Her (the movie)

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I just saw Her.

It was excellent. The characters and the script were terrific.

It definitely shows a dark side of technology, and shows that technology cannot replace real relationships with people.

The scene where 'Samantha' tells Theodore that 'she' has relationships with over 8k other people/OSes and is in love with over 600 of those is particularly compelling. While Theodore is sitting on the stairs of the subway, he observes many different people interacting with their OSes, while 'Samantha' describes 'her' relationships with all of these other people/OSes.

Incidentally, I noticed that 'Samantha' is OS/1 in the movie. IBM, which had the real OS/2, also happened to be the inventor of voice-recognition software. I wonder if the name of the OS is the movie was deliberately chosen for that reason.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I want to see this

Anyone remember Cherry 1000 I thing that's what it was called a robot girlfriend he needed a replacement had the disk but had to go to the badlands to get her

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Me and the wife watched it...it was exactly was uncomfortable as I thought it would be, but I certainly didn't expect it to be as odd as it was. I mean in the first few minutes, the part with the choking the lady with the dead cat, or the just plain odd way they portray people conversing with each other in this "future time" was just off setting.

I went into it thinking I wouldn't like it...I left it realizing I was right.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one here that was watching the underlying storyline? Human/AI relationship awkward, got it, got it beforehand, but there's so much more, SO MUCH....more to the movie than that very basic premise that it's marketed as. And it's all the other things this movie is about that I truly enjoy learning about and discussing. If you didn't like it, watch it again, but ignore the love story BS, I can't guarantee you'll enjoy it, but maybe it'll shed a different light on the film for you.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one here that was watching the underlying storyline? Human/AI relationship awkward, got it, got it beforehand, but there's so much more, SO MUCH....more to the movie than that very basic premise that it's marketed as. And it's all the other things this movie is about that I truly enjoy learning about and discussing. If you didn't like it, watch it again, but ignore the love story BS, I can't guarantee you'll enjoy it, but maybe it'll shed a different light on the film for you.

I got the underlying story the first time I watched it...I couldn't stand the film in almost every facet you could approach it from. The only thing I thought was clever was how they represented the ingrained way technology was implemented into everyone's life...the way people were simply neutral to people speaking to their own equipment out loud while amongst other strangers in common places...that was it, everything else was just a weird, awkward and not every entertaining film to me.

I've grown to understand that sometimes films are popular just because they are odd...and not because they are good. To me, this defines this film.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I got the underlying story the first time I watched it...I couldn't stand the film in almost every facet you could approach it from. The only thing I thought was clever was how they represented the ingrained way technology was implemented into everyone's life...the way people were simply neutral to people speaking to their own equipment out loud while amongst other strangers in common places...that was it, everything else was just a weird, awkward and not every entertaining film to me.

I've grown to understand that sometimes films are popular just because they are odd...and not because they are good. To me, this defines this film.

Fair point, I enjoyed for the way it showed the way human interaction is heading, and technological interaction as well. I also enjoyed the way it brought up existential questions and showed how easy it is to live and be happy, if it weren't for human emotions. And also how it portrayed emotions are more complex than we allow them to be. But then again I also enjoy movies such as Waking Life and Primer.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Fair point, I enjoyed for the way it showed the way human interaction is heading, and technological interaction as well. I also enjoyed the way it brought up existential questions and showed how easy it is to live and be happy, if it weren't for human emotions. And also how it portrayed emotions are more complex than we allow them to be. But then again I also enjoy movies such as Waking Life and Primer.

I really liked Primer...never saw Waking Life. I guess I just didn't appreciate the fact that the writers of "Her" struggled to get past some of the in your face graphic interaction amongst the characters and situations to really push the parts of the story you mentioned you liked. I mean I get it, people are much less "prude" (for lack of better term) when it comes to electronic interaction...constantly through the movie you are presented with an uncomfortable "fake" interaction of sex and emotion that was just a bit much to me.

It just felt they tried to hard to exploit those parts of the story instead of other really more subtle (but far more interesting) elements of the future society, to me.

That's just my opinion though. Obviously a lot of people liked it like you did...the thing is eating up awards on the indy circuit.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I really liked Primer...never saw Waking Life. I guess I just didn't appreciate the fact that the writers of "Her" struggled to get past some of the in your face graphic interaction amongst the characters and situations to really push the parts of the story you mentioned you liked. I mean I get it, people are much less "prude" (for lack of better term) when it comes to electronic interaction...constantly through the movie you are presented with an uncomfortable "fake" interaction of sex and emotion that was just a bit much to me.

It just felt they tried to hard to exploit those parts of the story instead of other really more subtle (but far more interesting) elements of the future society, to me.

That's just my opinion though. Obviously a lot of people liked it like you did...the thing is eating up awards on the indy circuit.

It's all a matter of preference, I think the fakeness of it was intentional. If you can find Waking Life, it's an existential film that questions reality. It's basically a conversation, but I find it quite enjoyable. It was shot live action then later animated, and the animation is jittery.

93Aero

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I saw the movie and really liked it. But is it the dark side of tech or how we use and interact with it.
How many of us try to ask Siri questions we shouldn't.

Sent from my Q10 using iMore Forums mobile app

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
It's all a matter of preference, I think the fakeness of it was intentional. If you can find Waking Life, it's an existential film that questions reality. It's basically a conversation, but I find it quite enjoyable. It was shot live action then later animated, and the animation is jittery.

I'll have to check out that movie. It sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner