Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    715 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Verizon pushing it's upgrade fee to $30

Verizon will implement it starting on 4/22:

Here's the press release:

On April 22, Verizon Wireless is implementing a $30 upgrade fee for existing customers purchasing new mobile equipment at a discounted price with a two-year contract. This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.

While the upgrade fee is not unique to Verizon Wireless, most devices can be traded in with our green friendly trade-in program at www.verizonwireless.com/tradein as a way to save money or potentially offset the fee completely.
    Link below:

Verizon pushes its upgrade fee to $30 on April 22nd -- Engadget
    iPhone 6 - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +

Global Posts
    12,133 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's an earthenware vessel teeming with bovine processed feed-grains.
    Last edited by kch50428; 04-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.
    in short; bend over and like it?
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,718 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    That and "We own your a**. Try to stop us."
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My Mum just upgraded her phone in January and there wasn't any upgrade fee. How can they "increase" an upgrade few when, supposedly, there wasn't one in the first place?!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    It's an earthenware vessel teeming with bovine processed feed-grains.
    Indeed. The previous fee of $18 was egregious... this is beyond obscene. #moneygrab

And, of course, you know what's coming now... AT&T, Sprint & T-Mo will announce plans to follow suit within days...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    iOS Version

AT&T already increased their upgrade fee to $36. I guess Verizon was just following in suit.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
    iMore Newbie

This is rediculous, if they are going to charge an upgrade fee then they should charge it and show it as part of the actual upgrade price for the device so that the price is inclusive. Just like they should include all local taxes and fees when they quote a price for the service or for devices and stop this hidden fee's.

I remember when they replaced a federal fee that was discontinued with an administration fee of their own and used the reasoning that they didn't want us to be confused by a sudden drop in their cell phone bills! They cancelled that plan after the uproar over it.

Then they decided that the early termination fee should be whacked up.

Now they want yet another 'administrative' fee to be increased, almost doubled, quite how they can justify this fee.

Personally I think they should spread this cost over the 24 months of the contract or the 20 months they run the new every two scheme and include all their mystery fee's in the actual cost of the plan instead of making them little hidden extras among the state and federal fee's and taxes.

It is time that Verizon and AT&T and all the carriers were honest and up front about the actual fee's and stopped making these extra little fee's to improve their bottom line on the sly. If it costs me $100 for my contract and $15 for taxes then I want the taxes to be only state and federal taxes and fee's I don't want to see hidden administration charges designed to cream off extra profit and avoid the carrier breaching the terms of their own contract with us that they will not increase the 24 month contract price that was agreed! They would be less likely to screw with the customers if the risk of losing their customer to another carrier was increased.

I
    Banned

Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    iOS Version

This is small potatoes. I'm waiting for AT&T to eliminate subsidized upgrades before the 20 month of the contract. Me thinks that analyst who pushed back on Apple's next earnings call was onto something.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?j3ofbv
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by iLive an iLife View Post
    AT&T already increased their upgrade fee to $36. I guess Verizon was just following in suit.
    Not sure how I missed that one... thanks... still an obscene money grab.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by stewm View Post
    This is rediculous, if they are going to charge an upgrade fee then they should charge it and show it as part of the actual upgrade price for the device so that the price is inclusive. Just like they should include all local taxes and fees when they quote a price for the service or for devices and stop this hidden fee's.

I remember when they replaced a federal fee that was discontinued with an administration fee of their own and used the reasoning that they didn't want us to be confused by a sudden drop in their cell phone bills! They cancelled that plan after the uproar over it.

Then they decided that the early termination fee should be whacked up.

Now they want yet another 'administrative' fee to be increased, almost doubled, quite how they can justify this fee.

Personally I think they should spread this cost over the 24 months of the contract or the 20 months they run the new every two scheme and include all their mystery fee's in the actual cost of the plan instead of making them little hidden extras among the state and federal fee's and taxes.

It is time that Verizon and AT&T and all the carriers were honest and up front about the actual fee's and stopped making these extra little fee's to improve their bottom line on the sly. If it costs me $100 for my contract and $15 for taxes then I want the taxes to be only state and federal taxes and fee's I don't want to see hidden administration charges designed to cream off extra profit and avoid the carrier breaching the terms of their own contract with us that they will not increase the 24 month contract price that was agreed! They would be less likely to screw with the customers if the risk of losing their customer to another carrier was increased.

I
    The problem is we, the little guys, have NO options... we're locked into contracts and they have us by the short hairs... It sucks, and there ought to be a law... but it is what it is...
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    pretty much.
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I wonder if this will apply to Business/Government customers......
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
    iPhone Intermediate

Sheesh. upgrade fee? I will probably not upgrade as often. Good thing the iPhone is a quality product and not prone to degrade quickly like some of the androids.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

I'm not worried about it even though I don't fully understand what this means. It's only a one time fee of $30, not a big deal
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by rewNATION View Post
    I'm not worried about it even though I don't fully understand what this means. It's only a one time fee of $30, not a big deal
    It's $30 every time you upgrade your device... and the point of it all is that it was a money grab at $18... at $30, it's obscene. These "service providers" know no shame...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

I only upgrade once every two years so it's not a big deal to me. $30 isn't going to break the bank for me (seems like it will for a lot of other people in here). If people can afford to buy expensive phones at retail, then this shouldn't be a problem for them.

Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version

We, as consumers, are underestimating our power. The problem is a lack of unity as well as a willingness to accept what we're given as 'just how it is' and 'we can't do anything about it'. But since we are too eager to have the latest & greatest, we sign their contracts & tolerate the nickel & diming even though we gripe & moan about it. You'd be surprised at how fast companies would back down if we the consumer stood unified in opposition of something. That's my take on it, anyway.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

I only upgrade once every two years so it's not a big deal to me. $30 isn't going to break the bank for me (seems like it will for a lot of other people in here). If people can afford to buy expensive phones at retail, then this shouldn't be a problem for them.
    i think you're missing the point here. yes, we all know that we can pay this without a problem

point being, if 4000 customers upgrade every day then some corporate **** is filling their pocket twice the amount, or whatever, as they used to. for what reason, is why people are getting mad

with your analogy then why not just make it $100 every couple of years. would that be fine with you?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

that's just business...$100 makes no sense. if i only upgrade once every two years then it would still be $30 wouldn't it?

Global Posts
    3,643 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think it's ridiculous that carriers charge you to upgrade your equipment via service fee. At minimum they should give you the option for home activation with no fee. It's not hard to do a imei swap from your browser, and really what does it cost them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

It's not about the money "breaking" me. I can well afford it.. but this is about the principle of screwing over the paying customer just because they can get away with it. It's nothing but an ugly, greedy money grab.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5??

Ditto. If im willing to shell out hundreds for a new iPhone then what's 30 more??
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

This fee is a non issue. And the last i checked our friends at Apple are sitting with almost a trillion dollars in the bank. Yet, I hear no one complaining about the prices they charge for their products.

Everyone enjoys the convenience of buying a $650 iPhone at the cost of $300 when they upgrade, and who do you think subsidizes the rest? Yup, Verizon. Apple sure isn't providing them with any discounts. And when consumers break contracts early, paying a termination fee still doesn't always add up to the cost of what Verizon paid for the device. In the end they lose.

When you look at things as a whole, you can better see VZ is not trying to line there pockets. But merely, trying to offset some the costs from broken commitments and other things. When carriers subsidize phones it immediately impacts there bottom line (negatively). Remember, they pay in advance to Apple the full cost of the device. What if the carriers didn't subsidize a device? Now that would be reason to complain.

So, you can still choose to be upset with Verizon over such an insignificant fee. However, save some of your anger for Apple, who continues to rake in record quarterly profits then, ask them to slash the prices of their products by $30 and see how that works out for everyone.
    Last edited by Adawg1203; 04-14-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adawg1203 View Post
    This fee is a non issue. And the last i checked our friends at Apple are sitting with almost a trillion dollars in the bank. Yet, I hear no one complaining about the prices they charge for their products.

Everyone enjoys the convenience of buying a $650 iPhone at the cost of $300 when they upgrade, and who do you think subsidizes the rest? Yup, Verizon. Apple sure isn't providing them with any discounts. And when consumers break contracts early, paying a termination fee still doesn't always add up to the cost of what Verizon paid for the device. In the end they lose.

When you look at things as a whole, you can better see VZ is not trying to line there pockets. But merely, trying to offset some the costs from broken commitments and other things. When carriers subsidize phones it immediately impacts there bottom line (negatively). Remember, they pay in advance to Apple the full cost of the device. What if the carriers didn't subsidize a device? Now that would be reason to complain.

So, you can still choose to be upset with Verizon over such an insignificant fee. However, save some of your anger for Apple, who continues to rake in record quarterly profits then, ask them to slash the prices of their products by $30 and see how that works out for everyone.

Your rant makes no sense. The upgrade fee applies to all their phones - Blackberries, Androids, iPhones, flip phones.

Verizon already makes ridiculous profits and are just getting greedier. Blaming Apple for Verizon's greed is just lame.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast