DVD/BD vs iTunes movies

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I used to buy all my really geeky movies on Blu Ray. I loved the picture and sound quality. And all the extra features like directors commentary and deleted scenes.

Then I switched to iTunes. The quality was okay. And it was so much more convenient. I didn't have to go hunting for bits of plastic, I could just turn on my TV and stream immediately.

But now I'm in a quandary. Most of the iTunes movies don't have all the extra features. And even when they do you can't watch them on AppleTV, you have to download them and watch them on iTunes desktop.

That's insane.

So now I think I'm going to go back to disk. Ideally I'd get the ones with digital copies, but either way I think the bonus content on the plastic along with a better picture and sound, still makes it the better overall solution.

Anyone else debating this?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issues. It's so much easier to download, but you miss out on quality and extra content. Plus, you can buy older discs used for cheap. Can't do that with downloads. I'm sticking with purchasing discs for the time being.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Over 1000 discs takes up space, requires furniture investments and was actually a significant part of the decision making process between moving in to one place versus another that had built in shelves. I miss the extra content but I've rationalized by telling myself it'll end up on YouTube eventually and hoping directors take the route of Looper and post a desperate track on the intervenes to download and listen as director commentary. It just was t worth the head ache. Especially as I went through the sane thing, as I watched my tape collection slowly consume my life, break, and become worthless. Eventually I knew all I'd be looking at we're pieces of plastic, and I haven't looked back. Carrot top and Ron Jeremy doing commentary for The Rules of Attraction does make that movie an instant classic for me though! Don't tell me what else I'm missing please.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Over 1000 discs takes up space, requires furniture investments and was actually a significant part of the decision making process between moving in to one place versus another that had built in shelves. I miss the extra content but I've rationalized by telling myself it'll end up on YouTube eventually and hoping directors take the route of Looper and post a desperate track on the intervenes to download and listen as director commentary. It just was t worth the head ache. Especially as I went through the sane thing, as I watched my tape collection slowly consume my life, break, and become worthless. Eventually I knew all I'd be looking at we're pieces of plastic, and I haven't looked back. Carrot top and Ron Jeremy doing commentary for The Rules of Attraction does make that movie an instant classic for me though! Don't tell me what else I'm missing please.

You know you can get a small binder that'll hold 500 DVDs. No need for furniture, just a little space on the bookshelf or by the tv will house 1000's of discs.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You know you can get a small binder that'll hold 500 DVDs. No need for furniture, just a little space on the bookshelf or by the tv will house 1000's of discs.

I can't do just discs with no cover, tried that with DVDs and hated my binders. It's too late anyway, my collection has been drastically reduced.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The upside of the BD disc is BD audio stream cannot be streamed over the net and the extras are really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a decent collection of bluray discs that haven't been touched in probably 2 years...I can't be bothered to get up, put a disc in and fumble around through menus and ads to get to my content...I stream movies over my home network and don't see myself changing...well...ever! I've compared a few movies between the blu ray disc and the streamed counter part and the difference is there, but it's not substantial enough to make me feel the need to fire up the PS3 to watch a bluray.

I think it just comes to what is important in home entertainment...most of the time I watch the movies and TV shows at home and check out extras on my computer at some time down the road...it works for me, but i can see how some things would be preferred on a big screen, which is why i don't see the hard disc going anywhere anytime soon (especially since both Playstation and Xbox will be using the format on their upcoming systems).

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a decent collection of bluray discs that haven't been touched in probably 2 years...I can't be bothered to get up, put a disc in and fumble around through menus and ads to get to my content...I stream movies over my home network and don't see myself changing...well...ever! I've compared a few movies between the blu ray disc and the streamed counter part and the difference is there, but it's not substantial enough to make me feel the need to fire up the PS3 to watch a bluray.

I think it just comes to what is important in home entertainment...most of the time I watch the movies and TV shows at home and check out extras on my computer at some time down the road...it works for me, but i can see how some things would be preferred on a big screen, which is why i don't see the hard disc going anywhere anytime soon (especially since both Playstation and Xbox will be using the format on their upcoming systems).

Buy a disc changer. Sony used to make one you could daisy chain to other changers. They held 400 DVD or BD discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

JillMarieYoung1

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello there! I have tried to watch movies with Itunes, but somehow, I enjoy popping in a DVD better. I tried Blu-Ray, but they are over-price. I like how DVDs & Itunes Movies are similar prices. A long time ago, I went to search for "Disney's The Lion King" on itunes.. However, the movie was dismissed or removed a few months ago. I am so freaking glad I own it on DVD. I wonder if Itunes removes movies like how Disney has the "Disney Vault" thingy. So glad, I stuck with physical DVD formats. Even some of my old favorites like "Wee Sing: Best Christmas Ever" and "Disney's Angel's In the Outfield" are NOT on Itunes... Not even the Star Wars saga! This is why I do not care for itunes as much. For music, the same way. I rather buy CDs for $5 in Walmart, instead of $10 files of music on itunes... Doesn't count for us collectors!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Blu-ray all the way. I rent movies on my Xbox most of the time. But if it's one I want to own I get the Blu-ray. Quality can't be beat.

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I spent Thousands on my DVD, HD DVD & Blu-ray Disc and realized my Collection is literally collecting dust. I wasted so much upgrading the hardware too. I still can't believe I spent $1,000 on my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player or $2,000 when Panasonic came out with the first portable DVD player.

iTunes is so much more convenient. I'll admit the quality is not even close especially when compared to Lossless Audio but I love that I can have access to my library wherever I am.

zdn1042

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
iTunes/digital copies for meh-to-fine-to-good movies. And for the movies that are just awesome or those I'm really into, then Blu-ray for a better overall viewing experience and additional contents.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I spent Thousands on my DVD, HD DVD & Blu-ray Disc and realized my Collection is literally collecting dust. I wasted so much upgrading the hardware too. I still can't believe I spent $1,000 on my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player or $2,000 when Panasonic came out with the first portable DVD player.

iTunes is so much more convenient. I'll admit the quality is not even close especially when compared to Lossless Audio but I love that I can have access to my library wherever I am.

At least you have the HD-XA2...I have the Toshiba HD-A1, LOL! It's bigger than most 80's era VCR's. It's also incredibly slow.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2