12 Years a Slave...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was not entirely excited to see this film, mainly because the subject matter tends to disturb me, but my wife wanted to see it badly, so we went.

This is a POWERFUL movie, but is also incredibly graphic, a touch too "real", and over all, VERY hard to watch. It is exactly what I was afraid it was going to be.

Anyone thinking of going to see it, understand that you're going to get the following in buckets full...

- Graphic violence
- Graphic sexual situations (including rape)
- Extreme language
- Disturbing visuals (it's exactly what the title implies).

...you are essentially watching a free man's life as he is falsely enslaved by several very horrific plantation owners about 15-20 years before the Civil War. You see his struggles, and the just nightmarish reality that was every day life for so many slaves of the time. You also see the differences between the good and bad plantation owners (if you could call them that..."good" and bad).

Fantastic movie, truly memorable and something I definitely recommend...but man, prepare yourself.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I was not entirely excited to see this film, mainly because the subject matter tends to disturb me, but my wife wanted to see it badly, so we went.

This is a POWERFUL movie, but is also incredibly graphic, a touch too "real", and over all, VERY hard to watch. It is exactly what I was afraid it was going to be.

Anyone thinking of going to see it, understand that you're going to get the following in buckets full...

- Graphic violence
- Graphic sexual situations (including rape)
- Extreme language
- Disturbing visuals (it's exactly what the title implies).

...you are essentially watching a free man's life as he is falsely enslaved by several very horrific plantation owners about 15-20 years before the Civil War. You see his struggles, and the just nightmarish reality that was every day life for so many slaves of the time. You also see the differences between the good and bad plantation owners (if you could call them that..."good" and bad).

Fantastic movie, truly memorable and something I definitely recommend...but man, prepare yourself.

I'm still on the fence about seeing it.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It's an absolutely beautiful film...you really should try it. It's tough to watch visually, but the story is so wonderfully laid out...it very deservingly won the academy award for best picture.

I guess I can put on my big girl panties and watch it. I know its going to be a bit disturbing but at least I know that in advance and can prepare a little.

Thanks Sean!!!

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It was a good movie but we thought it a little too strong for our youngest but definitely a film our 14 year-old self-proscribed "princess" needs to see. I'm not sure beautiful is the adjective I'd use but certainly a great great movie!

via the tablet

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It was a good movie but we thought it a little too strong for our youngest but definitely a film our 14 year-old self-proscribed "princess" needs to see. I'm not sure beautiful is the adjective I'd use but certainly a great great movie!

via the tablet

The film/story was beautiful...the content is obviously not. Beauty doesn't always equate to happiness...there is beauty in the bravery he showed when protecting people, when taking a risk to even tell his story to people who he had no idea if he could trust...the beauty of a man who was stripped of a wonderful life and forced into servitude again and how he didn't just give up anymore. A reunion with his expanded family...the people who helped him along the way who could have been (and were) killed for doing so...and his struggle to walk away from the slew of people he served with.

Like I said...beautiful film about an absolutely nightmarish scenario. You know what else was a beautiful film? Children of Men. The movie and story itself couldn't be much more downtrodden or dark, but there was beauty in it.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The film/story was beautiful...the content is obviously not. Beauty doesn't always equate to happiness...there is beauty in the bravery he showed when protecting people, when taking a risk to even tell his story to people who he had no idea if he could trust...the beauty of a man who was stripped of a wonderful life and forced into servitude again and how he didn't just give up anymore. A reunion with his expanded family...the people who helped him along the way who could have been (and were) killed for doing so...and his struggle to walk away from the slew of people he served with.

Like I said...beautiful film about an absolutely nightmarish scenario. You know what else was a beautiful film? Children of Men. The movie and story itself couldn't be much more downtrodden or dark, but there was beauty in it.

Point taken, thanks.

via the tablet

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't trying to say your opinion that it wasn't a beautiful movie was wrong...that's your opinion...I was simply trying to clarify mine is all. After reading it, it seemed a bit moody, and I didn't intend for it to be.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't trying to say your opinion that it wasn't a beautiful movie was wrong...that's your opinion...I was simply trying to clarify mine is all. After reading it, it seemed a bit moody, and I didn't intend for it to be.

But you were indeed right. My thought was that it wasn't beautiful was because of my narrow view on what makes a beautiful film. You made me a little less ignorant and that's always a good thing.

via the tablet

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess I can put on my big girl panties and watch it. I know its going to be a bit disturbing but at least I know that in advance and can prepare a little.

Thanks Sean!!!

I waited a while before I saw it so that I could prepare myself. I couldn't! By far one of the best films I've seen but also very hard to watch.

Good thing is it's on blu-Ray and dvd so you can watch and react in private.

I definitely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2