Verizon's grandfathered unlimited data plans ending soon

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
This sucks my upgrade is October 12th. I was planing on getting the new iPhone with my upgrade at a discounted price. Well might have to start saving now and when I get it I plan on using the **** out of my data.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll go on the Internet and watch videos when I'm home like I used to. Because why spend $30, $50, $100 for a data plan that's not unlimited, and for something like a phone? All I'm doing is checking emails and going on websites and downloading games. Really? You want me to pay $50 a month to check my email?

All that wasted money. But phone data from cellular companies is WAY TOO expensive.

I'm not going to be the one that feels the pinch.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I am sure more carriers will follow in Verizon's footsteps. Seeing that you work for the business I'm not so sure I would chop off my nose to spite my face. At least see what they offer after all, Verizon is the hand that feeds you.

Well it's not to say that I'd jump ship, is just buy my future devices at retail cost. I just don't want to feel limited. I'd rather have it and "not need it" than need it and not have it!

Sent from space using Tapatalk

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It should be interesting to see what happens at my next upgrade. I have two phones on unlimited data with a $20 per line data discount. I'm almost positive they don't like my plan much but it has a sunset of 2038. Now if they want to give me a bucket of say five gigs for ten or twenty bucks I could be happy.

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Not a surprise. All the Canadian carriers phased out grandfathered when they went to hspa+ network and only way to keep a grandfathered was to keep your old phone since all new ones defaulted on the new network.

beeray

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
It should be interesting to see what happens at my next upgrade. I have two phones on unlimited data with a $20 per line data discount. I'm almost positive they don't like my plan much but it has a sunset of 2038. Now if they want to give me a bucket of say five gigs for ten or twenty bucks I could be happy.

You are right, I also have that promotion.

Beeray

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Only a matter of time before AT&T does this as well. "Competition" among cell providers is a joke and works the opposite of what it should. It's more a case of one company screwing the customer, taking the heat for a month or two, and then the rest following suit (ETF, upgrade fees, tiered data plans, getting rid of tiered texting plans, etc).

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It's almost like the airlines. You wonder if they don't just take turns sometimes. "Ok Delta it's your turn, test the water for carry on charges." if it works they all follow Delta's lead. Verizon and AT&T know the vast population act as Lemmings and will just go along with the flow. The numbers that might leave pale in comparison of the numbers they will retain. AT&T did it with tiered data and now Verizon is taking a swipe at Grandfathered plans. They take equal heat and both win in the end.

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
And its not just Verizon. Why Apple would ever think its a good default to sync data and documents for all your phone?s applications over a cellular network in the world of severely limited data plans and usage based billing is beyond me.

People are going to be complacent about it right up until they're paying $10 per kilobyte.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
And its not just Verizon. Why Apple would ever think its a good default to sync data and documents for all your phone’s applications over a cellular network in the world of severely limited data plans and usage based billing is beyond me.

People are going to be complacent about it right up until they're paying $10 per kilobyte.

I sync stuff all the time between my devices and various cloud accounts via 3G and it uses very little data. Of course, each user is different. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

stewm

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The will be losing me as a customer

Verizon has really disappointed me with their lack of clarity with this 'Shared Data Plan'!

I've really had a lot of time to mull things over and really their service is getting worse, their 4G is nothing to boast about in our area, really because it stops 13 miles away and even at that location it is marked on the map as 'not guaranteed'

All these extra charges, for crying out loud Verizon!, if you need an extra $30 for a device then increase the prices up front! Then all these 'Verizon Admin Fees' just increase the contract price instead of having numerous extra admin fee's, but hey, then on both counts you would lose customers and you would lose them pretty damn quick because customers could use the 'unreasonable increase in service pricing' and get out immediately.

Worst still, is that your clarity on pricing, or rather lack of clarity, is appalling. I know that you didn't expect the backlash because you didn't really expect the media to pick up on the statement during an investor conference call! Unfortunately, the pitiful offer of a method to keep unlimited data is petty and deliberate set to force people over to the plan because you know that you could then increase the pricing of the unlimited plan each month and if the customers don't like it then they can either get lost or sign a contract with shared data.

Oh and what about those of us that only have a single device? We know that the pricing may have a negative affect both on our service and our wallets. You like to stick it to those that don't have a family load of devices.

As for losing the unlimited data plan, you aren't going to lose me as a customer for that, it's all the other things above and the god awful data service in my area that will lose your business from me, after 10 years of being a customer. I rarely get even close to 1GB of data, in fact I think 750 MB of data is the most that have ever used in a month and that was when I had a blackberry and couldn't use WiFi because the Blackberry Storm didn't have WiFi in its first incarnation.

I guess what I am saying Verizon is that you are like a fake friend, your nice until you get what you want and then you crap all over us. What should you do with fake friends, dump them. At least AT&T have a history of being terrible but I can buy an unlocked device and then when I am in the UK I can insert a prepay sim from T-Mobile/Orange and get service and I will never worry about having to wait 2 years.

I've learnt my lesson, it's not worth paying the contract price anymore and not worth being with a Carrier that is not compatible with the rest of the world.

Verizon, just like a fake Friend, you won't miss me, and I definitely won't miss you. (Oh and your FIOS service price increases suck too, we may part ways on that as well LOL).

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
And its not just Verizon. Why Apple would ever think its a good default to sync data and documents for all your phone?s applications over a cellular network in the world of severely limited data plans and usage based billing is beyond me.

That's because everybody grew up thinking data was cheap. It's like driving SUVs when gas was cheap. Now consumers are a lot more cautious and developers will have to program this better.

Everybody will phase out unlimited data and prices will remain high for awhile. But because any of us can switch to a carrier (unlike the cable companies at home), the wireless companies will have to do something to differentiate themselves from others. What's to stop me from going to T-mo, Sprint, etc? I can bring my old number, I can walk into any store and buy a phone. 4G is now becoming the standard. And data is data. So eventually I think you will see a price war for data. For example- one company gets rid of the 2GB and charges 5GB at 2GB prices. Save $10/month on data and get more data? That's $120/yr, for a 2yr contract that's $240 saved. People will move. It will never be unlimited, but I think prices will drop in the next 5yrs.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What's to stop me from going to T-mo, Sprint, etc?

Native network coverage. If you ain't got it, don't bother switching. If you spend most of a billing cycle roaming for multiple cycles, they will fire you as a customer.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
As a single man, with 1 phone there is nothing to like about these new plans for me. I'm already planing my exit strategy IF they force my hand. ;) Of course I have a feeling they will work with me BUT if not 4/13 then Sprint or Tmobile here I come!

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
As a single man, with 1 phone there is nothing to like about these new plans for me. I'm already planing my exit strategy IF they force my hand. ;) Of course I have a feeling they will work with me BUT if not 4/13 then Sprint or Tmobile here I come!

I'm in the same boat. If I decide to jump it will be to AT&T though. I probably will stay though due to the corporate discounts I get with Vz. I may forgo the unlimited data plan and jump to the tiered plan (2GB) due to the fact I never use more than 1.5 gb a month. This way my monthly bill will not change. I don't want to pay full retail for a phone. Or, I may hold off for about 6 months or so and buy the new iPhone off contract from CL/eBay and keep my unlimited data. We shall see.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you use a alternate upgrade from a line that already has a tiered data plan it's that same as buying a device off contract for your line .. That means for me come October iPhone 5 unlimited data :) ( I have confirmed this with Verizon )

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I agree with PK. I only have one phone on my plan...the new plans do not benefit me...I'll actually end up paying more for an equivalent plan that I'm currently on. I use around 2.5 GB per month...so I'd have to do the 4GB plan. I currently have 900 min, 5 friends/family, unlimited text and data for 82.10 after taxes. The new plan of unlimited talk/text, 4 GB of shareable data would run me 99 and change after taxes. I've had an upgrade since Dec 2011...maybe I should have used it than...

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I know on 3G, VZ would throttle after 2GBs if the tower you are on was under heavy traffic. AT&T would throttle everyone after 3G who were still on the grandfathered unlimited plan.

I read that AT&T was upping the throttle starting point to 5Gbs for iPhones on LTE, has anyone heard what, if any, changes Verizon made to their policy?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR