Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

Default Gone Girl...

Went and saw this with my wife yesterday. Had been looking forward to it since the director had done a couple of my historically favorite films Fight Club and Se7en...and personally, I kind of like Ben Affleck in serious roles (for example The Town).

For those who don't know, this movie is about a married couple who are basically telling the story of their lives and then, one day out of the blue, the wife disappears and is presumed dead based on Ben Affleck's character returning home from his sister's bar and finding his house broken into and tossed about. The story takes a very raw and intimate look into several different "sides" of the crime, including the ever present media sensationalism that we find in the real world every day. As the story develops, we watch the investigators get deeper and deeper into a very abnormal and twisted relationship between husband and wife...

You've been warned...

...so after about an hours worth of dramatic and dark story telling from the side of Amy (the wife, played by Rosamund Pike), we start to see some very strange occurrences between her and Nick (Ben Affleck). We see that they had devolved into this almost hateful couple and had all but come to the end/divorce, and that is where Amy went off the deep end.

Amy was never kidnapped or murdered, and had actually run away while also setting up this very elaborate setup for Nick to fall into making it seem like he murdered her as the violent, vindictive husband...while attempting to destroy his personal life and family, and edging him closer and closer to the death penalty for her murder.

It was insane seeing the twist come into play, and very disturbing to say the least...the imagery and cinematography were spot on in keeping you enveloped in this intense and very psychological game she was playing. She literally played the perfect game all the way until the end.

...END SPOILERS...

...I felt this was a solid movie, if not fairly disturbing both psychologically and through it's imagery. Beautifully scored and shot, and truly dark in so many ways. After it was over though, I couldn't help but feel a bit robbed at the end...as the story built up to this assumptive climax that kind of never happened, and I felt very unsatisfied with their "leave it to your own interpretation" closure...there are definitely movies where this works (IE: Inception), but this wasn't one of them. I actually turned to my wife after the credits started rolling and said "You've got to be ******* kidding me." She felt very similar as well.

All in all, it's definitely worth seeing, but maybe waiting for a Netflix night would be more appropriate.
    Beyond Fire likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

459 Posts
    Global Posts
    875 Global Posts

Default Re: Gone Girl...

Nice review, I was gonna watch this yesterday but it was between this movie and Equalizer. I had to go with Equalizer just cause Denzel is a complete badass. I was worried Gone Girl would have been boring but didn't realize what kind of movie this would be. I love twists and now I kinda regret reading your spoiler. Oh well, I'll still watch this when it comes on TV or Netflix.

Thanks for the review, was wondering. Saw the sales were up for the second weekend.
    iMore Genius

6,424 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,805 Global Posts

I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. Considering that I think Ben Afleck is a really bad actor. The way it unfolded kept me really engaged. There didn't seem to be any moment or scene that wasn't relative to the story going on. In other words, there wasn't any throw-away scene.

I was okay with the end. I really didn't assume what would happen. Those were some sick people.
    iMore Expert

967 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts

Wife and I just finished this. We both had the same reaction as Sean and his. Thought it was a good movie, but the end was a giant WTF moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk