iPhone 4.0 OS Might See Facebook Integration

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
There's already OEM apps I wish I could delete so if they integrate it and not have it removable I think that would suck. I'm sure there are tons of people who own iPhones and don't use Facebook so it would just be another app icon that gets put on the last page of non-existence.

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
I'm with ^

I'm ok as long as the phone isn't designed around it because while I am for some reason still on Facebook, and have plenty of friends, I really couldn't care less what they are doing when i I'll out my phone to make a call. I hate that "backgrounding" some phones have where the fb is the main point of the phone.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
And I really don't want the "feature" that WebOS has where my FB contacts are integrated into my real contacts. I don't need separate contact listings for my pre-teen nephews. Seriously. I like choosing my own contact photos. When I call my son I want to see his picture, not the picture of his latest album that he uses to advertise on FB.

Seriously.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
There's already OEM apps I wish I could delete so if they integrate it and not have it removable I think that would suck. I'm sure there are tons of people who own iPhones and don't use Facebook so it would just be another app icon that gets put on the last page of non-existence.

Apple would never force you to have a third party app. If they included it at all which they wouldn't, they would allow you to delete it as well. This is more talking about allowing you to use settings to login to a facebook account (if you choose to) and enable different features like contact synchronization, possibly a "like" or "share" option in the browser, uploading photos to Facebook from the Photos app, and system-wide Facebook connect support for a more seamless Facebook Connect experience. Of course this would all be optional as Apple can't assume that every single person has a Facebook account.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It would be nice to have an automatic sync with facebook contacts that you have names and numbers for already, but it has to be optional.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Alli, I'd imagine it would sync photos to contacts only that you haven't already put photos for.

@big9erfan There is absolutely 0% chance of this not being optional.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
But that's part of my point - if I didn't put photos to a contact, I don't want to see them...or whatever they're using as an avatar. I've friended a lot of people on FB strictly because they either follow me on Twitter, or listen to my podcast...I don't want or need them in my contacts. (No offense anyone.)

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
But that's part of my point - if I didn't put photos to a contact, I don't want to see them...or whatever they're using as an avatar. I've friended a lot of people on FB strictly because they either follow me on Twitter, or listen to my podcast...I don't want or need them in my contacts. (No offense anyone.)

This happened to my coworker. He bought a Pre the first day it was available. As soon as he signed into his Facebook account, the phone automatically pulled in every single one of his Facebook contacts into his address book on his Pre. No switch, no options, no anything. He was peeved just a little bit. ;)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

I'm totally with you here, but I don't think they'd create a contact for those that don't exist in your phone. I think they'd probably show you a list of Facebook contacts that have a phone number that will match to your contacts if you have them and you would be able to decide which contacts you do not want in your Phone contacts of those with numbers. Hard to explain but I doubt it will be like the Palm Pre's where they just throw everyone into your contacts.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't think this is a good move on apple's part with all the privacy concerns around facebook these days the last thing i want is it interrogated into my phone i would rather be able to install that app on my own if i choose to do so

Like I said in another post, it will definitely be optional. You wouldn't have to use it if you don't want to. Apple wouldn't force you to use Facebook. That's just not how it works.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Like I said in another post, it will definitely be optional. You wouldn't have to use it if you don't want to. Apple wouldn't force you to use Facebook. That's just not how it works.

these people just don't seem to get jello...either that or they don't read previous posts.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Everyone "gets" jello. It's just that everyone realizes he doesn't know any more about the "possible integration" than anyone else commenting in the thread. So despite his constant assurance of "it will be optional," nobody knows if it will be or not - and would rather not have it at all...optional or not.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Everyone "gets" jello. It's just that everyone realizes he doesn't know any more about the "possible integration" than anyone else commenting in the thread. So despite his constant assurance of "it will be optional," nobody knows if it will be or not - and would rather not have it at all...optional or not.

I agree 100%!

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Judging from the way apple has acted in the past, it will 100% be optional if at all. You would have to sign into your account either way for the phone to access it, there's one clue. Now the options it gives you after you choose to exercise that option is a different story. But I'm about 50% sure they'll let you turn on and off stuff. And I feel that the majority of the 35 million people using facebook on their iPhone's will surely use this feature. They already connect their facebooks to every single 3rd party app that is capable. I definitley don't do that because I hate clutter on my facebook, but depending on the options they give you, I think I will use it.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, it will definitely be optional because you have to sign in to your account. If you don't want to use it, don't input your account details. Simple as that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2