Interstellar...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was so incredibly excited about this movie. I buy into anything Christopher Nolan puts his hand on, so I instantly KNEW this was going to be an epic space sci-fi.

After seeing it, I have some conflicted opinions of the entire experience.

For starters, it IS an epic sci-fi movie. It is beautiful scored, the cinematography was amazing, the acting was beyond good and the overall feel the entire time is engrossing and overwhelming. I cannot complain about the quality of this movie...it is EVERYTHING you would expect and more from the director and Hans Zimmer (who did genius work with music and sound). The characters were awesome, and the robots in this movie were unique and possibly the best part of the movie...hilarious but VERY cool.

The story is where I start getting a bit skeptical of whether I actually even liked the movie. (SPOILERS AHEAD)!!!

So referencing (many times) back to 2001: A Space Odyssey, there were so many strange time travel, 4th dimension/extra dimensional plots about it about 75% into the movie...up to that point, it was a very strange, jumpy family story that many times lost my attention while I just looked at it from an external view. They attempted to be extremely cerebral with the science of the movie, and in many ways they made dimensional travel interesting to people who would otherwise scoff and look at their watch. I personally found myself enjoying the scenery more than the subject matter...and I don't think that was the intention.

The whole "5th dimension" scene was just bizarre...and while it made total sense to the direct story line, outside of that it was just kind of weird and to me, almost a cop out.

The end was relatively predictable, but I couldn't help feeling a bit unsatisfied just getting the idea that he was going back to find the doctor.

***SPOILERS OVER***

Not a bad movie, not a great movie. Beautiful, engaging, DEEP and audibly orgasmic...but I'm not sure I really liked it much. I enjoyed seeing it visually, but didn't enjoy the story, if that makes sense.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I just saw this today. Absolutely phenomenal movie in my opinion. The only parts that made me cringe were the ice clouds and Anne Hathaway's love monologue(I get what she was saying but no way a logical physicist or person would accept her reasoning) but other than that, loved it. I love how Nolan fleshes out his movies and they don't feel rushed. Characters are fleshed out. I wish they explained more about the plague though. It was such a huge part of the movie and I know they didn't know much about it but I wanted to know as much as they did and the current state of the world. The physics, while some of it hypothetical/theoretical, was beautiful. The gravitational lensing around the worm hole was gorgeous and the most of all, how time dilation caused such an emotional heartbreak. I am a physicist and it is rare for me that a movie doesn't totally blow off actual physics and not only that but uses them in such a wonderful way to pull you in emotionally. Seeing your child on their deathbed...damn, I nearly cried. I wish his daughter wanted more time with him though. They spent such a long time apart and he was basically in and out without being much affected. He then took off to be with Anne Hathaway when throughout the movie all he wanted to do was return to his kids. I haven't been to the movies in such a long time because of all the crap they turn out and even though I was really excited about this from the previews, in the back of my mind I was preparing myself to be disappointed. I'm glad I wasn't. Also, I am glad they didn't go with the "god" explanation and instead something more believable like higher dimensional beings who are not fully able to act within this Universe but via a Black Hole, able to save the human race indirectly.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I love how Nolan fleshes out his movies and they don't feel rushed.

You see, to me I feel that many of the characters DID feel rushed...almost as rushed as the introduction into the project itself. Cooper felt well fleshed out, as did his daughter (both young and old), his son especially (where we got this crazy emotional roller coaster of his life and loss and how he handled it so differently than his dad though we were pushed to think he was so much like him in the beginning).

I don't feel like I got to know Hathaway's character at all except from a facade POV...or her dad, who Michael Caine did a monumental job playing, but to me, really didn't let us know who they were, especially since they had such an epic part to the ultimate plot.

The other people in the movie were seriously scatter shot...Matt Damon was decently fleshed out as the stranded survivalist, though I think they had to trick us with him to make him work obviously.

Romilly, I feel, was one of the most tragic limited characters in the movie, and there was so much more we could have learned from him...I mean for god's sake, he spent two decades living in the orbital ship studying the black hole...I wish we got some insight to his psyche while that happened, I wish we got to see (maybe even from TARS POV) his existence...I mean he said he spent long gaps not sleeping in stasis, so man...I just instantly connected to this guy and he was so short lived. It actually depressed me a bit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro