Robin Williams

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
R.I.P. Robin, I will enjoy all your movies just a little bit more now as I imagine you are by my side and cry more at the end of Dead Poets Society. P.S. CBS were the real crazy ones for canceling your show.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Such a sad event. Prayers to his family. All I've heard is how much of a great guy he was. He will be missed. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone 5s

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Please, just read this article.

Robin Williams and Why Funny People Kill Themselves | Cracked.com

As an actor myself, I never had the chance to work with Robin but a number of my friends did and one of them in particular is absolutely devastated by this news.

Robin had the same acting coach as I did in Los Angeles and my acting coach is distraught too. That article rings true for me in a lot of ways. I was a fat kid and the only way I could stop the bullying and make the pain go away was through making people laugh. I'm not a depressed person but it is not difficult to see how someone may seem happy-go-lucky on the surface but be a roiling mass of depression and self-loathing underneath.

RIP Robin... Oh Captain, my Captain.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I saw this info this morning. Apparently, there are several films with Williams already done, and ready for release:

(NEWSER) – Though the world has lost Robin Williams, his work lives on—including a fair bit we haven't seen yet. The actor has four movies due out relatively soon, showcasing his comic and dramatic range—not to mention some voice acting.

• The drama Boulevard, which has appeared at the Tribeca Film Festival already, tells the tale of a married man's involvement with a street hustler. The film features Bob Odenkirk and Kathy Baker and is directed by Dito Montiel; its release date isn't certain.

• Williams will lend his voice to a dog in a new comedy directed by Monty Python alum Terry Jones. Also starring Simon Pegg and Kate Beckinsale, Absolutely Anything is the story of a teacher who gets supernatural powers from aliens. Its release is set for 2015,Entertainment Weekly notes.

• As for another project in the works, Mrs. Doubtfire 2, it looks likely to be dropped without Williams, Varietyreports.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I saw this info this morning. Apparently, there are several films with Williams already done, and ready for release:

(NEWSER) – Though the world has lost Robin Williams, his work lives on—including a fair bit we haven't seen yet. The actor has four movies due out relatively soon, showcasing his comic and dramatic range—not to mention some voice acting.

• The drama Boulevard, which has appeared at the Tribeca Film Festival already, tells the tale of a married man's involvement with a street hustler. The film features Bob Odenkirk and Kathy Baker and is directed by Dito Montiel; its release date isn't certain.

• Williams will lend his voice to a dog in a new comedy directed by Monty Python alum Terry Jones. Also starring Simon Pegg and Kate Beckinsale, Absolutely Anything is the story of a teacher who gets supernatural powers from aliens. Its release is set for 2015,Entertainment Weekly notes.

• As for another project in the works, Mrs. Doubtfire 2, it looks likely to be dropped without Williams, Varietyreports.

Well, it will be dropped because only Robin can play the part. I can see no other person.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
truly tragic news. And suicide. Well he was a great actor, and i feel lucky enough to be old enough to remember when mork and mindy was on, him coming out of the egg, sitting in chairs wrong, Pam Dawber, etc. And then all the great great movies he was in. Truly very sad

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to stay away from comments about this. I have triggers (my uncle committed suicide and my mother attempted it). All the 'selfish' and 'coward' comments are making me angry.

Apparently poor Zelda Williams quit her social accounts because of trolls sending abusive messages and photos to her.

When someone is so depressed that they make up their mind to end it, all they feel is relief and that everyone in their world would be better off without them. That isn't selfish, not to them. To them is selfless. That's the scary part of mental illness.

I remember having an adverse reaction to a medication I never should have been on due to the family history of bipolarism, and it triggered a depression in me and made me suicidal. I remember sitting on the floor with a bottle of pills and feeling completely disconnected from everything. It was the single most terrifying feeling I've ever had.

As far as Robin Williams goes, he gave us all so much more than we gave him. He's left a legacy of work that speaks volumes. He is irreplaceable and we won't ever see someone like him again.

Mental illness sucks.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When you have a family or you invest in friends...you cease to have only a singular responsibility in this world...your actions ripple, and sometimes they ripple in a HUGE way (in Robin Williams case, a monumentally huge way).

I used the term selfish and I don't regret it. I actually felt true sadness at the loss of this man, but you know...he took his own life and gave up on the fight that is life. There could be a billion reasons that lead up to it within his mental illness, but in the end, his exit from this world came at a very heavy cost...one that, in my opinion, was quite selfish. I feel sorry for his poor family and his close friends...the devastation of which has to be epic and absolutely heart wrenching.

I wouldn't personally call him a coward, but looking at it in a general sense, the description does fit a suicide...albeit quite untactful.

...in the end we all grieve differently. I've always been one that gets angry at people who do really REALLY preventable and "selfish" things before taking their last bow. Drug overdoses, suicides, drunk driving...I've had them all hit close to home throughout my life, and each time I just echo "Why?" Mental illnesses are such an ugly thing...I hate them, because they are so easily hidden, and so easily misguiding...

If a person's choice of words make you angry...sit back and think about why. Are you angry at those saying selfish or coward because they are being too blunt, untactful or compassionless? Empathy is a weird thing...but I'd say before getting angry at someone who would say those things (unless they are just obviously being a jacka$$), look at what they are saying, and try to imagine why they are saying it. I assure you that my assessment of suicide as being selfish is not a pot shot at Robin Williams, I just have such an immense hatred for the act of suicide that it actually makes me angry when it happens.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My cousin shot himself with his shotgun about ten years ago. he left behind a wife and two children. His wife has fallen to pieces and she won't have anything to do with the rest of the family at all. One of his children, previously a really good kid, has turned to crime as a way of lashing out against the society it thinks failed his dad.

When I was twenty, I stopped a friend from committing suicide by sitting with her all night and talking to her about why she will be missed if she popped the shedload of pills she had stacked up in front of her. Telling her that she had friends and family who loved her and would help her through the rough times, after all, that's what friends and family are for. It was one of the hardest nights of my life.

I'm not saying this to look big, I am saying this because suicide has touched my life too and I get a jolt every time someone I know or respect takes their own life. I don't think it's cowardly to take your own life but I will say it takes even more courage to face your problems and work them out. You are never alone in this world, no matter what you think. There will always be people around, friends and sometimes even strangers who are trained to help you through these difficult times. People that will not judge you and will listen to everything you have to say and then hold you and help you work through the problems you have.

In the UK, we have the Samaritans, a country wide network with a suicide hotline staffed by volunteers who give up their time to counsel and help anyone who calls. Doubtless there is something similar in the USA too.

Suicide is never the answer as although you may be ending your suffering, you are just starting the suffering of family, loved ones and friends who may have been previously unaware that you were hurting.

gatti

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
As a tribute, I searched for the first show I watched of him: Mork and Mindy! And guess what I found... "Fonze Finds Mork a Date". Amazingly classic and the one episode that I don't remember watching!

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Please, just read this article.

Robin Williams and Why Funny People Kill Themselves | Cracked.com

As an actor myself, I never had the chance to work with Robin but a number of my friends did and one of them in particular is absolutely devastated by this news.

Robin had the same acting coach as I did in Los Angeles and my acting coach is distraught too. That article rings true for me in a lot of ways. I was a fat kid and the only way I could stop the bullying and make the pain go away was through making people laugh. I'm not a depressed person but it is not difficult to see how someone may seem happy-go-lucky on the surface but be a roiling mass of depression and self-loathing underneath.

RIP Robin... Oh Captain, my Captain.

Read the article. Good read.