Exodus: Gods and Kings

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Wife really wanted to see this movie, but we were both quite apprehensive as the last time we went to go see one of these biblically adapted big budget movies (Noah), we were not only let down, but kind of confused as to what exactly the director was trying to do (if you've seen Noah, and are familiar at all with the actual biblical story, you'll know exactly what I mean).

This film does a much better job of sticking to the facts (for the most part), but it does take some liberties on what the writers and director interpreted the words as (since so many things in the bible can be interpreted so differently). I really enjoyed the layout and pacing of the story as it never felt like it dragged...and when the various plagues came about, they did it in a nicely laid out way where each one got it's own sufficient screen time, but you were hit back to back to back to back by them, making it feel like the onslaught I'm sure it would have been in real life.

Christian Bale played Moses VERY well...but I think he may have been just a little too gruff for what I've always envisioned moses to be...then again, maybe my historic thought on it is wrong and this one was right.

Joel Edgerton's Ramses was a problem for me. I felt he was far too effeminate, and just seemed like kind of a wimp through the whole movie. He'd *sigh* and he'd give a pouty lip sometimes, and his emotional range just kind of seemed more like a guy throwing a temper tantrum more than what I would have thought of an egyptian pharaoh who went through this era.

Overall, I left satisfied with the movie, but I wasn't blown away or anything by it. I doubt I'd watch it again.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nice review Sean, I plan on seeing this sometime over the weekend. Did you catch the 3D version or just the regular one?

3D version...but it really wasn't a huge selling factor, it just happened to be the only version that was playing in our Regal theater's VIP 21+ auditorium. I would have chosen the non-3D version if it was showing in the same format.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
"The movie fails to find the story?s beating heart. For all of the care and imagination that have been lavished on the production, the film?s impact is best expressed by frequent aerial shots that are visually impressive and emotionally remote. None of this is Mr. Bale?s fault; he?s forceful and tightly focused. Additionally, the film has been criticized for casting Egyptian roles with white actors?among them John Turturro, who makes an extremely odd Seti, Ramses? father. Perhaps the most damaging aspects of this ?Exodus? are the pedestrian tone of the script."
- J. Morgenstern, wsj

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Planning on catching this after church today. Should be a good segue from third Sunday of Advent. 😊

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The movie fails to find the story’s beating heart. For all of the care and imagination that have been lavished on the production, the film’s impact is best expressed by frequent aerial shots that are visually impressive and emotionally remote. None of this is Mr. Bale’s fault; he’s forceful and tightly focused. Additionally, the film has been criticized for casting Egyptian roles with white actors—among them John Turturro, who makes an extremely odd Seti, Ramses’ father. Perhaps the most damaging aspects of this “Exodus” are the pedestrian tone of the script.

Did you just plagiarize a bunch of professional reviews here? LOL! I knew I recognized a bit of your review from somewhere, but couldn't place it. I then realized it was from the wall street journal...Joe Morgenstern to be specific. If you're going to take a bunch of reviews and splice them together, at least do the original authors justice and cite them properly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh