month. With my Charge & Nexus, my usage was 5-7 gigs. I then bought an iPhone 4S, and now my data usage is averaging 2-3 gigs per month.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have 4 lines 4 iPhones and one dummy phone

I pay 270 a month

I have a discount

But 3/4 iPhones are unlimited

If I go the new way
It will be 260 with 4gb shared

So 1 gig each basically

If I didn't have the dummy phone ( not used) it would save 30 bucks so it might have been worth it then but as of right now it's not worth the 10 bucks I'll have to figure out the discount but I'll see

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
@fmflex

You do realize we are being set up? Your devices are all 3G phones. Once your family upgrades to LTE devices, your data usage will skyrocket.

When I had my Fascinate, I used 2 gigs of data per month. With my Charge & Nexus, my usage was 5-7 gigs. I then bought an iPhone 4S, and now my data usage is averaging 2-3 gigs per month.

Really? Is it because LTE uses more data for the same stuff or because its so fast that you just use it more?

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Really? Is it because LTE uses more data for the same stuff or because its so fast that you just use it more?

The LTE pulls in more data to give you those fast speeds. That's why people use more data on LTE. Verizon switching plans and leaving that little tidbit out is sweet. Kinda like running your garden hose. Open the faucet half way that's 3G. Now open it all the way. That's LTE. More data flowing for the same end result.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Peligro or Roll-Tide: Are you forced onto the "Share Everything" plan when you upgrade your device? We have an extra dumb phone on our plan and it won't be worth it to keep anymore if it's $30 a month.

No you can keep your current plan if you upgrade a line that is unlimited data you have to put it on a 2g plan for 30 or whatever or move to the whole new plan the old plans are only available this way ..

One of my lines that has a upgrade is already on tiered data so I'll use that upgrade to get my new phone for the other line .. There for keeping my unlimited on my line .. That is the hope anyway only thing that might stop it is if it's a 4g device it might not allow it but we will see

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
The LTE pulls in more data to give you those fast speeds. That's why people use more data on LTE. Verizon switching plans and leaving that little tidbit out is sweet. Kinda like running your garden hose. Open the faucet half way that's 3G. Now open it all the way. That's LTE. More data flowing for the same end result.

This.

I think a lot of people are in for a surprise once they start getting charged for data overages.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm not completely sure I'm buying this... yes, the pipe is bigger so there's more data flowing through the pipe... but it flows for less time. If the data flows at twice the 3G rate, in theory, it should only flow for half the duration.

What am I missing?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the "overcharge" for additional data on $10 a gig? I was expecting something ridiculous (like the 45 cents a minute after your allotted minutes).

I don't know anyone with a 4G device. I'd be anxious to see how much data they use on 4G vs 3G.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Am I missing something ? If I download a 1 Gb movie it will take half the time on 4g as it does on 3G but ultimately it's still 1Gb. So how does 4G increase my data usage? In your hose example: if I need a full bucket, either way I get a bucket, but with 4g I get it in less time. But it's still just 1 bucket. No?

Sent from my iPhone -Tapatalk

Last edited:

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I was doing a little research on this 4G vs 3G and data usage. I found this thread over at MacRumors and it does a great job of explaining everything: How does 4G use more data thread - MacRumors Forums.

For those of you who don't want to read the thread - usage between 3G and 4G should basically be the same (some sites may render in HD which would use more data). The only thing is, with 4G everything, since everything is so much faster, it encourages more clicking/browsing which will obviously use more data.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was doing a little research on this 4G vs 3G and data usage. I found this thread over at MacRumors and it does a great job of explaining everything: How does 4G use more data thread - MacRumors Forums.

For those of you who don't want to read the thread - usage between 3G and 4G should basically be the same (some sites may render in HD which would use more data). The only thing is, with 4G everything, since everything is so much faster, it encourages more clicking/browsing which will obviously use more data.

... and this I will accept... if it's that much faster, I will definitely use it more, and thereby use more data.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I found this online, so if anyone has any questions, this site answers a few.

Most importantly:

Q: I'm a current Verizon customer with a 3G phone, but I need faster data downloads. Do I have to go to a new plan if I upgrade to a 4G phone?

A: No, you can keep your old plan. However, if you have an unlimited data plan, you'll be paying full price for that spiffy new 4G phone, as mentioned above.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Great find, Laura! This was a huge help for me!! It's good to receive additional confirmation of what I've been hearing. I'm probably going to end up switching my family plan to share everything early next year anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping I can use my sisters upgrade who already is on a tiered data plan then do a esn swap to my line to avoid buying the phone at full retail to keep my unlimited data although I know this will be a one time thing unless I only use her line to upgrade lol

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping I can use my sisters upgrade who already is on a tiered data plan then do a esn swap to my line to avoid buying the phone at full retail to keep my unlimited data although I know this will be a one time thing unless I only use her line to upgrade lol

That's not a bad idea! I might try that as well when it's time to get my BB10 device, since it now appears I'm gonna have to pay retail. :(

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I looked into the Share Everything today - it would cost me a few dollars more than what i pay(which included our 22% discount BTW) now AND our data usage would then be limited to 10gb's for all 5 phones. Its probably do-able for us, but why change my unlimited while i can still have that and risk going over.....

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I looked into the Share Everything today - it would cost me a few dollars more than what i pay(which included our 22% discount BTW) now AND our data usage would then be limited to 10gb's for all 5 phones. Its probably do-able for us, but why change my unlimited while i can still have that and risk going over.....

I checked my plan options... what their "calculator" suggested was about $10 more... the only advantage to it would be the 'free' mobile hotspot that would cost me $20/month if I added it to my existing plan... I'm going to keep what I got for now.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I checked my plan options... what their "calculator" suggested was about $10 more... the only advantage to it would be the 'free' mobile hotspot that would cost me $20/month if I added it to my existing plan... I'm going to keep what I got for now.

Yea, the only additional advantage i'd gain is the mobile hotspot as well...and none of us NEVER use it, so really it wouldnt be feasible for us to switch plans either.

i'll hang onto what i've got for as long as possible till we absolutely have to change over. In the meantime, i found it amusing - yesterday i rec'd a tx from VzW telling me i'm eligible for my 'early' upgrade...included in the message was a reminder that theres a $30 upgrade fee:rolleyes: Ummmmm no, idts!! i'll pass thanks!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods