anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We saw this movie actually about a week ago...but I forgot to review it here.

This was a beautiful film...plain and simple. A historic record of this incredible human being done with some hollywood flair. Admittedly, I don't know a world about Martin Luther King or his team of extraordinary men, but watching this movie, I felt that I learned a lot more than I would have just reading a book or watching a documentary.

The performances were stellar. Were they oscar shoe ins? I don't know, but I was truly impressed with what I saw. Emotional and true to period...everyone in the movie felt purposed, and that was enough for me!

I loved it...maybe not my favorite movie, but still a work of art.

anijh

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Planned on seeing it yesterday but the schedule didn't go as planned so maybe tomorrow or Friday. I'm seeing a lot of good reviews from people who've watched it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maureen Dowd in the NY Times called the portrayal of LBJ an "Artfull falsehood"...

You know, this harps back to me being ignorant of the subject...but the movie DEFINITELY portrayed him as a "villain" of sorts...and then used him as a plot tool to show triumph by the end of the story. This may be exactly as it happened in the eyes of the people who were telling the story, because as we know, point of view is everything when telling a story, and there's always more than one side. I can imagine that the president was represented in a more negative fashion to make the story more dramatic and make the ending more sensational. I don't necessarily like when this is done because representation of a historic figure is really all that person has in this nature...but it worked well within the story, so as a movie lover, the story felt balanced as it was.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Maureen Dowd in the NY Times called the portrayal of LBJ an "Artfull falsehood"...

This woman is so pathetic that if she said the sky was blue, I'd have to walk outside and verify it myself. She's a disgrace to everyone in journalism.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The LBJ portrayal,had to be really beyond the pale for MoDo to call it bad... Yeah, she's a liberal hack... Like the broken clock, she can be correct on occasion.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
The way LBJ is portrayed in Selma is one of Hollywood's all time greatest efforts in rewriting efforts. I am discouraging my students from seeing the movie because of it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd encourage sudents to see it - with a healthy knowledge and skepticism that there are 3 versions to every story... what I think happened... what they think happened... and what really happened.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2